Orangeburg Developments

krazeeboi

Officials want to build a full interchange at Interstate 95 and U.S. 301 in Santee. And they want to widen U.S. 78 from Bamberg to Denmark. But first they have to find the money. With all its major road projects in the area complete or nearing completion, the Lower Savannah Council of Governments is waiting until it gets the money it needs to start the next major round of projects in the area.

I wish officials would be talking about a full interchange at I-95 and one of the Holly Hill exits near the I-95/I-26 interchange. But I'm not complaining too much, since the I-95/301 exits is one of the more high profile exits along I-95 in SC.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

More about the Jafza International $600 million logistics, manufacturing, and distribution center development here. Also, this article talks about the regional economic impact this development would have.

I'm really, really, REALLY happy for my home county to be getting news like this, but a development this big happening in a relatively short period of time (they're talking 8-10 years until full buildout) also raises some concerns. For one, I can already see Santee sprawling its way to hell (as if the exit from I-95 wasn't enough). Unfortunately, this will cause the area to lose some of its charm and tranquility that it's known for, and I especially feel for the retirees that have decided to settle into Santee permanently, as it will no longer be a sleepy little haven. Secondly, I wonder how this will benefit Orangeburg directly, particularly downtown. One great thing this development should lead to is increased retail opportunities, which are SORELY needed. Right now, you really have to travel to Columbia just to get a decent movie experience. Even at this point, I think Orangeburg could support a TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's, Kohl's, etc., but those retail offerings aren't available. And as far as downtown goes, I really hope that the Downtown Orangeburg Revitalization Association (DORA) tries to lure some office tenants downtown. This would present the perfect opportunity to get those 2nd- and 3rd-story vacant spaces above the retail spots on Russell Street (the city's main street) occupied, and to even push for downtown office construction. I'd really be pushing for a downtown master plan right now if I were them. This could also lead to some regional or national retailers coming downtown. Right now, Orangeburg is really blessed to have a main street where local retailers dominate. However, after 5pm, there's no life to be found. Hopefully some restaurants could breathe some life into the area into the evenings. I can already envision a downtown hotel (something like a Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn for starters), multi-tenant housing, etc. Now is really the time for the city to hold onto what makes it unique while also embracing those things that will take it to the next level. It could truly benefit by looking to Spartanburg as a model right now in some respects.

Thats great news, and a great point, Krazee. The impacts on Orangeburg are going to be incredible. That many jobs will alter growth patterns and economic development in Orangeburg and surrounding counties for years if not decades to come. One need only look at what SRS has done for Aiken. It has such a strong influence over them that the city has grown more towards SRS than I-20 (most cities would grow towards the interstate). You can also say the same for Sumter, which has growth towards Shaw AFB more than anything else.

So, I think Orangeburg will see a big turn in growth to the south and east- especially towards I-26. I hope that Orangeburg County is going to amend its plans to compensate for this level of growth, and create quality new development- not just standard sprawl.

I hope so too. The county just recently implemented countywide zoning (a few months ago, if memory serves me correctly), so that was a step in the right direction, even without this mega-project.

I also hope to see the local universities get tied into this somehow. I can already see the connection with State's transportation center, which is under construction. Not sure how Claflin could tap into this though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jafza has revealed preliminary plans for the Orangeburg site.

There are wetlands on the site and the lead consulting company, together with Jafza officials, determined that the best approach would be to leave the wetlands as they are and install wooden bridges and walkways to incorporate natural areas into walking trails and recreation areas. These recreational components will be located outside the secured perimeter of the main warehouse, distribution center, and manufacturing component of the facility, but some of these trails will also be inside the main development for use by employees. A significant swath of the recreational space will be placed west of I-95, between the industrial uses of the site and the residential communities in Santee.

Jafza wants to use native vegetation and trees as buffering elements instead of sound-buffering walls, such as those along I-95. The company also is looking at strategies that will keep truck traffic entering and leaving the site far from S.C. Highway 6, the major artery that leads right into the Santee residential community

The most interesting part of the plans was that the company is rethinking the need for a cloverleaf interchange at the intersection of I-95 and U.S. Highway 301. There will need to be some reconfiguring work, but it might not be for a cloverleaf specifically. The preliminary master plan now includes four possible options: The cloverleaf, a partial cloverleaf, a diamond, or a four-legged, all-directional interchange.

Jafza is also considering additional land purchases adjacent to the land it already owns in Orangeburg.

Chuck Heath, the company

• 3 months later...

More great news for my home county.

An investment group, World Trade City Orangeburg LLC, which has ties to China and the United States, wants to construct an international trade center that could employ more than 1,000 people along I-26 near Bowman. The company said it plans to invest $100 million in the first phase of the project. The investment group eventually wants to buy a total of 5,000 acres. This would be near the planned logistics center planned by the Dubai investment group.

Oh yes, believe it. Orangeburg County enjoys a really sweet position, roughly halfway between Charleston and Richland counties with two major interestates running through it. It's about time that potential has been realized. I hope that some of that investment out towards the interestates eventually starts to trickle towards the city itself and downtown in particular.

• 4 months later...

I finally made it to downtown Orangeburg last week. I have to say I was most impressed with the whole downtown area. Unfortunately I was not able to explore at all, but I really liked what I saw as I was passing through. Everything was clean and it looks primed for rebirth.... the only thing it lacked was street activity. The downtown area was devoid of all life, and I really hated that because the rest of it looked so good. On a side note, I really like the crape myrtles that are all over the city.

The streetscaping that was done a few years back has really given downtown a new lease on life, and you're right, it's definitely primed for rebirth. What I like is that there is a lot of locally owned retail downtown, but restaurants and other types of after-hours spots are needed to bring activity in the evenings and on the weekends.

• 3 months later...

Here's some more information about two residential developments that were planned prior to the announcement of the logistics/distribution hub, but should get a big boost in association with the project.

Cantey Bay Plantation would transform 3,800 acres into a residential community with thousands of homes and commercial development along Lake Marion and I-95 in Clarendon County. Plans call for 7,500 to 15,000 homes and 300,000 square feet of office and retail space. The land sits along 1.2 miles of Lake Marion waterfront and straddles both sides of I-95.

The Santee Town Center project would develop 75 acres in Santee with more than 400 homes. The town, population 750, has been little more than a crossroads without a traditional main street. The developers plan to build 448 houses, condos and duplexes as well as retail and office space on 75 acres. The land borders U.S. 301, S.C. 6 and Santee National Golf Club. The estimated $180 million project should get under way next year.

While it's obvious that the Santee area will greatly benefit from the hub, I hope that we'll also see more development (economic, commercial, and residential) in Orangeburg proper as a result.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought the Jafza development was at a total standstill due to the economy, but apparently there is some progress being made. The first building of the logistics park has been constructed. The $1.2 million, 16,000-square-foot Santee Enterprise Center already has a few occupants, but marketing continues. Interest has been high from light manufacturers and textile companies, according a Jafza USA official. About 8,000 square feet is already occupied, with an estimated 10 to 20 people employed there. The building houses Timmonsville-based Palmetto Training Inc. and Greenville-based Arc Labs, a welding training company. An information technology company, Quorum Resources Inc., also has an office in the building.

4dafb5f25bc1e.image.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The city is discussing whether there should be a limit on the amount of additional storefront churches downtown, which could potentially hamper efforts to get more businesses downtown. Although the state’s liquor law was not specifically discussed, Councilman Bernard Haire said the presence of storefront churches “tends to tie the hands, say for instance, of a restaurant who can have some refreshment for customers.”

[Mayor Michael] Butler said an example of this issue is Rosalia’s Mexican Restaurant, located at 1058 Russell St.

Rosalia’s sells beer and wine, but can’t get a license to sell liquor on-site, even if the church next door submits a written statement saying it’s not opposing the restaurant’s liquor license application.

In South Carolina, a business in a municipality must be at least 350 feet away from a church, school or playground to get a liquor license. Businesses outside of a municipality must be at least 500 feet away.