Orangeburg Developments

krazeeboi

^Does O-burg try to get any Civil Rights tourists, being the site of the O-berg massacre? It is kind of grisley, but an important part of the history of SC.

To my knowledge, Edisto Gardens is the only area where the city of Orangeburg puts forth any effort concerning tourism,and even that is kind of scant.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Does O-burg try to get any Civil Rights tourists, being the site of the O-berg massacre? It is kind of grisley, but an important part of the history of SC.

No they don't, but they need to. A guy that used to post here, UrbanSoutherner, suggested that Orangeburg try to get a state civil rights museum up and running, which I think is a great idea. It's an idea I've been meaning to pass along to one of the city councilmen that works with my mom.

As SimCity says, Orangeburg puts most of its efforts towards Edisto Gardens and events involving the gardens (e.g., the Festival of Roses). But the county does pretty good with annual tourism events.

No they don't, but they need to. A guy that used to post here, UrbanSoutherner, suggested that Orangeburg try to get a state civil rights museum up and running, which I think is a great idea. It's an idea I've been meaning to pass along to one of the city councilmen that works with my mom.

As SimCity says, Orangeburg puts most of its efforts towards Edisto Gardens and events involving the gardens (e.g., the Festival of Roses). But the county does pretty good with annual tourism events.

^^^^^^^

Especially when those events concern golfing and fishing tournaments and the county fair.

^And the Grand American Coon Hunt, SC State homecoming, etc.

Very true, I hadn't thought about these two events although I daresay that the latter is advertised more by the radio and newspaper media and by word of mouth than by any organized county effort. What do you think?

^^It does indeed look as if USC Spartanburg would like to expand in that direction. I hope that they are eventually successful in that attempt. I support all of South Carolina's schools that seek to upgrade their facilities and programs. South Carolina needs all the educational advantages it can get. Just today our dean of education at The Citadel announced that doctoral degrees in educational leadership aare now available at The Citadel in conjunction with USC. As far as I know, this is the first doctoral program ever offered at The Citadel.

Edited by SimCity

• 1 month later...

Downtown Orangeburg is on the verge of having 7 story hotel with a storied past renovated for use as a shopping, residential, and restaurant destination. The hotel, named Eutaw, dates from the late 1920's and was once considered top notch. Hopefully this project will be successful so I'll be able to check out this local icon one day. Orangeburg desperately needs something like this downtown to go along with the multimillion dollar streetscaping. :camera:

Edited by SimCity

:yahoo:

I've been wanting something to happen to that building for the longest, and the plans sound awesome!

Here's a picture of the building, courtesy of UrbanSoutherner:

1920s%20Hotel.jpg

It looks like the progress on Russell is starting to creep eastward. The old vacant Winn Dixie right across from the hotel is undergoing some renovations and I believe some artist space will be created there.

Orangeburg is commonly called OB or the Burg by young people,especially teenagers. I think "The Burg" has a nice ring to it. Thinks to Krazeeboi and Urbansoutherner for posting a picture of the hotel. The building definitely has potential that should be utilized to enhance downtown. That's good news too about the old Winn-Dixie, I was unaware of that development.

You can read the article here.

I'm happy to hear about this development. Orangeburg is long overdue for this type of economic activity. Interesting too, is the comment made by the developer/owner that Orangeburg is similar to his part of South America in Guyana.

Thanks for that posting Krazeeboi. I'll be in Orangeburg at O-W tomorrow for my PRAXIS Exam. I think I'll take some time out and go downtown to view the Eutaw hotel and the old Winn-Dixie. Hopefully I'll be able to bring some pictures back also.

In a move that only confirms the long held belief of residents in this and nearby communities that the town of Santee and it's police force in particular are corrupt, the Mayor of Santee has rehired the town police chief who, along with the dismissed town clerk, were arrested and accused of stealing funds from the Santee Municipal Court collected from traffic violations and other sources. You can't help but wonder exactly how the town's Mayor, Silas Seabrook, is involved in this.

Thanks for that posting Krazeeboi. I'll be in Orangeburg at O-W tomorrow for my PRAXIS Exam. I think I'll take some time out and go downtown to view the Eutaw hotel and the old Winn-Dixie. Hopefully I'll be able to bring some pictures back also.

Please do. Downtown looks great on bright, sunny days. :shades:

I don't know what's going on with Santee. If it hasn't happened already, I'm sure the state will get involved.