Orangeburg Developments

krazeeboi

Please do. Downtown looks great on bright, sunny days. :shades:

I don't know what's going on with Santee. If it hasn't happened already, I'm sure the state will get involved.

I think that's exactly what needs to happen. Even though I've never personally met the mayor, I had a lot of respect for him in the past because he did a lot for the town of Santee and is one of the few African American mayors in SC, but now I just don't know. Perhaps it's time for him to step down and allow someone with a better moral compass to lead the town.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw that on the front page at newstands (I'm back at my parents' house at present). Lord knows this area is blessed in many ways. I think efforts to boost tourism here, particularly on a county-wide basis, would go a long way.

Certainly that is the case. Santee has taken long strides in that area with the building of condos at Chapel Creek and Lake Marion. I've been trying for awhile now to get some pictures of that plus the Eutaw Hotel on here but I need to buy another camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Western Orangeburg County is working to bring an industrial park to that part of the county and take advantage of the 4-lane 321 highway and the region's proximity to the Interstates and the CSX rail line to Savannah's port. With an unemployment rate of 10% the county could sure use any industries that might locate there. At 150-200 acres the industrial park would join the large 400 acre one in Orangeburg next to I-26 and Hwy. 301 and a smaller one located on Orangeburg's southside as well as the planned industrial park at The Oaks at Hwys 301 and 176 and the industrial sites planned for Santee in conjunction with the Inland Port.

Gosh, seems like O'burg County might be overloading on industrial parks. But it appears as though the western part of the county could take advantage of proximity to I-20 and the Augusta-Aiken area, so this will have benefits in some form or another.

What you are saying could very well be true. I doubt however that you'll find many people in this relatively poor county complaining. I'm for them as long as they don't degrade the quality of life or pollute the environment excessively. I agree with you on the western part of the county, it is the poorest and most isolated and could use a boost like this. How far exactly is I-20 and Augusta-Aiken from this part of the county? It seems that I remember I-20 being fairly close to Springfield.

I thought the inland port idea was cancelled?

The idea of barging containers from the ports of Charleston to a new terminal on Lake Marion at Santee was scrapped but the company is still going through with the idea of an intermodal facility and industrial park at I-95 and Hwy 301. Carolinks has also recently teamed up with a nationally known developer and builder with offices in Charleston to design and build the project.

And to Springfield's superb flea market. ;)

Wow, I didn't know that Springfield had a flea market. Is it a good size? Bigger than Orangeburg's maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to South Carolina and Orangeburg County Northerner. I live in Eutawville on the other end of Orangeburg County from you. I hope you enjoy the area as much as we do and that your business will continue to prosper from this location.

Thanks SimCity. Only now I came back to check the messages. I've been pretty much enjoying Orangeburg county, the people are very nice. Been watching home prices here, but can't find any really good deals anymore.

Thanks SimCity. Only now I came back to check the messages. I've been pretty much enjoying Orangeburg county, the people are very nice. Been watching home prices here, but can't find any really good deals anymore.

Might want to check the Holly Hill area if you don't mind a little commute. Prices there dn't seem too bad. It is a nice community, too.

Hosting the first Democratic candidate presidential debate for 2008 was a very big deal for Orangeburg, and the city is still basking in its hours of fame. Here are just a few articles from the local newspaper that discuss this:

A university transformed

Orangeburg celebrates historic moment, hosting first presidential debate

Clyburn says debate helps S.C. State turn a page

CaroLinks plans 'mini-city'

Although still reportedly weeks away from closing on an 800-acre parcel near the intersection of Interstate 95 and Interstate 26, CaroLinks, the Charleston-based intermodal and real estate development company, has firmed up plans for the site.

Richard Weiser, president of the Weiser Companies, the driving force behind the hugely successful Centre Pointe development in North Charleston and CaroLinks

• 1 month later...

It appears as though there are a few projects planned or in the initial stages all throughout the city, including downtown; as a matter of fact, the mayor states that there are $3.5 million worth of projects going on downtown. There's $1.8 million on streetscape, of which the next phase will begin in mid-July, from Windsor Street down to Edisto Gardens. The City Council chambers project, which includes the renovation of the old fire station next door to City Hall, is about $900,000 and there's a half a million dollars in facade grant money. And the city is putting $300,000 into additional parking. In view of the improvement projects, Mayor Paul Miller says, there was discussion about code enforcement for downtown buildings, "especially with all the money we've spent with streetscape and the money owners are spending to improve the fronts of buildings."

Sounds like there are a lot of good projects going on in Orangeburg. Are there any private investments or is it all public at this point? Even if its all public, its a good sign. If the City is willing to invest in itsown downtown, is can attract other developers.

• 3 weeks later...

An alley on Orangeburg's main street, Russell Street, has been transformed into the city's own Rainbow Row--well, not really, but the mural sure gives a good impression of that. :)

doc469d397c123ac236998131.jpg

In other news, Main Street South Carolina, a branch of the Municipal Association of South Carolina, has honored Orangeburg with its 2006 Public Service, Outstanding Promotional Event and Outstanding New Construction awards. This year