Church Street Center

doormanpoet

I heard several things. The first was the thugs running amuck in there. Second was the Claypool guy that ran over a pregnant attorney outside on Xmas Eve killing her and her unborn baby. I also heard that business was slow and that is why Petway Revis on church closed. Anyone really know?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see more thugs/tramps/thieves at RiverGate, Hickory Hollow or OpryMills than Church St. Center ever had. But thugs are "in" now, right? It was a very nice mall. Sad part, it was built before its time. The only people around after work were people like most of us. We're just ready to go home after work. Downtown's perceptions were different then. People had grown unaccustomed to shopping downtown, or even going there. Times are changing. I doubt we'll ever see another such project down there, which is fine with me. Give me rows of smaller stores, a Crate and Barrel, more restaurants for the average Joe, but off the tourist path.

Maybe some of the hotels can schedule cooperative junkets to Green Hills on a certain schedule. A phone number, reservations, an idle van for a drop off and pick up a couple of times a day rotated among participating hotels would be a nice courtesty, even if was provided during the larger conventions. Participation would probably be light, but the goodwill generated would be a positive thing indeed.

But another downtown mall? Is that what we really want? I don't think I could answer yes to that one. Fountain Square was very nice, a scant stone's throw from downtown, but despite it attractiveness (at the time), it lost its luster very fast. It did, in short order become a beacon for anyone with a pistol to show up and use it. Let's keep the mall rats in Antioch and elsewhere. Keep downtown safe.

I think we have talked about this before, but I have never noticed Rivergate being that bad mall as far as thugs go. Perhaps I have never been there at the right time of day.

I do know several folks who really liked Church Street Center when it was there. On other hand I know a couple folks too who thought it was rather a lack luster mall and destined to fail because of that fact.

I don't remember ever going to it, thus probably never did.

You would have remembered it. I didn't mean to say the malls I mentioned were all FULL of thugs and such to the degree I made it sound, but there are unsavory people (imo) hanging out a lot and they often spoil a good shopping trip. On one level, I enjoy my trips to Mills and Green Hills (I just never make it to the others anymore), but on another, they often appear really full of people with no real purpose than to hang out and annoy me, lol.

There was a story in the paper this morning about supermodel Nikki Taylor who lives in Brentwood now and has opened a boutique in Cool Springs. She carries clothing and items generally found only in places like L.A. or other big shopping cities. What's interesting about this is that she'd considered opening the shop in downtown Nashville...perhaps even on Broadway. Maybe others will think the same way and we'll see labels like Antik and Da Naang along with Levi's and San Antonio Tacos. And who knows, Nikki probably didn't sign a lifetime lease...maybe someday her store can move downtown. Although I can't identify with such price points on merchandise, such boutiques would be a great thing downtown. I could watch people shop while munching my taco.

It was a very nice mall. Sad part, it was built before its time. The only people around after work were people like most of us. We're just ready to go home after work. Downtown's perceptions were different then. People had grown unaccustomed to shopping downtown, or even going there. Times are changing. I doubt we'll ever see another such project down there, which is fine with me. Give me rows of smaller stores, a Crate and Barrel, more restaurants for the average Joe, but off the tourist path.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree it was before its time.. It was a great idea in theory, but who in the world did they expect to shop there? FWIW, the new library is about the best thing that could have happened to the place.

And another mall? I'm with you, Dave. I can't wait to see some street level retail return. If the shopping was there, we'd probably never go to the mall again! It would be just like when I was growing up and all of our shopping was done downtown in Cape Girardeau MO. No mall can touch that experience!

David

I agree in part that a 'mall' would be out of place in d'town Nashville. But I would welcome a large stand alone department store. Nothing too upscale, say a Dillard

I It would be just like when I was growing up and all of our shopping was done downtown in Cape Girardeau MO. No mall can touch that experience!

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cape Girardeau eh!?! Thats on the northern extent of my stompin grounds. I was just there just last week. They are doing an awful lot of revitalization downtown. It's really impressive. They are still pretty far behind Paducah (KY), but they are gaining fast, and they are well ahead of Jackson (TN). The only thing I was disappointed in downtown was they had closed the independent bookstore. :( Its getting darn hard for me to find old and interesting books anymore!!

Oh and the new Mississippi River bridge is a work of art. Its alot easier crossing it than that old rollercoaster butt-clinching bridge it replaced. ;) LOL

Cape Girardeau eh!?! Thats on the northern extent of my stompin grounds. I was just there just last week. They are doing an awful lot of revitalization downtown. It's really impressive. They are still pretty far behind Paducah (KY), but they are gaining fast, and they are well ahead of Jackson (TN). The only thing I was disappointed in downtown was they had closed the independent bookstore. :( Its getting darn hard for me to find old and interesting books anymore!!

Oh and the new Mississippi River bridge is a work of art. Its alot easier crossing it than that old rollercoaster butt-clinching bridge it replaced. ;) LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't make it home as often as I should -- but you're right about the new bridge. My sister and her family were part of the opening ceremony -- my niece won a beauty pagent and got to ride across in a convertible.. it was a lot of fun.

As for the old bridge -- when I was in Drivers Ed (in Olive Branch IL), Cape was our "city driving" experience and driving across the bridge was like a rite of passage! Some of the kids just couldn't do it! The last few times I went across it, I swear it had potholes you could see the river through!

Have to say, I'm pretty impressed that they've had the sense there to start doing something downtown -- I'm amazed that there are actually restuarants and clubs down there!

Hmmm=- we may need to make a little trip to the Cape now!

David

oops - that just got way off topic... well, maybe not - with luck, Downtown Nashville will be able to kind of recreate that childhood experience of doing all my shopping downtown again! And I'd love to see a department store too - it's was always fun to go to Cain Sloan and Castners downtown. There - back on topic :thumbsup:

What stores were in that mall?

I agree it was before its time..  It was a great idea in theory, but who in the world did they expect to shop there? FWIW, the new library is about the best thing that could have happened to the place.

And another mall? I'm with you, Dave. I can't wait to see some street level retail return. If the shopping was there, we'd probably never go to the mall again! It would be just like when I was growing up and all of our shopping was done downtown in Cape Girardeau MO. No mall can touch that experience!

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think the downtowns of yesteryear--like I knew in Memphis in the 50's and 60's and like you knew in the Cape, and really everyone in every city who's old enough knew, are gone for good. I'm sure most downtowns will get more retail, but I don't think downtowns will ever be the center of retail for the area that they once were.

I agree in part that a 'mall' would be out of place in d'town Nashville. But I would welcome a large stand alone department store. Nothing too upscale, say a Dillard

I concur with that one sleepy. I've had visions of a Gulch Target/Mini Home Depot combo type of thing. Sure would make sense. Sundries are important. Living in Hillsboro Village in the early 80s made me aware of how convenient a walkable neighorhood is. I had drug stores, laundry, dry cleaners, shoe repair, grocery, restuarants, post office, gas station, banks, the Dragon Park and the wonderful Belcourt when it was showing first runs on MY street. And all within a block or two of my house on Belcourt. With the exception of driving a couple of miles to work on Music Row everyday, I seldom used my car. Lot of bike time. Hopefully, even given the larger scheme of things, downtown Nashville can aspire to that kind of living. It was great. I was young, I think I'm gonna cry.

I'm with you guys on the Target.. how cool would a 2-3 story Target store be right downtown? Does Target even do that anywhere? I've heard vague rumors about a Target in the gulch - or maybe it was just somebody else's wishful thinking!

And yeah - the nostalgia of shopping downtown like we did as kids (I never got to go to Payless Shoes - always got my "old man" shoes at Browns Shoes on Main St because my mom insisted they fit - what a concept!)... thanks for the reminder that, yes, I too am getting older by the minute! :)

David

Maybe up in Minneapolis they might have a multi-story Target, thats tends to be where Target does there trial stuff, being thats its their backyard. I don't know of any off hand though. It would not be a bad concept though, that or even a fancy K-Mart along those lines (definately with groceries too though), that might get K-Mart back on its feet if it did something pioneering like that.

Doorman, Church Street closed because nobody shopped there. Thats about it. As for Target, there is a doubledecker target (2 floors) in Buckhead. Therefore, they do exist. I agree, a Target in or around DT would be cool, but you need a large population of certain demographics to justify the investment. I

Doorman,  Church Street closed because nobody shopped there.  Thats about it.  As for Target, there is a doubledecker target (2 floors) in Buckhead. Therefore, they do exist. I agree, a Target in or around DT would be cool, but you need a large population of certain demographics to justify the investment.  I

Maybe up in Minneapolis they might have a multi-story Target, thats tends to be where Target does there trial stuff, being thats its their backyard. I don't know of any off hand though. It would not be a bad concept though, that or even a fancy K-Mart along those lines (definately with groceries too though), that might get K-Mart back on its feet if it did something pioneering like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Down here in Atlanta (Lenox to be specific) there is a two story target. It has nifty little shopping cart escalators that go beside the regular escalators for people. Its a fun store to go to and I go there a lot.

Downtown Minneapolis has a wonderful Target store:

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2054

But downtown Minneapolis is one of the oldtime cities, still resembling the downtowns of years ago.

It has a Neiman-Marcus, Marshall Fields, and a Saks department stores all within a couple blocks of each other.

I think if WalMart were smart, they'd start doing urban downtown stores. But maybe they're dumb, though I think their present business model may be beginning to run its course.

In downtown Memphis, the only place I know of to buy shoelaces is most likely Walgreens or Schwabs on Beale St. which has been there for 100 yr. There are probably more than that, but my "shoelace test" is my criterion for a city's retail, not the $5 loaf of organic bread.

Downtown Minneapolis has a wonderful Target store:

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2054

But downtown Minneapolis is one of the oldtime cities,  still resembling the downtowns of years ago.

It has a Neiman-Marcus, Marshall Fields, and a Saks department stores all within a couple blocks of each other.

I think if WalMart were smart, they'd start doing urban downtown stores.  But maybe they're dumb, though I think their present business model may be beginning to run its course.

In downtown Memphis, the only place I know of to buy shoelaces is most likely Walgreens or Schwabs on Beale St. which has been there for 100 yr.  There are probably more than that, but my "shoelace test" is my criterion for a city's retail, not the $5 loaf of organic bread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that is a good looking complex :wub:

Looks like they were looking at a similar development in St Paul, a much smaller downtown population...maybe there is hope.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stor.../28/story1.html

I agree that is a good looking complex  :wub:

Looks like they were looking at a similar development in St Paul, a much smaller downtown population...maybe there is hope.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stor.../28/story1.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Lord. I read that article and it referred to the fact that the city of Minneapolis spent $60 million getting its downtown Target.

If that's what it takes, I say forget it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...cial_s%26sa%3DG

(sorry... I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly... :blush: ) If you'll click on that second publix, it will become a larger picture.

This is a cool URBAN Publix in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Yes.. I know... it's very Florida... But I think its VERY cool that Publix would make an urban supermarket to fit in with downtown. I'm sure that if Nashville went to bat for an urban downtown supermarket... Publix would be a great store work with. They currently are building an urban publix in downtown Orlando, and in NC, I believe.

Paula

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...cial_s%26sa%3DG

(sorry... I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly...  :blush: )  If you'll click on that second publix, it will become a larger picture.

This is a cool URBAN Publix in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale.  Yes.. I know... it's very Florida... But I think its VERY cool that Publix would make an urban supermarket to fit in with downtown.  I'm sure that if Nashville went to bat for an urban downtown supermarket... Publix would be a great store work with.  They currently are building an urban publix in downtown Orlando, and in NC, I believe.

Paula

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they are currently working on an urban publix here in midtown atlanta. It will be on the bottom (connecting) floor of a twin 18 story condo project thats filling an entire block. I assume it'll probably be a lot like the urban H.G. Hills they are going to put in the bottom of the Viridian, except maybe larger.

Plaza%20Midtown%201.jpg

Thats going to be awesome. We have a wide oats at the entry floor level of a new condo in downtown. But that Publix is our first Stand Alone URBAN supermarket. It is a very good size, with indoor parking on the first floor, and escalators that take to you to the seconde floor where you do your groceries... It's really neat!!!

Archived