LA subforum

NCB

Should Lousiana have its own subforum?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lousiana have its own subforum?

• YES!
    • NO

I tried the LA-MS subforum idea..but the Mississippi half of it isnt working out to well, though i have recieved responses saying there should be a Louisiana or at least a New Orleans forum, and that posting info about what is going on in and around LA would help jump start interest in what is goin on in the state, so im going to start a new "Louisiana only" poll. I want to get rid of the "no because there is no news coming out of Louisiana" ideas, so im going to copy info i posted in the LA-MS subforum thread into here that shows what is going on in LA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.New Orleans-Condo Market BOOMING, two new towers have been planned for New Orleans, one being proposed as 850ft and the other at 950ft. The developers are in a height battle because they both want their building to be the tallest building in N.O. (the current tallest is One Shell Square at 697ft.)

2.Baton Rouge-The importance of Baton Rouge to the country is growing significantly, the amount of international tonnage in the Port of Baton Rouge continues to increase. It is know one of the busiest inland ports in the country.

3.Lafayette-Construction is slated to begin soon on a massive extention of I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans.(I-49 in Louisiana currently runs from Shreveport to Lafayette)

The project will take I-49 through Houma, LA and many mid-size cities south of New Orleans, and it will cross the Mississippi River over the Crescent City Connection and run into I-10 on the NE side of N.O. The plan is called "I-49 South" and it is supposed to drastically reduce traffic on I-10 from Lafayette to New Orleans. Here is the link to the official site

4. Shreveport-Shreveport recently recieved 200 million dollars under the federal highway bill, the money will be used to complete the I-49 expansion from Shreveport to the Arkansas border, and to add on to the "beltway" running around Shreveport and Bossier City.

5. Baton Rouge-According to censusscope.org,The Baton Rouge metro area has had a nearly 15% gain in population since 1990, and the CSA is now up to nearly 800,000 people, the city has increased in population from 217,000 to 227,000 since 1990.

6. New Orleans-New Orleans ranked first in the nation in personal income growth,

and had an overall gain in jobs(for the first time in many many years)

Shreveport ranked second on the list.

Personal Income Growth

2000s (2000-2003)

Fastest growth

New Orleans

Shreveport, La.

Columbus, Ga. <<from biz journals.com full article

Montgomery, Ala.

Fayetteville, N.C.

El Paso, Texas

Charleston, W.Va.

South Bend, Ind.

Anchorage

McAllen, Texas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there enough fourmers from LA for this to happen? Your one of the few I have seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alon 504 and I are both from New Orleans, and if a LA subforum is created word could be spread around about it on New Orleans and Louisiana sports and business sites. So we could certainly get other people from Louisiana to post here.

I think the biggest positive on this, is that even if there aren't a huge amount of people from the area. I'd think there would be enough people interested in New Orleans itself to want to check out news on the city. maybe there's a number of people who have visited New Orleans also.

I'm all for forums if the people want and support them. We have had requests for forums in the past that did not pan out so I want to be careful what we add because I don't like to collapse unneeded forums.

On the other hand if we get some good posters in a section they do tend to take off as UrbanPlanet gets a huge number of visitors each month (millions of hits) and we have had some pretty good successes in a short amount of time. Tallahassee and Arkansas are good examples of this. Our exposure rate means that new people will sign up and join a section if there are good topics there. Charlotte has become so busy that it is 3 subforums now and on its own is busier that many other independant urban forums. Last year this time, I was the only poster in that section and I wondered if I should even have created it.

I'm actually inclined to add LA to see what happens. Opinions on this?

New Orleans might could survive because it seems that so many people are interested in the city. I think several forumers would come to the forum just to hear about New Orleans.

An LA forum is a good idea so long as it and NO aren't separated until more LA forumers join.

ok i was just over on hornetsreport.com(new orleans sport,news, and business website) and one of the forumers over their told me he joined a couple of days ago but hasnt posted yet

Cannonized>>NCB, I just registered over there the other day, but haven't posted yet.

So thats one more new orleans poster, and i know i can get more to come over for an LA forum.

I think a MS/LA forum together would be appropriate. Truth be told, the MS Gulf Coast is its' own identity, but, has very close ties to New Orleans...many over on the Coast follow New Orleans professional sports teams, have season tickets to Six Flags in New Orleans, are members of our zoo, use our airport, etc. And many in New Orleans frequently go to the MS Coast for entertainment. And all of the MS Gulf Coast has New Orleans channels on their local cable so they can view the news out of New Orleans. I'll participate on a LA/MS forum. But, I won't post every day. I'm a bit busy for that, but, I'm sure there will be others that will be interested and post informative subjects and news. MS Gulf Coast + Metro New Orleans, + Metro Baton Rouge + Metro Houma/Thibodeaux = 2.9 Million People. That's worth something, IMO.

New Orleans-Condo Market BOOMING, two new towers have been planned for New Orleans, one being proposed as 850ft and the other at 950ft. The developers are in a height battle because they both want their building to be the tallest building in N.O. (the current tallest is One Shell Square at 697ft.)

Excellent. only 50 feet away from 1000. Let them keep battleing :D

Archived