Metro Health Village - University of Michigan Health Systems

mpchicago

The Roof looks great to me too Nate. It will be filled in no time. How often do they have to water, and how is the watering done? It's my understanding you don't have to water that stuff to much.

Due to the size of the green roof, 48,000 sq. ft. (the second largest green roof in Michigan :shades:), we opted to put in a sprinkler system that is under the soil but has been designed to be used for only the first year or so. Right now in the hot weather they are watering daily, but that's just until the plants establish themselves and they can be left to their own devices. The hospital can disconnect the system and essentially abandon the piping under the soil and it won't bother anything. This was important because they were trying to achieve a LEED point based on not having a permanant irrigation system.

After the plants become established they would only have to water them during the most severe drought. That they could do with lawn sprinklers and hoses.

I couldn't find any word of it anywhere but I heard that Metro is building a Cancer Center out by Frog Hollow park. I heard that Triange is building it but haven't heard any more details. Anyone?

Based on my information the building is being designed by Craig Architects and built by Triangle. I have not seen an official notice but I am pretty sure that this is happening.

How big is the biggest.. just out of curiosity? :whistling:

Nevermind.. did some searching.... Ford's Truck Assembly is actually the worlds largest (454,000 sq ft).

Also out here in Holland I believe our new roof at Haworth's Corp Headquarters will be somewhere aound 50,000 sq ft. once the renovation is complete.

http://www.interiordesign.net/index.asp?la...cleid=CA6355475

Edited by PBJ

I believe our new roof at Haworth's Corp Headquarters will be somewhere aound 50,000 sq ft. once the renovation is complete

I heard your roof got scaled back and is only going to be around 40,000 sq. ft. That roof is going to be the LiveRoof module as far as I know.

Edited by Nitro

I heard your roof got scaled back and is only going to be around 40,000 sq. ft. That roof is going to be the LiveRoof module as far as I know.

Yeah, I'm digging through some internal Blogs and such to see if there's a current number. Not finding much that can be divuldged to the public (believe me I've tried to get permission as it's a really cool and really green project).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got revised drawings for the Hotel. 5 story, 113 rooms.

Thanks for the info, have you heard more if it is 100% confirmed a Hyatt Place? I work the Grand Rapids hotel market and very interested when new product enters the market. Does anyone know when/if they broke ground and when they expect to open?

Thanks for the info, have you heard more if it is 100% confirmed a Hyatt Place? I work the Grand Rapids hotel market and very interested when new product enters the market. Does anyone know when/if they broke ground and when they expect to open?

It is a Hyatt Place and ground is expected to be broken the middle of September with an 8 month construction schedule.

• 1 month later...

Open House is Sept. 10-12 in case anyone's interested.

According to the Wyoming Advance, a second hotel is planned in center of the village. That surprises me. They also mention a "major restaurant". The first retail building near the hospital that's almost finished apparently will house a pharmacy, hearing services and medical supply company.

Spartan's considering putting a D&W along Gezon. But I don't know where exactly they are thinking. Perhaps close to the YMCA?

Wyoming Advance: Countdown to a new Metro hospital, village begins

An interesting article this weekend about the opening of Metro Health Village and the economic impact on that area. With the addition of a potential 3000 - 4000 jobs, I'd say it will have quite an impact on the entire metro area, just by Metro moving from their old location (and their old location being put to new use soon).

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

The Press also had an updated map, and the other hotel proposed would go right in the middle of the actual "village green" area just West of the hospital.

Metro had a sneak peak tour of the new hospital today so I went on the tour. I must say it's quite a beautiful facility. I wish I could have gotten some interior shots, but I don't think photography was allowed inside. However Here's a collection of exterior shots as of today.

Approaching from the NW

1356236503_f6a2da6673_o.jpg

The Parking Lot.

The Sneak Peek tour got a much bigger response than I had anticipated so the open sections of the parking lot were near capacity. A Blue Cross Medical Truck was on site providing free health screenings.

1356236329_db639ebf28_o.jpg

The ER Entrance

The new Hospital's ER is much bigger than that at the old Hospital. It features two sections. One is called "Express Care" which handles less critical medical needs such as cuts, abrasions, some broken limbs, etc. The other section, featuring heavier duty faculties including two x-ray machines, will be used for more critical cases such as heart attacks, major trauma , and other life threatening conditions. By separating light cases from more critical cases, the hospital will be able to handle critical patients without causing increase wait time for less critical patients. Lastly all of the ER patents will be placed in their own rooms for increased privacy.

1357126888_118abda83c_o.jpg

The Main Entrance

The main entrance leads directing into an exquisite lobby which accommodates the out patient registration area, gift shop, and various information kiosks. Also the main Lobby features a water feater bearing the names of the many donors that contributed to the hospital's construction.

1357126502_36ce71d634_o.jpg

The Utility Plant

This semi-detected building at the rear of the hospital houses all of the climate control systems, electrical needs, and steam generation plant. The steam generation plant provides steam for sterilizing medical utensils and for cooking. Next to Utility Plant is the staff parking lot.

1356234891_18f7f1db97_o.jpg

A View of the Hospital from the SE

On the third level of the Tower is located a state of the art rehabilitation center that will be used for physical and occupational therapy. It features various obstacles such as stairs for climbing exercises, a ramp for training wheelchair bound patients and even a simulated car for training folks how to enter and exit a vehicle. Outside on an adjoining terrace, there will be various terrains to help patients learn how to walk again. There is also a fully equipped kitchen to help tech the disabled how to cook for themselves. Across the hall from the rehab room is an apartment which a physically challenged patient can stay a few weeks in to learn how to lead an independent life.

1357125230_408dc50e5f_o.jpg

"Tower A"

At seven stories high, "Tower A" houses the in-patient rooms. Each room features a single patient bed, a sofa that unfolds into a bed to allow a loved one to stay the night with the patient, a spacious bathroom to handle wheelchairs, a "nurses closet" to store every thing need to care for the patent, and a 42 inch flat screen TV. Also the hospital will be web enabled to allow patents and loved ones to communicate via internet. The hospital features provisions for a duplicate tower or "Tower B" that will be built on top of the ER wing when the need arises.

1357125730_3f9ff057f0_o.jpg

Some shots of the surrounding satellite buildings...

The new Metro Health Hospital will be the centerpiece of "Metro Health Village" and collection of Medical Care faculties, doctor's offices, and retail that will comprise over a billion dollars worth of development when Metro is fully built out. All buildings in Metro Health Village will be LEED certified or atleast include some eco-friendly features.

A collection of shops near the Hospital

1356235723_4a92e5772a_o.jpg

Various Medical buildings flanking the Hospital's north side.

1357126188_45f60ded85_o.jpg

Another medical building under construction just to the NE of the Hospital

1357125878_acce342ce9_o.jpg

Frog Hollow Play Ground located to the SE of the Hospital

1357125444_d12fbdc470_o.jpg

Overall I think the new Metro Health Hospital and the surrounding health village is going to be a fantastic addition to the GR area. The building is looks great. But the interior is absolutely beautiful. The new Hospital is set to on Sept. 30. However more sneak peak tours will be held on the 11th and 12th. I would recommended attending those tours if you want to see the new hospital for yourselves.

Edited by tamias6

I would say that my reaction at the tour was overall positive, but with some disappointment. Part of the problem was that the only hospital that I'm somewhat familiar with is Spectrum Butterworth. And if I look at it solely in comparison with Spectrum, my first impression is hype but questionable substance. I was actually a bit disappointed with the ER with the small triage area, and wondered about their capabilities to handle trauma cases.

I did like the appearance inside and out. It felt like a place where I would feel at ease as a patient or visitor. And the layout from the individual rooms to the overall floor plan seemed to reflect extensive thought and planning. The rehab/pt area was impressive. I would have liked to tour other parts of the hospital.

I was very surprised by the turnout as well. They got around 10000 visitors each of the first two days of the open house and I had to wait in line outside for about 10 minutes.

The ER at the old Metro is about a third smaller than that of the new Hospital and quite cramped.

I would say that my reaction at the tour was overall positive, but with some disappointment. Part of the problem was that the only hospital that I'm somewhat familiar with is Spectrum Butterworth. And if I look at it solely in comparison with Spectrum, my first impression is hype but questionable substance. I was actually a bit disappointed with the ER with the small triage area, and wondered about their capabilities to handle trauma cases.

I did like the appearance inside and out. It felt like a place where I would feel at ease as a patient or visitor. And the layout from the individual rooms to the overall floor plan seemed to reflect extensive thought and planning. The rehab/pt area was impressive. I would have liked to tour other parts of the hospital.

I was very surprised by the turnout as well. They got around 10000 visitors each of the first two days of the open house and I had to wait in line outside for about 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Metro Health is expanding again in their village, with a new planned $9 Million cancer center:

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2007/09/meto...d_cancer_t.html

It was interesting hearing about their planned move of 100 patients this weekend to the new hospital. :o

Wow! What a big surprise! Maybe Metro Health Village will become a second "Health Hill".

We talk a lot about who's doing the construction, financing, development of these various projects,

but does anyone know who is doing all the IT work for them? I mean, how does it happen that

all these buildings get wired for the various networking capabilities they need? It seems like there

would be a lot of jobs in the IT/computer fields with all the building of these hospital/medical care

facilities and that would be good for the area, but these companies/individuals seem so quiet.

Could going in this direction, more companies, more individuals doing this sort of work in Michigan

help the economy? Or doesn't it take much to get these buildings hooked up and going?

Feyen-Zylstra ran the cat6 and the fibre in the building

NetTech installed the Cisco backbone and VOIP gear

The various medical/environmental/security vendors installed their own stuff

Metro IT did the rest!