Expanded Zoo/Wildlife Park

GRDadof3

The zoo of the future? County plan would give John Ball animals room to roam

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

By Kyla King

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Imagine traveling a path with lemurs leaping through the forest ahead of you. Or walking behind waterfalls and river bends to view a grizzly bear catching fish 20 feet below.

How about riding an old-fashioned cable car to view the city from a giant tree house?

All that and more is part of an ambitious $75 million to $100 million plan for John Ball Zoo.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5230.xml&coll=6

The difference this time is they are expecting to raise the money through private donations.

The funicular sounds pretty cool, like this one in France

BC_0023.jpg:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully something can finally happen. The zoo needs help and this seems like a good compromise.

What I found funny is that the people in the Zoo neighborhood opposed the expansion, in some cases violently (I should know I live around there and I supported it). Then, when Meijer offers to move the zoo, the same people that prevented it expansion cried because they did not want to lose it.

It seems to me that these people need to learn how to meet in the middle. The fact is, the zoo needs to grow and will.

While a Wildlife Park in Grand Rapids Township would have been nice, I'm glad they are keeping the Zoo in city. The city really can't afford to loose a destination like the zoo, and I think they can really make this a very unique destination. I've always thought the topography in and of it self made the zoo an interesting place to visit...the idea of this cable lift is great! I also think there will definitely be more opportunities for businesses / restaurants on the Westside with a greater influx of visitors. It

I think it will be a great addition as long as the westside NIMBY's don't get out their yard signs. I sure hope they don't encroach into the park at all or we'll see people get all fired up.

It'll be good to see the park get some better living spaces for the animals too. The older exhibits have to be a pretty depressing place for an animal to hang out its whole life.

Joe

I think it will be a great addition as long as the westside NIMBY's don't get out their yard signs. I sure hope they don't encroach into the park at all or we'll see people get all fired up.

It'll be good to see the park get some better living spaces for the animals too. The older exhibits have to be a pretty depressing place for an animal to hang out its whole life.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now all we need is a pregnant panda and we're golden.

Budgie

Archived