Orangeburg Developments

krazeeboi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like there are alot of great things happening in Orangeburg. Those condo units cound particularly exciting!

How do Orangeburgians (whatever you call youresleves ;) ) view their downtown as it is now? How would you rate the current selection of restaurants and other activies downtown?

To be honest, downtown is really just beginning to "take off," as it were. The streetscaping project has done visual WONDERS for that area. I believe that now that the area is (more) aesthetically pleasing, at this point, pedestrians will feel more drawn to the area. As of now, some of the stores present on Russell Street (the city's main street) are clothing boutiques, bookstores, the BlueBird Theatre, an educational supply store, and maybe like one storefront church. I mean, you can get some decent shopping done there, but as far as spending a significant amount of time downtown, there isn't anything down there yet that would make someone want to do that.

Oh no, the building housed the FORMER Fish Market. I remember how it used to stink riding by it as a kid with my grandmother and great-aunt, LOL.

But I will say that I think it's impressive as well. The city also received a $500,000 grant last year for facade improvements for the buildings on Russell Street. Downtown is starting to look up!

On this past Friday, Oct. 28, South Carolina State University broke ground on a $70 million complex to house a new transportation studies center, where students will learn about topics ranging from passenger and freight transportation to highway and transit issues. The center will be named after U.S. Rep. James E. Clyburn, who was instrumental in getting the funds to start such a center in SC. When discussing with fellow lawmakers which school should get the funds, many were debating between Carolina and Clemson. Clyburn stated he wanted the center to be established at his alma mater, South Carolina State.

The school's transportation program, the only one in the state that offers a master's degree, currently does not have its own building. The new center will house a research lab, conference center, library and other amenities. Alternative fuels will be one aspect of the research conducted at the center.

This is great news for SC State, as it will help to establish the school as an emerging research institution. This is also to the benefit of Orangeburg County, as arguable the two busiest interstates in the state, I-26 and I-95, form a junction in the eastern part of the county. Perhaps this center will help the county capitalize on that location. It's also great that alternative fuels will be a focus of study. It seems as though SC may be positioning itself to occupy a specialized transportation/automotive/fuel cell niche in the near future.

Edited by krazeeboi

• 1 month later...

OK, a few new developments in my home county.

A 231-slip marina will be built on Lake Marion in Vance, which represents a capital investment of approximately $3.5 million over a three-year period and will bring 12 to 15 new jobs to the town. Not bad for a town of less than 500.

Decolam Inc., a company that provides a wide array of custom and made-to-order products to the furniture, kitchen cabinet and display industries, has recently announced that it will invest $1.5 million and add up to 41 jobs over the next three years at its facility in Orangeburg.

The city is ready to spend the $500,000 it received from a Community Development Block Grant for facade improvements downtown. This is the first time the city of Orangeburg has undertaken such a renewal project. Three grants were awarded in the state and Orangeburg was one of the municipalities chosen; the other two were Swansea in Lexington County and Loris in Horry County.

• 3 months later...

ECKA Granules of America will spend $12 million on a new facility expected to create 40 jobs in Orangeburg.

The plant will make nonferrous metal powder and particulates as well as specialty products for the powder metallurgical and other technical operations. The company bought the land and facilities formerly used by Federal Mogul Power Train (where my mother used to work, before the company moved to Mexico).

Orangeburg County has been getting some good news here and there, nothing big as of yet though. I'm really hoping the inland port in the eastern part of the county brings a big economic boost though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Orangeburg County celebrates one year of being an "All-American City." It was really a big deal when we won that last year.

It's still a big deal,lol Orangeburg has just finished building a new water tower at the I-95/ 301 interchange with the All-American shield emblazoned on it. Plus, the county has been busy giving every town in the county an All-American 2005 sign to place in front of their town hall.

Facade improvements should be happening soon, as the city won a grant not too long ago to help fund such improvements. It would be great if the top floors of those building downtown could be used for residential, but Orangeburg isn't quite ready for that yet.

Facade improvements should be happening soon, as the city won a grant not too long ago to help fund such improvements. It would be great if the top floors of those building downtown could be used for residential, but Orangeburg isn't quite ready for that yet.

The city of Orangeburg could really use the population boost that would bring but unfortunely Krazeeboi is probably right about this not being a good time for that yet.

County officials made a trip to DC to seek federal funding of the inland port. Chances are it won't be fully funded at once, but probably broken up into phases. Officials are seeking $40 million in federal funds. The entire project will cost $250 million, which includes the cost of building a separate Upstate facility (as the inland port will stretch from the coast to the Upstate).

Orangeburg County has received $36 million in investment since December. German-based ECKA Granules, Georgia-based GTS Energy and Texas-based Lennox International Inc.'s Allied Air Enterprises are a sampling of the companies that have chosen Orangeburg County recently as a place to build for the future.

County officials made a trip to DC to seek federal funding of the inland port. Chances are it won't be fully funded at once, but probably broken up into phases. Officials are seeking $40 million in federal funds. The entire project will cost $250 million, which includes the cost of building a separate Upstate facility (as the inland port will stretch from the coast to the Upstate).

Orangeburg County has received $36 million in investment since December. German-based ECKA Granules, Georgia-based GTS Energy and Texas-based Lennox International Inc.'s Allied Air Enterprises are a sampling of the companies that have chosen Orangeburg County recently as a place to build for the future.

Our officials are really bullish about this port project, I'm glad to see that the county leadership is being proactive. Krazeeboi, you may want to check out the Statesboro,GA thread. Statesboro has a lot in common with Orangeburg, both are located on Hwy. 301, the terrain is similar, and both aren't too far from major cities that may send growth and economic development in their direction. They seem to be doing a lot of things right, maybe they would be a good example for Orangeburg to follow.