San Diego

Houston

Dallas

Ft. Worth

Jacksonville

Tulsa

Oklahoma City

Phoenix

Half of Kansas City (Clay County, I think)

Anyone else?

Nope not these two.

While it's true that both counties that these cites are in went to Bush. They city itself went to Kerry. Neither of these two cities are conservative. Also Bush BARELY won Dallas county winning only 50% to 49%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did it turn out in Bexar county?

Did SA go for Bush or Kerry?

It has been 44 years since Minneapolis had a Republican Mayor and I can't remeber any Republican city council members. In fact, I don't know if the Republicans even run any candidates.

Makes me wonder have the Republicans given up in the cities -- or is it that they simply have no solutions for urban problems and therefore can't win an election?

92% of voters in the Detroit city limits voted for Kerry in 2004. I recall seeing many Kerry campaign signs, but only one Bush campaign sign in the city. Even suburban Oakland County (which almost always votes Republican) went to Kerry.

It has been 44 years since Minneapolis had a Republican Mayor and I can't remeber any Republican city council members.  In fact, I don't know if the Republicans even run any candidates.

Makes me wonder have the Republicans given up in the cities -- or is it that they simply have no solutions for urban problems and therefore can't win an election?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last sentence in that seemed like a bit of a jab in the wording, and therefore I think we should try to shy away from an all-out political debate. The purpose of this thread is to discuss which cities are politically and/or socially conservative, not the fallacies in republicans or democrats. :thumbsup:

The City of Norfolk, taking my area as an example yet again, is inherently liberal. I'm fairly sure it went Kerry in the election, and even if it didn't, all its city council members are democrats (the only city in Virginia that can claim that). Despite that, I think that the suburbs of Norfolk are very conservative, mostly the areas on the Peninsula and the surburban areas of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. I think that's the model of America though: Most major cities went Kerry in the election and have overwhelmingly liberal leanings while suburban areas went Bush and are inherently more-conservative.

Northwest Arkansas' Benton County is extremely conservative. Not only is it in the top 5 fastest growing counties in the nation, but it is politically and socially conservative. I mean you have Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt-3 powerhouse companies and all the satellite vendor companies that service those companies. It is basically a Walmart Bubble here. Also though, you have a large number of churches that are extremely conservative. The only area that is liberal is Fayetteville and that is because of the U of A. It is a wonderful place to live and people are moving here from all over every day. 1500 people move in the area per month. Amazing!

Well supporters of Gay marriage rights sum it up this way. 

The closer a state is to Canada, the more likely they are to support Gay marriage.  The closer a state is to Texas or any of the square states, the less likely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Geographically Virginia is in the middle, socially we're somewhere between Wyoming and Mexico on that criteria hahaha. I agree though, that about sums it up.

Someone asked about Bexar County. It went for Bush 55 to 44.

San Antonio, though, is much more liberal than its surrounding suburban areas.

Most cities are like this, especially Houston, where I'm almost certain that the polls inside the city went for Kerry, but Harris County still went for Bush.

As for conservative cities, once you start getting smaller there are more chances for more conservatism. You could name off Abilene, Lubbock and Amarillo as three cities which could contend for most conservative. Also cities like Provo, Utah and Virginia Beach with their heavy concentrations of religious zealots.

Also, no one mentioned Oklahoma, which is typically very conservative. Both Oklahoma (OK C) and Tulsa Counties went for Bush by about a 3:2 margin.

For more '04 election results, CNN has a great site.

In the 2004 election, Bush carried Duval County (Jacksonville), Florida by a 58-42 margin. This has to be one of the biggest large city margins for Bush (Duval has over 800,000 people). The margins for Bush were however larger in the surrounding metro counties. For example, St. Johns was Bush 68, Kerry 31, Clay was Bush 76-23, Baker was Bush 78-22 and Nassau was Bush 73-26. As you can see, Northeast FL, with its Southern population base and large military presence, is a Republican stronghold.

here is a graphic that was posted in the Florida forums showing which Florida counties voted what.

presmap1ie.gif

The blue county smack dab in the center of the state is orange county, where orlando is.

Politically, Orlando isn't "very conservative".

Now culturally, it's somewhat conservative compared to some liberal playgrounds like Boston or San Fransisco. But it's got a pretty open gay population, it's extremely diverse and has alot of northerners.

I can't see how you can peg orlando as "very conservative" with the way the city is made up. It's especially nowhere near as conservative as the other cities in your list.

It's interesting that many of those cities ironchapman listed are those with broad city limits that incorporate areas that are effectively suburban in nature. I know this is the case with at least San Diego, Phoenix, and Jacksonville. While I bet those cities are relatively conservative even in their cores, they're probably comporably conservative to what other cities would be if analogous suburban areas were included. Atlanta, for instance, is overwhelmingly democratic inside the city limits -- but also +60% black. It is certainly not a liberal "city," however, in the sense that most people use the term -- when you include such areas as Gwinnett and Cobb counties.

Also, no one mentioned Oklahoma, which is typically very conservative. Both Oklahoma (OK C) and Tulsa Counties went for Bush by about a 3:2 margin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tidbit here: All counties (or boroughs) in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Alaska went for Bush.

All counties in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Hawaii went for Kerry.

Here's my list of very conservative cities:

Salt Lake City

Greenville

Nashville

Little Rock

Orlando (yeah, it's very conservative surprisingly just outside of the tourist areas)  :rofl:

Tulsa

Oklahoma City

Roanoke

Lynchburg

Des Moines

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SLC, Nashville, OKC, and Roanoke in particular. Similarly to Roanoke, Charlottesville may have gone Kerry, but I find the UVA campus to be among the most conservative college/university campuses I've been to.

AND WOW. Lynchburg. I guess I blocked that city out of my mind haha. Jerry Falwell and his cronies' headquarters.... :sick:

Archived