Metro Health Village - University of Michigan Health Systems

mpchicago

Was out near the new Metro Health Village today and happened to have my camera in the car. This development reminds me of developments you'd see in the South, like in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia or Florida. It's pretty impressive. Anyone notice the big flashing marquee along the highway?

1491610664_6c05580372_b.jpg

The entry "bridge" from Byron Center Ave is flanked by huge ponds with fountains and waterfalls. Certainly not "urbane", but definitely attention-getting.

1491619914_6e2143cfe8_b.jpg

1490760675_9785c93318_b.jpg

1490758403_5f9fb5c642_b.jpg

I also noticed Wilson Ave is now a 4 lane boulevard/road from Rivertown out to M-6, with a new Spectrum office and a new Christman development going in behind it:

1490766861_9f3652bd35_b.jpg

I also noticed a new retail development near 56th (?) and Wilson. A rapidly growing area, that's for sure. I wonder how Wyoming is to work with from a developer's perspective? :whistling:

• 1 month later...

A couple of not-so-great (IMO of course) developments on the horizon. First ITT Technical Institute is looking to relocate their Kentwood campus to Metro Health Village. This would be a 30000 sq ft. building along the same street as the Frog Hollow playground (I'm guessing further down the road).

On the other size of Byron center (not in MHV), KFC and possibly McDonald's are looking at the lots next to the CVS. It'll be interesting to see what happens here, since the zoning does not allow drive-through windows. I'm sure they'll take that to the zoning board of appeals.

Southwest Advance: Two new tenants vie for space around Metro Health Village

Edited by francishsu

A couple of not-so-great (IMO of course) developments on the horizon. First ITT Technical Institute is looking to relocate their Kentwood campus to Metro Health Village. This would be a 30000 sq ft. building along the same street as the Frog Hollow playground (I'm guessing further down the road).

On the other size of Byron center (not in MHV), KFC and possibly McDonald's are looking at the lots next to the CVS. It'll be interesting to see what happens here, since the zoning does not allow drive-through windows. I'm sure they'll take that to the zoning board of appeals.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but the Hotel going up is a Hyatt Place. Looks nice and cookie cutter.

The city leaders in Wyoming have a tough job. They have to make rules that encourage development in the some sections of the city and restrict in the other sections. Overall I think they do a decent job, but things like Gezon Parkway east of 56th St concern me (Mobil, Wendy's, oil change/car wash - after Metro Village was already announced).

I would be very disappointed if they allow a variance for a drive through in those areas, especially the 56th site, as it's on the border of residential area and directly across from a school driveway. Stranger things have happened though.

You would think will all this new tax revenue the city would be able to re-open the Gezon fire station. If I was Metro, I would have made that a condition of moving into that area. A city Wyoming's size shouldn't have just one fire station.

• 4 months later...

The wheels of change turn slowly... a few updates.

KFC site plan (not in the village itself, so a little OT) was denied by the Planning Commission due to the drive through window. Their appeal was denied by the Zoning Board of Appeals. I read some reference that KFC has initiated a lawsuit against the ZBA.

Macatawa Bank and Bank of Holland are the next tenants to announce. Don't know where they'll locate, but the village master plan shows three likely locations for banks.

Hyatt Place is under construction. A medical building across from Frog Hollow looks like it's nearing completion. I think it's the cancer treatment center. I think that the construction of the ITT Tech Institute is starting at the SE end (past Frog Hollow).

Olivia's Gift may build a facility for developmentally disabled children and adults between Hyatt Place and Frog Hollow (specifically at the site labeled as Respite Care on the master plan), but they need to raise $1.3 million first.

Lastest Southwest Advance article discussing some recent developments and challenges for attracting tentants.

In fact, it is the first of its kind--a health-related village surrounding a hospital. Granger has had to essentially develop a model as to how to sell the concept to retailers who are unfamiliar with this type of setting.

The demographics are fairly solid, as the surrounding areas boast middle and upper middle class homes. But retailers are used to anchor stores such as a Best Buy, Lowes, Target, or other big box stores that draw traffic.

What they have not seen before is a 170-acre health village area anchored by a hospital and doctor's offices.

"They don't quite know how to include those numbers," Granger said. "We feel we have a different market, or trade area. Really, we're focusing on niche businesses."

KFC site plan (not in the village itself, so a little OT) was denied by the Planning Commission due to the drive through window. Their appeal was denied by the Zoning Board of Appeals. I read some reference that KFC has initiated a lawsuit against the ZBA.

Wow, not only did the Planning Commission shoot down a drive through, but the ZBA upheld the decisions? Good for them, I hope the courts side with Wyoming as well if this is where it ends up.

Wow, not only did the Planning Commission shoot down a drive through, but the ZBA upheld the decisions? Good for them, I hope the courts side with Wyoming as well if this is where it ends up.

At the ZBA meeting, the attorney for KFC argued that KFC was not a fast food restaurant. :lol:

I saw a commercial for Wendy's in which they said they weren't fast food. I believe Arby's claimed the same thing. I suppose niether is McDonalds?

McDonald's, Burger King, and Yesterdog (man are they fast) are the only fast food restaurants that I'm aware of.

After having worked at Little Caesars for 3 years, jbr, yes. I remember having customers who would throw a fit, tell me they're not coming again and that they're going to McDonalds instead even if their wait time was as low as 2 minutes. (By the time their car left the parking lot, I was pulling their pizza out.)

Seriously... is our society so on-demand that we can't wait *gasp* 5 minutes for food to be prepared to given to us? Thats blasphemy!

It depends on how much time you have to eat. there are times when i literally don't have 5 minutes to eat. in that instance I need food NOW, not 5 minutes from now because the 5 minutes that I would be waiting are the same 5 minutes that I need to get back to where ever it is I need to go. If people have the expectation that they will be able to get food immediately because they are in a hurry but now they have to wait, of course they will be dissappointed. I would be. of course I don't mind waiting for food if I am out at a nice resturant and have all evening to wait. the time doesn't matter then.

A good example is a 30 minute lunch break. you need 10 minutes to get into your car and drive(or walk) to a resutrant. stand in line for 3 minutes and order your food. assuming that it takes 10 minutes to get back to work that leaves you with 7 minutes to sit down and eat. if it takes 5 minutes to get your food you are down to 2 minutes to eat. and while I could get a meal down in 2 minutes there are a lot of people who cant.

Then go somewhere that the food is already prepared :dontknow: Grab a premade sandwich

My point is I find it amazing that people get bent out of shape by an extra 2-3 minute wait. If you are that tight on time, maybe you should have planned something different or prepared a lunch/meal before going to work in the morning when you have time. People in the service industry are constantly crapped on because of their lack of 'speedy' service, as indicated by Tony with his above example. Its a different story if the employees are standing around doing nothing, but if they are working hard and have a ton of orders to do or are waiting on the food to actually cook, give them a break

Edited by jbr12

Haha, back to the rejected KFC. If they're not a fast food restaurant than why do they need a drive through? It seems other non-fast food places, like Big Bobs for example, survive perfectly well without drive throughs. I would think if they argued they're not fast food that would be even more of a reason to tell them they don't need a drive through.

Haha, back to the rejected KFC. If they're not a fast food restaurant than why do they need a drive through? It seems other non-fast food places, like Big Bobs for example, survive perfectly well without drive throughs. I would think if they argued they're not fast food that would be even more of a reason to tell them they don't need a drive through.

Maybe the drive through is so you can drop stuff off at KFC? :dontknow:

(like the remnants of the nasty feeling you get a few hours after eating that cr*p)

The lines get a bit blurred when you consider restaurants like Culver's and Steak and Shake, which typically do have drive throughs. I think there's even the term "fast casual". Some things that might distinguish a fast casual from fast food would be if they brought the food to you, if their drive through usage was much lower than a typical fast food, more limited open hours, etc. The attorney for KFC was claiming their drive through only accounted for 35% of their business vs. 70%+ for McDonald's. And that their hours would be more limited.

But the argument of whether it should be perceived as fast food restaurant was largely irrelevant, because the particular zoning for that property does not allow a drive through for any food establishment. So a Culver's would not even be allowed. I don't think that pick up service (where they bring the food to your car) like you see with Applebee's, etc. would be allowed even. And I don't think that Wyoming has ever granted a variance for a drive through for that zoning code (B1 neighborhood business, a very common one).

So I'd think the lawsuit has no merit. Maybe they'll argue that the B1 zoning is unfair to prohibit drive throughs for only food service businesses (pharmacies, banks, etc. are allowed in B1). And they'll probably argue that the zoning no longer makes sense for the location, due to the large number of businesses in close proximity, most of which are under a different zoning. The Wendy's on the NE corner of the intersection is in a B-2; Monelli's, Beaner's and Starbucks are in PUD zonings, etc. I'm not sure if they asked for a rezoning, though.

Edited by francishsu

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is Wyoming so keen on keeping fast food out of this corridor? They allowed a huge medical office park across the street, right off the expressway. This is not exactly an urban area, and as much as they would like to think, Byron Center Ave. isn't going to be a walking street. It's getting ready to become one of the major suburban roads in the metro. There's going to be a lot of traffic in this area, and restaurants are going to be in demand once Metro Village is complete. I understand there are residential subdivisions nearby, and a fast food would go against the zoning of that area, but I really would expect them to change that fairly soon. Am I missing something?