Metro Health Village - University of Michigan Health Systems

mpchicago

Was just checking out the Metro Health Web Page and was surprised to see little progress on the new Hospital and "Village" in Wyoming. It appears that they don't even have any skin on that building. Does anyone know if they have started the perimeter buildings or for that matter have they signed any tenants?

• 8 months later...

6th Gen,

You beat me to it! I was just out there tonight taking pictures myself. I am surprised we didn't see eachother. I have others if any anyone is would like me to post or send them. I also have a couple pics of the St. Mary's site across the freeway and also of the new Spectrum site on Wilson.

6th Gen,

You beat me to it! I was just out there tonight taking pictures myself. I am surprised we didn't see eachother. I have others if any anyone is would like me to post or send them. I also have a couple pics of the St. Mary's site across the freeway and also of the new Spectrum site on Wilson.

Were you in a white SUV?

I have pictures of the new St. Marys facility too, but was going to wait until tomorrow to post them.

Lets see your pictures.

No, I was in a light blue sedan. I will post them. It just might take a few minutes to upload.

Were you in a white SUV?

I have pictures of the new St. Marys facility too, but was going to wait until tomorrow to post them.

Lets see your pictures.

This is my first posting with pictures :whistling:

Metro Hospital - Front View from the North West

post-6831-1145668682_thumb.jpg

Metro Hospital - Rear View from the East

post-6831-1145668720_thumb.jpg

Metro Hospital - Southern View

post-6831-1145668751_thumb.jpg

Northern Outlot of Metro Village

post-6831-1145668780_thumb.jpg

St. Mary's Northern view from Metro Hospital

post-6831-1145668888_thumb.jpg

St. Mary's - Front View from the West

post-6831-1145668851_thumb.jpg

Spectrum Site at M6 and Wilson Ave. Picture is looking North.

post-6831-1145668821_thumb.jpg

There is also a second outlot of Metro Village that is under construction. I did not get any pictures of it. The site is on the Northeastern corner of the nothern Village entrance. There wasn't a sign at either location to state any tenants.

Edited by DwntwnGeo

This building...

Medical004.jpg

...is a new Medical Office Building. There are two tenants right now, with space for more. Michigan OB is taking half of the second floor and the developers' The Granger Group are relocating from Bridgewater Place to the other half of the second floor here.

Its going to look very similar to Herman Miller's Marketplace building out in Zeeland

HermanMillerMarketplace.JPG

• 3 months later...

Some updates that came out of the Planning Commission meeting this month..

Looks like the house on Byron Center that was basically surrounded by the Health Village, and stuck out like a sore thumb, has finally been acquired.

Site plan for a two story office/apartment building (offices on the first floor, apartments on the second floor) has been approved with the goal of having some staff living in the apartments by next June.

Construction of infrastructure for the retail village part of the development has begun.

We (BETA) just finished CDs for a Professional Office Building that will be connected to the main hospital building.

192065453_4c4fdb4ce5_o.jpg

Construction should be underway soon, if it isn't already. I was in the office all day today (I guess I should say yesterday since its now passd midnight) working on a rendering of the lobby for Gary Granger. I'll post it as son as possible.

Also, our project manager for our Metro projects took some construction pictures of the MOB on Friday morning. i'll try to get them posted tommorrow too.

Looks like the house on Byron Center that was basically surrounded by the Health Village, and stuck out like a sore thumb, has finally been acquired.

The house that was along Bryon Center Ave. is now gone and there is a huge and very deep hole that is in its place. It runs along Bryon Center Ave. for a ways. At first I thought it was a water retention pond for when it rains. At a second glance it seems like it coold be too deep for that.

We (BETA) just finished CDs for a Professional Office Building that will be connected to the main hospital building.

Construction should be underway soon, if it isn't already. I was in the office all day today (I guess I should say yesterday since its now passd midnight) working on a rendering of the lobby for Gary Granger. I'll post it as son as possible.

I was just going to say it kinda looks like the Herman Miller Marketplace in Zeeland, then I saw your previous post in April. :blush:

The house that was along Bryon Center Ave. is now gone and there is a huge and very deep hole that is in its place. It runs along Bryon Center Ave. for a ways. At first I thought it was a water retention pond for when it rains. At a second glance it seems like it coold be too deep for that.

It's funny, but I drive by there everyday to work and for some reason I thought it was still there. My wife even told me she didn't see a house there anymore, but I guess my mind just kept it there assuming that they were going to hold out for much longer.

Regarding the deep hole, I think it is for a pond/small lake?

That's what shows there on an outdated copy of the plan: http://www.thegrangergroup.com/downloads/MetroSiteplan.pdf

Edited by francishsu

It's funny, but I drive by there everyday to work and for some reason I thought it was still there. My wife even told me she didn't see a house there anymore, but I guess my mind just kept it there assuming that they were going to hold out for much longer.

Regarding the deep hole, I think it is for a pond/small lake?

That's what shows there on an outdated copy of the plan: http://www.thegrangergroup.com/downloads/MetroSiteplan.pdf

Holy crap, that's a lot of parking lots! Why didn't they just build a big parking ramp (or two)?

I've been doing some office work out at Metro, but I keep forgeting to bring my camera with me. Progress is going very quickly the last few months. The third and fourth floors are being painted, ceiling grids put in, and lighting is going up. The views from the penthouse are great too... :shades:

I've been doing some office work out at Metro, but I keep forgeting to bring my camera with me. Progress is going very quickly the last few months. The third and fourth floors are being painted, ceiling grids put in, and lighting is going up. The views from the penthouse are great too... :shades:

Please do take some pictures from the top!

The large hole where the house use to be is going to be a storm water retention pond. The water will be used to irrigate the village area. The pond will be connected to another one on the south side of the entrance road with a bridge going over the ponds the will lead into the center of the Village. The massive amount of parking is required by the City of Wyoming.

The large hole where the house use to be is going to be a storm water retention pond. The water will be used to irrigate the village area. The pond will be connected to another one on the south side of the entrance road with a bridge going over the ponds the will lead into the center of the Village. The massive amount of parking is required by the City of Wyoming.

Welcome LSP!

Thanks for the updates about the site :thumbsup:

I understand they require that much parking, but why not build a ramp or two, and set aside the saved area for greenspace or enlarge the park that they put in. Even Rivertown Crossings built a parking ramp.

I would agree that one or two parkings ramps would have been nice, if the freed up land could be put to better use. I wonder if they did not go with the parkings ramps because they did not want the view of the hospital obstructed. But when taking the entire village into account, replacing the two lots adjacent to the hospital would not make enough difference to the people who are complaining about the amount of asphalt, in my opinion.

And I would also give them credit for at least putting the parking lots behind the buildings in the retail village portion of the site plan (the central west part, which is also featured in the video).

Edited by francishsu

I would agree that one or two parkings ramps would have been nice, if the freed up land could be put to better use. I wonder if they did not go with the parkings ramps because they did not want the view of the hospital obstructed. But when taking the entire village into account, replacing the two lots adjacent to the hospital would not make enough difference to the people who are complaining about the amount of asphalt, in my opinion.

And I would also give them credit for at least putting the parking lots behind the buildings in the retail village portion of the site plan (the central west part, which is also featured in the video).

I'm sure much of it had to do with cost as well, but it sure detracts from an environment by looking over a sea of car rooftops.

Imagine THIS SHOT full of cars. :sick:

On another positive note: Metro health recognized for environmental excellence

Is it possible that they are trying to make it so that people have more distance to walk from their cars and increase foot traffic thoughout the village to gain a more urban feel in a low denisty area? If there was a ramp it would be close to the building and hence reduce the amount of foot traffic to get into the hostpital. It would even promote fitness to increase the walking distance all while saving money on not having ramps. But GRDad is right, cost is the main player.

Edited by Grand Rapidian

Is it possible that they are trying to make it so that people have more distance to walk from their cars and increase foot traffic thoughout the village to gain a more urban feel in a low denisty area? If there was a ramp it would be close to the building and hence reduce the amount of foot traffic to get into the hostpital. It would even promote fitness to increase the walking distance all while saving money on not having ramps. But GRDad is right, cost is the main player.

Maybe they will store all the rainwater run off from the parking lots in the large & deep pond they are creating along Bryon Center? Someone mentioned they will be using the water from the pond to irrigate the site grounds.