most conservative city

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you guys talk of 'conservative' as though it were a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it is.

Richland County (Columbia) went heavily for Kerry. He won 58-42% in the county and by a greater margin in the city. Richland County is an island of liberalism in South Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That depends on who you talk to. I have my preferences, but you won't ever convince me that one set of politicians is less sleazy than another. They are all politicians...

Anyway. Conservative towns. I think Leonard23 has a good list, so I will agree with his :)

Here's my list of very conservative cities:

Salt Lake City

Greenville

Nashville

Little Rock

Orlando (yeah, it's very conservative surprisingly just outside of the tourist areas)  :rofl:

Tulsa

Oklahoma City

Roanoke

Lynchburg

Des Moines

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know about most of these but Salt Lake CITY doesn't belong on that list. The city itself is actually quite liberal. Just look at the mayor for proof. However, the city is very small in relation to the urban area (<200,000 people vs > 1million), and everywhere outside the city is VERY conservative, and strongly influences the laws and regulations the city must abide by. And hence the reason that I could no longer live there and had to "escape."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends upon what you are talking about. Social conservatives are usually bad as this lot ususally presumes to decide how others should live their lives. (usually justified by the preachings of whatever god and religion they have decided to follow) Fiscal conservatives are not bad as they do not want to deficit spend, grow government, and seek to reduce the financial burdens of government on the common person.

Depends upon what you are talking about.  Social conservatives are usually bad as this lot ususally presumes to decide how others should live their lives. (usually justified by the preachings of whatever god and religion they have decided to follow)    Fiscal conservatives are not  bad as they do not want to deficit spend, grow government, and seek to reduce the financial burdens of government on the common person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, but you'll never convince me that liberals are in any way, shape or form, immune from the charge of imposition.

Boy, I just can't get enough of the 2004 election results. Rivetting! :sick:

I sure wish we could stick a fork in this whole "Red State vs. Blue State" liberal-conservative cr*p. It is only meant to polarize the country in an effort to increase mass media ratings, talk show and talk radio ratings (on both sides), sell books, reinforce prejudices, and get people to vote for the lesser of two or three slimeballs. A polarized populice is much easier to govern and force bad policy on (from both sides of the aisle) I have found that most people have much more in common than not, IMHO ;)

Depends upon what you are talking about.  Social conservatives are usually bad as this lot ususally presumes to decide how others should live their lives. (usually justified by the preachings of whatever god and religion they have decided to follow)    Fiscal conservatives are not  bad as they do not want to deficit spend, grow government, and seek to reduce the financial burdens of government on the common person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, though I don't like using the word "bad" in reference to an entire group of people unless that group is "the people on Texas' death row" or "great dictators of the 20th century". Those groups are generally bad... politicians are generally.... .... :sick: <--I think that sums it up.

By those definitions I'd say I'm a fiscal conservative who is completely 99.9% socially liberal.

What do liberals have to do with your question on conservatives?      If you don't want an answer to a question, then don't ask it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't say I didn't want an answer to my question. I want a good answer to my question. ;)

In any case, carry on with the topic.

In an effort to prevent this topic from further degrading from the main point, I'll go back to this quote...

Don't know about most of these but Salt Lake CITY doesn't belong on that list.  The city itself is actually quite liberal.  Just look at the mayor for proof.  However, the city is very small in relation to the urban area (<200,000 people vs > 1million), and everywhere outside the city is VERY conservative, and strongly influences the laws and regulations the city must abide by. And hence the reason that I could no longer live there and had to "escape."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Meh... Let's just lump that whole state together and call it overwhelmingly conservative. And lmao UTCdude23!

Depends upon what you are talking about.  Social conservatives are usually bad as this lot ususally presumes to decide how others should live their lives. (usually justified by the preachings of whatever god and religion they have decided to follow) 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That interesting, because liberals often presume the same, though in different ways. They think they know what is best, and that the average person does not. But hey, this is just apples and oranges, and completely off topic.

I forgot about Jax. It should definatley be on the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fiscal conservatives are the worst bunch of morons ever. They are so dead set against taxes that they would literally rather every school in the state be shut down than have a small tax increase to fund schools. They would rather cut the budget to programs like social security than face the fact that they are going to cost more to pay for over time. Fiscal conservatives are most of the time middle class and so oblivious to anyone who doesn't live in their social circle, that they are willing to do anything, regardless of who it hurts.

So would you rather see the debt increse to pay for flawed programs and bureacratic nonsense? A fiscal conservative is what this country needs to turn our debt situation around. Not a "tax-and-spend" liberal, or a "cut-taxes -and-spend anyway" republican (ie Bush).

That's a surprise to me that Salt Lake City is "liberal" possibly in context of the sea of conservativism it is in it appears a little more urban and cosmopolitan (usually translating into more liberal). I'd be interested to know more about that, especially since Orrin Hatch the long time "emperor" out there was born and raised (and went to law school) in Pittsburgh. ;)

In some context - all cities are liberal oasis's within a typically conservative rural envirnoment. Even the archtype of liberal states - MA, NY are generally conservative states with liberal urban areas. So - I would be surprised if any urban area isn't more liberal than the surrounding rural area.

teshadoh -- Mississippi? Do you mean Massachusetts? If so that's actually one of the few exceptions to the rural=conservative rule; MA was one of the only states to go blue in every county in 2004, including the extremely rural western part of the state -- and I believe all but one or two went for Kerry by a rather wide

But regardless, your point is a good one.

teshadoh -- Mississippi? Do you mean Massachusetts? If so that's actually one of the few exceptions to the rural=conservative rule; MA was one of the only states to go blue in every county in 2004, including the extremely rural western part of the state -- and I believe all but one or two went for Kerry by a rather wide

But regardless, your point is a good one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops! Yes, I meant MA - I'll change it, thanks...

Nonetheless - MA isn't the best example, as you pointed - that is one of those hard to explain 'independant thinkers' region, such as southern MN that shares a contrary view as opposed to other similar demographic areas.

I found this in the Washington Times. It is from the UPI.

Detroit found to be most liberal U.S. city

Aug. 11, 2005 at 7:39AM

Detroit is the most liberal U.S. city while Provo, Utah, is the most conservative, a study of voting patterns indicates.

The list was compiled by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research in California through an examination of voting in 237 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000.

"Detroit and Provo epitomize America's political, economic and racial polarization," BACVR Director Jason Alderman said in a release Thursday. "As the most conservative city in America, Provo is overwhelmingly white and solidly middle class. This is in stark contrast to Detroit, which is impoverished, black and the most liberal."

Gary, Ind., was found to be the second-most liberal followed by Berkeley, Calif.; Washington; and Oakland, Calif. The group that did the ranking is based in Berkeley, not far from Oakland.

Texas, home to President George Bush, has three of the five most conservative cities, as determined by BACVR, including Lubbock and Abilene in the Nos. 2 and 3 spots and Plano in the fifth spot. Hialeah, Fla., was ranked fourth.

BACVR offered no detailed breakdown of its methodology.

Archived