Location Location

Lova

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine wants to move back to RI and open a cafe/bakery. She likes Prov but wants to keep her options open. Any ideas on a location?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granted Im self motivated, but I think that Westminster St in the Armory (say bridgham to messer) could totally use a decent cafe/bakery, and the population is here now to support it. The only competition would be White Electric, and I dont see why both couldnt be successful. There are a few new storefronts being built and definitely a couple other possible locations.

Liam

Downtown Pawtucket, if she wants to be a little bit on the frontier.

Elmwood Ave. People have been clamoring for one like crazy lately.

I heard White Electric was for sale. Maybe she should just buy that (and expand the hours!)...

Where was Brewed Awakenings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Union Station, near Union Station Brewery and Capital Grille. They just shut down :cry:

They weren't making enough money, but I think the right business model, and being able to weather the doldrums until GTECH and Waterplace open, and that location is golden. Their service in the morning was spotty at best, they had a half-assed lunch menu that they didn't market well... The space could totally work, especially if you're looking at a real full service bakery with cakes and breads and whatnot. People go out of their way for that stuff if it's good. It needs good marketing with the Downtown offices, and a booth at the Farmer's Market would be good.

Something that fills the role that Starbucks does for Wayland Sq, but is more homey and not as edgy as Tazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing about Tazza is when you order a coffee to go, they look at you like you have 9 heads, then spend 20 minutes preparing it for you. They have all the to go cups and everything, so they are set up for it, they just can't seem to do it for whatever reason (or don't want to, the two times I've tried have certainly convinced me never to try it again).

There's no good place to run in and grab a coffee and a pastry/bagel Downcity (now that Brewed Awakenings is gone). You have the DD on Dorrance, which is filled with homeless people begging for change (litterally, three times last time I went in there I was hassled for money, last time in there for me, plus they play Fox "News" Channel on their TV monitors :sick: ). The DD on Westminster is OK, but it's a DD... And then there's the Pain in 50 Kennedy Plaza, but it's a Pain, no character. There's also Starbucks in the Biltmore, but I just don't even consider them an option, overpriced coffee, and their pastries blow.

There's a place on Dyer Street that's in the same building as Capriccio which is pretty good, but it's way out of the way, but the fact that they survive means they must be doing something right.

The thing about Tazza is when you order a coffee to go, they look at you like you have 9 heads, then spend 20 minutes preparing it for you. They have all the to go cups and everything, so they are set up for it, they just can't seem to do it for whatever reason (or don't want to, the two times I've tried have certainly convinced me never to try it again).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would you go to Tazza for a coffee?

Downtown Pawtucket, if she wants to be a little bit on the frontier.

Elmwood Ave. People have been clamoring for one like crazy lately.

I heard White Electric was for sale. Maybe she should just buy that (and expand the hours!)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah.. Pawtucket needs independent places badly.. My wife and I and a bunch of other folks that we know of here are just DYING to spend money at a good coffee shop or bakery around here.. I'm sure rents are cheap and from what I've heard the town is willing to cut deals to local business to get em in here...

White Electric for sale? what? oh man.. that really sucks.. i miss that place so much..On the days I work from home I actually drive from my house in Pawtucket to the west side just for the dark roast..

Build something next to the Credit Union on Capitol Hill. There's no good food up there at all, except for that crappy overpriced Cafe la France in the train station (where its like $3.50 for a Snickers ice cream bar by the way). You'd get all the state workers, the Waterplace people, and the Masonic Hotel people.

A friend of mine wants to move back to RI and open a cafe/bakery. She likes Prov but wants to keep her options open. Any ideas on a location?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously, seriously, seriously... talk to the people at Puente! They were trying to start an urban kitchen incubator but the Director for Olneyville Housing (one of their partners) quit, so the project is uncertain. They have always had the idea to do something with a bakery or cafe or caterer or whatever. With the area on Valley St turning around quickly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived