Welcome

monsoon

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since we have had requests for this here it is.  UrbanPlanet.org serves the people.  Please post any suggestions, changes, recommendations here.  Enjoy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A quibble--

The forum is described in part as encompassing "New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and the Mississippi Delta".

The Mississippi Delta is out of place. As a region, it refers to that portion of Mississippi in the northwest corner of the state, extending from Vicksburg to Memphis, bordering Arkansas and Tennessee for the most part. On the west side of the Mississippi in Arkansas, there is also a similar Arkansas Delta.

In any case, large chunks of the Delta are in the Memphis msa, and Memphis is generally considered the "capital" of the Delta.

Basically, both those regions are just the pancake flat Mississippi River alluvial plain.

Perhaps you are thinking of the geological delta--the little piece of land which sticks out into the gulf south of New Orleans.

I realize of course that it's impossible to fine tune every subforum.

The Five Traditional Regions of the State:

--"The Sportsman's Paradise"- Northern LA (Shreveport-Bossier City, Monroe)

--"Crossroads"- Central LA (Alexandria area)

--"Cajun Country"- Southwestern and South Central LA (Lake Charles, LaFayette, Houma)

--"Plantation Country"- Part of SE LA (Bation Rouge)

--"Greater New Orleans"- Other Half of SE LA, (New Orleans, Metairie, Slidell)

A map of the regions:

la_map.gif

Edited by ironchapman

My!  Aren't you the quickly responsive, eagle-eyed mod!  lol

Poor Mississippi, don't get no respect!

Nah, it doesn't really matter.  I'll post stuff about the Delta area in either the Arkansas forum or the Tennessee forum, either way.  The Louisiana forum will bascially be about Baton Rouge and New Orleans anyway.

Funny thing is--I know you've heard of Delta Blues and so on.  People who aren't particularly familiar with the region or with Blues, sometimes think that refers to the delta area south of New Orleans.  That area though is only populated by Croatian oystermen, and descendants of 18th century Spanish settlers--few blacks at all.

The real, 90% black, cotton/rice plantation Delta is 300-400 miles north.

Can you tell I'm a teacher? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well....it shows sometimes ;) lol..thanks alot for the info sleepy..and thanks for the map ironchapman,that will really help people get to know the different areas of LA.

We look forward to seeing you rural king...you will certainly be welcome here :)

Edited by NCB

sleepy, I've never understood why they refer to that area as the "delta". But, you are correct about that. However, people down toward the mouth of the mississippi river do refer to that area as the delta as well. And, one is a flood plain, and one is the real delta. Can you see my La. bias coming out?

Though I'm a new member, I'd still like to respectfully request a Mississippi forum. Would this be possible? Right now, Mississippi discussions are split between the Louisiana ans Alabama forums. There is really quite a lot of activity in Mississippi now, especially on the coast. Thanks. Tom Barnes

Are there enough of us to support a Mississippi forum. For instance, are there any local Mississippi forumers on the boards currently? It think it would be hard to justify one without some local representation. This forum for example had locals pulling for it before it got created.

I read the Clarion-Ledger online several times a week and read Mississippi news in hardcopy form daily in the Commercial Appeal, so I would be interested and willing to contribute, but how many others would be able, willing, and interested to contribute if we don't have any locals?

If it was created I suppose some MS lurkers who might be out there might sign up and start posting.

Well, would you should do is post a poll in the Southern USA section, and ask "should there be a MS forum" or "Would you contribute to a MS forum?"

Anyting that could help show the interest level.

That is what I did for the Louisiana forum, and a few days later there was a good interest level, and enough replies to make the moderators try it. It seems to be working out well now, so I would definately try that with the MS forum.

I would certainly contribute, there is alot going on on the coast, and Jackson seems to be having plenty of new developments as well. I would love to here more about what is going on in Mississippi.

You guys that want a Mississippi Forum should post in the Louisiana Forum and maybe, a demand will be revealed. With that said, I do think that the Mississippi Gulf Coast should remain with the Louisiana Forum due to it's continuous interaction with Metropolitan New Orleans. A large population on the MS Gulf Coast does work in Metro New Orleans and a sizeable population in St. Tammany Parish in suburban New Orleans does work in the MS Gulf Coast Region. The interaction is quite heavy to seperate the two, in my opinion.

It appears that there is vociferous objection in the Alabama forum to anything related to Mississippi.  I'd still like to see Mississippi get its own subforum.  I have run into difficulty in my attempts to create a proper poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I can see that some of the Alabama forumer's werent to welcome to the Mississippi events you posted there :blink:

But youre certainly welcome to post any MS news over here!

I love hearing about whats happening in Mississippi, especially in Jackson and along the coast.

Please tell any Mississippi forumers that you see on UrbanPlanet(there are a few) that they are welcome to post MS news in the LA forum.

Im sure that will also help create more of a demand for a Mississippi subforum.

• 1 month later...

Well, would you should do is post a poll in the Southern USA section, and ask "should there be a MS forum" or "Would you contribute to a MS forum?"

Anyting that could help show the interest level.

That is what I did for the Louisiana forum, and a few days later there was a good interest level, and enough replies to make the moderators try it. It seems to be working out well now, so I would definately try that with the MS forum.

I would certainly contribute, there is alot going on on the coast, and Jackson seems to be having plenty of new developments as well. I would love to here more about what is going on in Mississippi.

Thanks for getting the LA forum started!

• 1 month later...