Metro Health Village - University of Michigan Health Systems

mpchicago

18 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

This is the rendering that GRBJ is using. Still nothing to jump up and down about but it is vastly different than the other one that is floating around. Actually now that I look at it - that is a Fairfield? I'm confused. 

Fairfield-Inn-Suites-Metro-Health-Village-partial-rendering.jpg

I believe they're building two hotels. Home2 is by Hilton and Fairfield is obviously Marriott. So between those two and Hyatt Place, there will now be three hotels at Byron Center and M6. 

55 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

That's what makes me think they're banking on U of M really revving up development of that hospital. Do they know something, or are they speculating? 

Joe

How much land is left in that development? 

That Home2 suites is Concept Design Group. I mean, c'mon. :) You can't write this stuff.

Here are the two hotel sites, Home2 Suites is the upper one. 

58b77ba24d632_MetroHealthVillagehotels.thumb.JPG.c61e4995d984baf7db55ed742a442214.JPG

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

How much land is left in that development? 

I work across the street from Metro Health Village, and here's something I whipped up based on an old map on Granger's website...which I had to hastily edit after GRDadof3 edited in his own map! (I figured out the Fairfield location on my own, thank you. :P) But here's a more current picture than the outdated satellite view, at least.

Anything in light green is undeveloped, and presumably the ITT Tech building is for sale too. So, build the two retail buildings on the green, and there's still a few lots remaining.

Thoughts:

• "Mystery construction" is a very long 3 story building. Another map from 2015 labels it "Metron", but I can't find anything about this.
  • The Fairfield Inn looks like a tight fit. I wouldn't be surprised if they also utilized the lot between it and Lake Michigan Credit Union.
  • The southeast corner of Byron Center and Health Drive, originally a Bank of Holland that fell through, is now advertised on signs as a restaurant pad for sale.

metrohealthvillage.jpg

Edited by getemngo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, getemngo said:

I work across the street from Metro Health Village, and here's something I whipped up based on an old map on Granger's website...which I had to hastily edit after GRDadof3 edited in his own map! (I figured out the Fairfield location on my own, thank you. :P) But here's a more current picture than the outdated satellite view, at least.

Anything in light green is undeveloped, and presumably the ITT Tech building is for sale too. So, build the two retail buildings on the green, and there's still a few lots remaining.

Thoughts:

• "Mystery construction" is a very long 3 story building. Another map from 2015 labels it "Metron", but I can't find anything about this.
  • The Fairfield Inn looks like a tight fit. I wouldn't be surprised if they also utilized the lot between it and Lake Michigan Credit Union.
  • The southeast corner of Byron Center and Health Drive, originally a Bank of Holland that fell through, is now advertised on signs as a restaurant pad for sale.

metrohealthvillage.jpg

Are the two retail buildings going on Unit 3, 5 or both?

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

That's what makes me think they're banking on U of M really revving up development of that hospital. Do they know something, or are they speculating? 

Joe

There are other things in that area that would be favorable to having hotel rooms in that immediate area outside of Metro Health.  The deal with U of M is fairly new I doubt these developers were considering that when these plans were first in the works.  Don't for get $10Billion+ a year Gordon Foods is headquartered right there as well.  A company that big always commands hotel traffic.  $9Billion a year Spartan Foods is only a few miles away also.   Aside from that the general market for hotel rooms in the area is up.  These Hotels will definitely benefit from people looking for rooms downtown, either as overflow when there are none, or from customers looking for a cheaper alternative to the downtown options.

• 10 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 2:01 PM, WMrapids said:

University of Michigan Survival Flight has partnered with Wyoming to create a temporary helipad at the Gezon fire department to serve Metro Health. Yesterday was it’s first landing.6596E764-2138-43E4-9D9A-6D4B70882C31.thumb.jpeg.427193f016a18cdaf299ed19b5a1b778.jpeg16D437ED-C4A8-4F21-AF52-577CF7939040.jpeg.a4d15b8afd5f67d5617d47db6e1ff03f.jpeg0AE41F43-5E85-4C98-BCE9-5FE4853AFAFA.jpeg.63a887b8392de814321b8ad0138eb8e0.jpeg 

I also just recognized that they are starting to place marker balls on the power lines nearby to make them visible for the helicopter. Interesting to see how much planning had to go into this.

Edited by WMrapids

• 4 weeks later...

UofM is coming in strong. Add another tower to the hospital and they could put themselves at #2 in the area competing directly with Spectrum Health. I welcome it, as Spectrum has had a stranglehold on the area for some time with little legitimate competition. Mercy Health caters to a different population with half of its base being in Muskegon while Holland Hospital is a community hospital that sticks to the immediate Holland-Saugatuck area with a couple offices north and south. With UofM's backing, Metro could set itself up to be a destination hospital for the southern half of the Grand Rapids area.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I guess I would be excited if they were building something that wont still look like a typical (but slightly better) suburban office park married to a big box "power center".

Who knows? Maybe 2 billion will fix a lot of that.

$2 billion would practically build another urban node/core out there.  If they had $2billion in the next 2 years, one would think this website, and local media would be a buzz with renderings and speculation.  Although investments in medical research, hospitals and equipment adds up a lot quicker than typical construction/capital investments, I think the article may have been misinterpreted.  From what I read it looked like they eventually plan to spend $2billion.  They currently have about $55 million under construction over the next 2 years.   Though perhaps U of M is planning on leveraging Metro and creating a bunch of specialties and research clusters out there which wouldn't suck either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

$2 billion would practically build another urban node/core out there.  If they had $2billion in the next 2 years, one would think this website, and local media would be a buzz with renderings and speculation.  Although investments in medical research, hospitals and equipment adds up a lot quicker than typical construction/capital investments, I think the article may have been misinterpreted.  From what I read it looked like they eventually plan to spend $2billion.  They currently have about $55 million under construction over the next 2 years.   Though perhaps U of M is planning on leveraging Metro and creating a bunch of specialties and research clusters out there which wouldn't suck either. 

I read that with a bit of skepticism as well. I don't even think there's enough land left there to build $2 Billion in developments, after all of those listed in the article are built. Good for them though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

All this new development should breed more development down Byron Center south of 6, you think? More housing complexes and such.

You haven't been to that area recently? lol.

Although I will say South of M6 / EASTof Byron Center Ave is a big chunk of undeveloped land. I foresee a Chik Fil A and a car dealership. 

East of BC Ave has several big developments going in. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

You haven't been to that area recently? lol.

Although I will say South of M6 / EASTof Byron Center Ave is a big chunk of undeveloped land. I foresee a Chik Fil A and a car dealership. 

East of BC Ave has several big developments going in. 

Not recently! I feel like the metro area is a triangle. The south side keeps expanding while the north stays about the same.

Not recently! I feel like the metro area is a triangle. The south side keeps expanding while the north stays about the same.
Things are pretty crazy down there. I trained at the Walgreens in Byron Center and the patient population is exploding. Lots of people coming through the drive thru in black Yukons. It's all a bunch of suburban garbage to me, but I can tell that's where the "money" is. Plus, the high school is completing a multi million dollar addition/renovation and it seems like a new strip mall pops up daily at the 84th street exit. It's definitely the latest expansion of GR's sprawl, that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1