Northern Bay Regional Committee formed

Great article in ProJo about the creation of Northern Bay Regional Committee between Prov, EP and Pawtucket to work together to develop their waterfronts, etc. They vowed to meet once a quarter along with DEM, DOT, the Coastal Resources Management Council and the EDC to come up with a "plan of action" for addressing issues of common concern.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...3.132372c1.html

Once again, Cicilline has made me happy with this quote:

"I also think we have got to develop a way of moving people around the city without having to use cars," said Cicilline. "We gave a look at light rail and streetcars. The answer can't be the construction of more parking garages. We also have to enhance and enlarge the spaces where people can gather."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That ferry that Connelly bought used to make a run from Providence to Pawtucket (in fact there is a sign on Eddy Street in Davol Square giving directions to it, and I tired to figure out what the hell that sign was talking about for the longest time because I really wanted to take a ride on that ferry). Once development starts to take off on the EP waterfront, water taxi service between Providence, EP, and Pawtucket is totally feesible. If Connelley's Providence Piers comes to pass and we have reliable transit from their to Downcity, the important Providence connection is made, then you run boats over to EP, and up to Pawtucket. Time it to meet the Newport Ferry and you've got a nice little water transit system going.

McCoy Stadium is close enough to the Waterfront that there could even be game ferries, it's a walkable distance, but a game time shuttle bus could also be added. The shuttle could do a loop from the ferry, to McCoy, to downtown where we will hopefully be seeing dining and shopping options start to spring up.

Another water taxi stop can be at the EP side of the East Side railroad bridge. Passengers from Pawtucket can get off the ferry and onto a bus or LRT into Providence via the East Side Tunnel.

What is RIPTA's service schedule to the Newport-Providence ferry dock currenlty? I've heard there's a shuttle from Kennedy Plaza, but have never seen it around there at all. It would seem very stupid not to have one in place.

What is RIPTA's service schedule to the Newport-Providence ferry dock currenlty?  I've heard there's a shuttle from Kennedy Plaza, but have never seen it around there at all.  It would seem very stupid not to have one in place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a "FERRY" trolley that runs to the dock, I think 10 minutes before departure, and then takes arriving passengers back to Kennedy Plaza. You have to pay the full $1.50 fare to ride, but at least now you can purchase a transfer on the trolleys, not that anyone visiting the city would have any idea how to go about that.

I just checked, it leaves Kennedy Plaza 25 minutes before the boat's scheduled departure, and picks arrive passengers up 10 minutes after arrival.

McCoy Stadium is close enough to the Waterfront that there could even be game ferries, it's a walkable distance, but a game time shuttle bus could also be added. The shuttle could do a loop from the ferry, to McCoy, to downtown where we will hopefully be seeing dining and shopping options start to spring up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting idea. As I'm sure you remember, Yankee Stadium in NYC had a water shuttle that went up the East River to the Bronx River to the stadium. It was a popular option. I wonder if they still have it...

- Garris

but at least now you can purchase a transfer on the trolleys, not that anyone visiting the city would have any idea how to go about

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do the transfers have time stamps on them, or can you just use them for your return trip later on in the day and screw RIPTA out of $1.40?

Do the transfers have time stamps on them, or can you just use them for your return trip later on in the day and screw RIPTA out of $1.40?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, I've never had the need to use one. I have seen drivers refuse them before though, not sure why they were refusing it.

Archived