Florida Interchanges

Brickell

A continuation of the picture thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...60entry165784

The largest in shear size and land area consumed has got to be the Turnpike/US441/I-595/SR84 interchange in Broward County... It's rectangularly laid out. Next in line would be the I-75/I-595/SR84/SR869 interchange in western Broward County. It's more square but still huge.

The busiest interchange in the entire state by daily traffic volume is the Golden Glades Interchange in Miami, where I-95, the Turnpike, US 441, SR 826, SR 9, a few side streets, and Tri-Rail converge.

Thanks to google earth, here they are.

The Golden Glades:

goldenglades.jpg

Downtown Miami 95/395/sr836

95-395.jpg

Western Broward 75/595/SR84/SR869

75-595.jpg

Eastern Broward 95/595/Turnpike

95-595.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the Turnpike/I-595/SR84/US441 interchange.. The Turnpike is on the left, and 441 on the right:

:blink: That is one insane interchange! I thought many in Atlanta were confusing but this one has to take the cake.

I can't wait until its finished so I can drive around on it!

The I295-I95-9A interchange is pretty much open to traffic. They only have a couple ramps left to open and a few lanes to finish paving. After that they'll be wrappin up the drainage, site work, and painting.

I did some browsing on Google and couldn't find to many spaghetti interghanges outside of South Florida. You guys have some crazy ones down there!

FDOT likes to build them more spread out north of Palm Beach County primarily because the land is cheaper. I personally find them very boring, and the "spaghetti bowls" are one quality that adds to the fast-paced feel of South Florida for me. There hasn't been anything truly comparable to South Florida's until the new Turnpike/SR 50/SR429(Western Beltway) interchange near Winter Garden in western Orange County was built... Google's pics probably still show it under construction. It impressed this South Floridian, though, and it cost me a lot of money in tolls to ride each ramp. :thumbsup:

The OBT(17-92-441)/Beeline/Turnpike interchange near the Florida Mall in Orange County is really convoluted... :)

edit: looks like you found it jason! :lol:

Here's a before/after image showing the I-4/408 interchange in Downtown Orlando. Preliminary construction of this junction is scheduled to begin shortly, with the project kicking into high gear in the next couple of years. I'm looking forward to the 90-foot high flyovers.

trans4mation9sq.gif

Golden Glades is a monster, it can chew you up and spit you out in the total opposite direction if your not careful. Its HUGE and the funny thing about it, its not new (except HOV lanes) but still relatively efficiant to Miami-Dade traffic (at least I think so).

And can you imagine all of that land that could have been used for development in Weston from the I75/595 interchange.

Here are some pics of the new Tampa International Airport interchange that will get started this summer.

tampa3.jpg

tampa2.jpg

tampa3.jpg

Then you got the I-4/I-75 interchange

516200212320.jpg

Last but not least, I-4/I-275 interchange (Malfunction Junction)

v2-b-proposed_over.jpg

v1-b-proposed_over.jpg

edit: Fixed links

Golden Glades is a monster, it can chew you up and spit you out in the total opposite direction if your not careful. Its HUGE and the funny thing about it, its not new (except HOV lanes) but still relatively efficiant to Miami-Dade traffic (at least I think so).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true man... I bet that this thing is really intimidating when people see it for the first time... It doesn't faze me one bit. B) What I do like about this interchange is that there are multiple ways to exit someplace... you can always find another way to get to the other exit even if you pick a different one. When you consider how much traffic passes through that interchange and how many roads it must connect, it is incredibly efficient. It has of course built some bottlenecks (I won't list them here), but there are some improvements on the way.

Golden Glades connects several major highways... Interstate 95, the Palmetto Expressway (SR 826), State Road 9, US 441, and Florida's Turnpike. The interchange was built in the late 1950s and it has been perplexing newcomers ever since. :) In the southwest portion of the interchange is a Park-and-Ride lot as well as a major bus hub and one of the busiest Tri-Rail commuter rail stations in the entire system. There are plans to construct a modern enclosed intermodal bus and rail terminal on the site in the coming years.

The HOV flyover that soars over the interchange is about 10 years old. It extends for ~2 miles and bypasses the entire interchange. From up there, the view are incredible. Heading south, you can see all of Miami's skylines from Aventura in the north to downtown Miami and Brickell, and perhaps Coconut Grove. Dolphins Stadium can also be seen from up there. Heading north, you can see Aventura, Hollywood and the Broward beach communities. It is perhaps the most obvious landmark that confirms beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're in Miami, and things work a little differently.

the first time i drove through the interchange, i took the bypass, and it was awsome. It was like 7pm and perfect weather. I have very memorable photos of the scenes. The second time, i got lost in the maze, but i think that has more to do with my ADD then the lack of signage. But we were able to exit and get back on track very effeciently.

Here's a before/after image showing the I-4/408 interchange in Downtown Orlando. Preliminary construction of this junction is scheduled to begin shortly, with the project kicking into high gear in the next couple of years. I'm looking forward to the 90-foot high flyovers.

trans4mation9sq.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG...I'm already starting to feel the construction pains from this project. As a result, I no longer take the 408 to I-4 in the mornings. It's easier taking the surface roads through downtown Orlando.

Anyway...does anyone know if the OUC building is going to be demolished because of this interchange? I'm looking at the rending (and see firsthand) and noticed that building it literally RIGHT next to the highway. Some creative construction will have to take place if that road is going to be widened AND have a new interchange.

Archived