Old Dominion Pics

rusthebuss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

In the few months, Old Dominion will be heavily in the period of massive renovation and construction.

- December 2005: Technology Building renovations to be completed

- October 2005-December 2006: Part of Lot 27 closed off to begin construction on Quad housing

- February 2006: Renovation of Batten Arts and Letters about to begin

- April 2006: Renovation and expansion of Oceanography and Physics Building, to add more research space to increase the amount of research being done at ODU, especially in Marine Sciences and related topics, and also, to build a walkway to Mills E. Godwin, Jr. Building.

- June 2005-July 2006: Construction on a new 950-car, 5-level parking garage

- Summer 2006: Renovation and expansion of the H/PE building, which once served as the fieldhouse for ODU basketball games.

- 2007: Demolition of the area (north: 41st Street, south: 38th Street, west: Hampton Blvd, east: Killam Ave), for construction of a shopping center and a few more buildings. ODU aims to build a ton more research sites in that area to increase its research load.

ODU expansion will be good for the regional economy, adding more jobs and millions more $$$ to the payroll, and more high tech jobs will be on the way once ODU completes its projects that are on the table. :thumbsup:

great news odumonarch. The area colleges seem to be heating up with renovations/expansions and such. Now we just need these to lead to more jobs!

We need more research jobs that are attached to the university and also NSU just got that grant for biotechnology so that is a plus for the area!

Wow, I didn't know that Old Domion had all that construction and renovation planned.

Lol, that was one of the last things I voted on before I moved away. There was a referendum about the state taking out a big loan to help with secondary education construction projects, along with the more fabled and much more maligned 1% sales tax increase for the roads.

Anyway, nice to see it finally coming together.

edit: spelling

Old Dominion has more stuff on the way for sports:

- New tennis complex: Costing $6.2 million, aims to construct 6-8 court indoor tennis center, and reconfigure 17 outdoor tennis center to a dozen, will be free for students, faculty and staff, but will cost a fee for public to use. Indoor facility will have a lounge, shop and locker rooms. Due to start in next 2 months.

- New soccer building: House offices for men's and women's soccer, locker rooms, costing $1.9 million, due to start in next 2 months.

- New indoor batting cages: Beyond leftfield area, costing $250,000, due to start in next 2 months, ready for baseball season 2006.

- Athletic admin building face lift, costing $2.7 million, will give the building a renovation seriously needed, expected to start in next 2 months.

- Wrestling training complex, and rec sports complex with demolition of old field house (H/PE building), due to start after spring semester 2006.

*This is from today's section of the Pilot.

Memories...

That second pic was my home for 5 years. That's the main entrance to the Diehn Fine and Performing Arts Building. The 7th pic is the side of the building and the taller section in the back is the Chandler Recital Hall. (Not to be confused with the Rectal Hall in the Infermary :) j/j) I graduated in 2005 with my Music Education degree. That school did good for me :) I have tons of great memories. It was a great time in my life! I want to go back and get my master. I'm now an elementary music teacher/private teach/music transcriber/business co-owner/magazine columnist. Look at my sig below for my music transcribing companies website.

Well actually, I'm going back there tonight for Drew Carey's Improv Comedy Allstars show at The Ted. I'm ready to laugh my @ss off :rofl:

Metalman

Memories...

That second pic was my home for 5 years. That's the main entrance to the Diehn Fine and Performing Arts Building. The 7th pic is the side of the building and the taller section in the back is the Chandler Recital Hall. (Not to be confused with the Rectal Hall in the Infermary :) j/j) I graduated in 2005 with my Music Education degree. That school did good for me :) I have tons of great memories. It was a great time in my life! I want to go back and get my master. I'm now an elementary music teacher/private teach/music transcriber/business co-owner/magazine columnist. Look at my sig below for my music transcribing companies website.

Well actually, I'm going back there tonight for Drew Carey's Improv Comedy Allstars show at The Ted. I'm ready to laugh my @ss off

Metalman

Have a good time. I will be at work till 10 tonight. :blink:

Drew Carey's Improv Comedy Allstars was hilarious! It basically was a touring version of "Who's line is it anyways". Along with Drew was Mimi (from Drew Carey Show), the nerdy looking guy with the black rimed glasses, Chip-the while guy that sings with Wayne Bradey alot. Chip is from Alexandria and graduated from W&M, and there were a couple other guys that I didn't recognize.

The last skit they did was with two of the guys in a 70's setting, done blindfolded and barefoot on the stage with 100 live mouse traps! They were getting snapped on left and right, yelling obsenities as they try and continue with there skit. The other guys around them were throwing traps at them. One guy finally took his blindfold off and tackled one of the guys throwing a trap at him and drug him through the traps. LOL :D

It is now confirmed that ODU is starting construction on the quad student housing. They have already closed off part of Lot 27. First off, they are going to tear off the parking lot and the sidewalks, and then relocate sewer and water utilities, and I can see the construction ongoing in 3-4 months. Lot 27 is a very large lot, so it would take a lot of time to tear out.

ODU has established a completion date of Phase I of the quad student housing as December 15, 2006, so the students can move in starting on January, 2007, when they come back after the winter break. Then ODU will close all of the Lot 27 (remaining) so they can start on Phase II of the housing. There will be 6,000 students in there, and applications are going to be huge, so ODU will be highly selective as to whom goes in the quad housing. The GPA is also a factor - if students get good grades, then they can move in there. So, we'll see and then move on from there. :thumbsup:

"Golf Course Opening Soon"??? When the heck was that in the plans. I never knew about that! I remember hearing the not stop banging of piles for the Ted from the 3 floor of BAL, and I used to stop all the time at the model of the campus in Webb Center and I never heard anything of this. I'm not really a fan of golf but, I think it'll be pretty cool. Nice landscaping :) It's interesting to imagine the internal parking lot for staff becoming a golf couse.

Metalman

"Golf Course Opening Soon"??? When the heck was that in the plans. I never knew about that! I remember hearing the not stop banging of piles for the Ted from the 3 floor of BAL, and I used to stop all the time at the model of the campus in Webb Center and I never heard anything of this. I'm not really a fan of golf but, I think it'll be pretty cool. Nice landscaping :) It's interesting to imagine the internal parking lot for staff becoming a golf couse.

Metalman

That golf course has been open for a while now. I think it was around August when it opened. Its only 9 holes and its right next to Maury/Granby H.S. new football field.

If that's the case, then that is nowhere near where that arrow is pointing. That course must around Powatan Field then, huh? The arrow is point to the parking lot which is about 5 or 6 blocks away.

The arrow seems to be pointing to the road you would take turning off of Hampton Blvd. to get to the golf course. Would seem to be the best they could do with that picture. The course is right on the Elizabeth River, adjacent to the new HS fooball stadium. The course and entire facility is a gem, and a real asset to both ODU and the city of Norfolk.

Archived