best Virginia City to be in

Downtowner

What City do you like the best in Virginia?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What City do you like the best in Virginia?

• Richmond
    • Norfolk
    • Crystal City
    • Virginia Beach
    • Roanoke
    • Lynchburg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the criteria? To live in? To visit? I mean they all have various strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't mind living in Va Beach or Norfolk, but for me the job market is way better somewhere in NoVa. But I really prefer, the scenery and atmosphere of Hampton Roads.

Crystal City isn't really a city btw. :P

I really don't mind it as long as everything stays cordial. I'll only scrap the thread if this starts turning into one of those juvenile shouting matches about whos city is better. There are good and bad points to all of these cities. As long as that can be discussed in a polite and intelligent manner then have at it.

I picked Richmond, where I live now but my hometown is Virginia Beach. VA bch is nearly an impossible place to buy a house anymore and its suburban atmosphere drags it down for me. I love both Norfolk and Richmond but since I live in Richmond, it gets my vote.

sure you can. You can come to Hampton Roads and have multiple experiences in just a 20 minute drive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I was talking about the rich history Richmond has to offer. That historical ambience the city has ss really hard to surpass among the cities of VA. And, this is one of the things that make Richmond strong. That's why Richmond strongly capitalizes on this. I'm not saying HR is bad or anything; it has its own strengths that surpass Richmond. Likewise there are things about Richmond that surpass HR. Notice how I tried to be a little more specific and I refrained from saying that Richmond was the best period. I mean, hell HR's got the beach :-).

Well, I was talking about the rich history Richmond has to offer.  That historical ambience the city has ss really hard to surpass among the cities of VA.  And, this is one of the things that make Richmond strong.  That's why Richmond strongly capitalizes on this.  I'm not saying HR is bad or anything; it has its own strengths that surpass Richmond.  Likewise there are things about Richmond that surpass HR.  Notice how I tried to be a little more specific and I refrained from saying that Richmond was the best period. I mean, hell HR's got the beach :-).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you forgot about Yorktown, Jamestown, and first permanent English settlement in this country was in HR. Norfolk has a cannon ball in it from the revolutionary war. There is just as much history here as Richmond, hell the 400th anniversary is happening in Jamestown! Ship history is here as well. I guess you haven't checked out the Douglas MacAurthur museum and such!

I think what inozenziot is trying to say is that the historical ambience within the central city proper is strongest in Richmond. I'm inclined to agree. Richmond has some very fine Art Deco and Beaux Arts gems. Unfortunately Norfolk destroyed much of its pre-1950s architecture during the Urban Renewal period.

I think you should have put Norfolk and Vabeach together since we are one region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This poll just illustrates what handicaps the Hampton Roads area. The fact that someone would design a poll and include two contiguous cities like Norfolk and Virginia Beach, and exclude the other five, makes me question the entire poll. If the seven were one, called one, operated as one and known as one.....

I'll let you know when I wake up from my dream :D

This poll just illustrates what handicaps the Hampton Roads area.  The fact that someone would design a poll and include two contiguous cities like Norfolk and Virginia Beach, and exclude the other five, makes me question the entire poll.  If the seven were one, called one, operated as one and known as one.....

I'll let you know when I wake up from my dream :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I share that dream too!

Archived