Pittsburgh Transportation Update

PghUSA

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...01/daily12.html

This has finally gone through Congress (not that there was much debate on it, just a lot of bureaucracy). The article does not state when though the Parkway West --which is currently a limited access, interstate like highway from downtown Pittsburgh to the airport--will be re-signed with the I-376. I know that the congressional delegation has been working on this lately to change the PA60 to US 22/30 to I-279 to I-376 route to just I-376, glad to see it finally got through. For a time there the USDOT was considering NOT allowing it until the entire highway was fitted with "Interstate grade" rails, widenings and exit ramps--the current ones are decent but not neccessarily "big time".

This will eliminate tons of confusion for visitors especially with next years All-Star Game coming to Pittsburgh!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have trying to follow this as designation is urgently needed. While I mention that I prefer my idea of an interstate from Columbus to Pgh with 22 being the interstate on to the city, this is welcome.

Additionally, I hope that the Federal designation helps advance badly needed upgrades to bring the corridor up to Interstate standard (and WIDEN THE DAMN ROAD).

This is a good step forward though. Only question, changing the name doesn't make 22/30 disappear on the parkway west....?

^^No the road WILL indeed be widened and exit landes and ramps will be widened, guardrails etc. that was part of the deal on designating it I-376. The road isn't all that bad, mainly like I-279 near the Ohio River and I-376 Parkway East. Both are in need of "upgrades" to 21st century interstate standards.

I also like the Columbus to Altoona interstate idea but that is a good decade off if ever (not currently proposed). I for one do hope that the 22/30 designation dissapears from the road, although coming in from Burgettstown to Pittsburgh you would get confused on why 22 disappeared, but really 22 is an "interstate" or like one out there, so it as that type of highway would just end at the new 376. Not such a bad idea in my mind. US 22 would pick up as a highway in the east hills. I think that would reinforce the idea of 376 as a major interstate. :)

I remember a study was conducted on the Parkway West during Roddey's term. Widening the road and other items were part of it - but I never heard any resolution from it.

Seeing the bus ramps built in Carnegie in the 90s and adding the Settler's Cabin interchange now seems discouraging as it adds to obstacles in widening the parkway. Additionally, why add those things if in the near future, you are widening the road, shouldn't you widen it first?

Another major is issue is the 79 interchange missing ramps - yes that one is being resolved thankfully, but again, all that work when some of it might have to be redone for a widened parkway - not sure how much, but it would be impacted wouldn't it?

I wish there was a good resource on what's happening. I have from time to time serached Penndot and the Turnpike for info, but not much to be found...

Yeah the missing ramp on 279/79 is very annoying, the project is currently underway but I think it got pushed even further back from a 2 or 3 year project to a project that probably won't be done (if everything turns out ok with govt. spending) till 2010 or so :( looooooong time to wait for something that is "missing". I forget where I saw that I hope they put it back up front I think Joe Grata with the Post-Gazette had an update on its further delay recently.

Mj, you are proposing that they actually widen the road to more lanes? I at first thought that it was just adding more shoulders/emergency lanes that you were talking about (interstate standards). My only dilemma with adding lanes to the parkway west is that no matter how fast you fly through Carnegie or Rosslyn you will hit a big ole bottleneck at the Ft. Pitt Tunnels which are infinetly complex as far as adding lanes (property buying and underground explosives in a highly dense area, cost on tunnels with present day regulation etc. etc.). If this is what you are referring to as widening I think it might be smart on the outbound out by Carnegie and beyond but inbound the Ft. Pitt will always back you up to Robinson no matter how many lanes are out there. It's my hope that the proposed airport expressway from Robinson to McKeesRocks and across to Ohio River Blvd. PA 65 then down into 279 takes off and provides a rapid alternative to the airport from downtown.

I wish there was a good resource on what's happening.  I have from time to time serached Penndot and the Turnpike for info, but not much to be found...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah PennDOT doesn't update on projects that often (or as often as I'd like).

Try these two resources:

P-G Transportation page:

http://www.post-gazette.com/transportation/

each sunday they have the "Construction Around the Region" updates on the forest view from the trees

Best hobby site on Pittsburgh Transportation:

http://pittsburgh.pahighways.com/

although not great on updates per say, they do have a boat load of links that update regularly.

Hope that helps :)

Oh also I see the P-G got on the story now as well:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05217/549138.stm

Here's a diagram of the proposed re-signing:

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050805parkway.gif

I wish there was a good resource on what's happening.  I have from time to time serached Penndot and the Turnpike for info, but not much to be found...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah PennDOT doesn't update on projects that often (or as often as I'd like).

Try these two resources:

P-G Transportation page:

http://www.post-gazette.com/transportation/

each sunday they have the "Construction Around the Region" updates on the forest view from the trees

Best hobby site on Pittsburgh Transportation:

http://pittsburgh.pahighways.com/

although not great on updates per say, they do have a boat load of links that update regularly.

Hope that helps :)

Oh also I see the P-G got on the story now as well:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05217/549138.stm

Here's a diagram of the proposed re-signing:

20050805parkway.gif

Yes I do mean widen the number of lanes. A 4 lane highway is unacceptable and in fact dangerous for a thoroughfare with that much traffic. Something can be done about the approach to the tunnel. Either my West End spinoff idea (which I think you said had been discussed a while back by some state folks) of eliminating lanes as exit lanes (Greentree and 51 maybe)

The PG's 376 story had 376 "maybe" the name. This makes no sense. In the article, they confirm that the transportation bill calls for this change. The headline should read "to be" or at least "planned to be"

The highways are so out of date. I know that the Robinson interchange will get redone and it can't happen soon enough. As I mentioned with the Parkway West in general - dangerous. You have people getting and off at the same place. Not good for traffic flow either.

Those heading Westbound from Greentree, have no real ramp, it's simply, an entrance to the highway. Ugh.

Thanks for the links. I have PAhighways bookmarked and it does have great history, though as you mentioned not updated often.

Still a nice resourceful.

Seeing the bus ramps built in Carnegie in the 90s and adding the Settler's Cabin interchange now seems discouraging as it adds to obstacles in widening the parkway.  Additionally, why add those things if in the near future, you are widening the road, shouldn't you widen it first?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both Projects were/are being built with the ability to accomidate a parkway revamping project to 6-8 lanes...i'm not sure exactly HOW they accomidate that but they do.

^^the parkway west with 6 to 8 lanes will be very nice, again though they need that Saw Mill Run/West End alternative or the airport parkway alternative through Robinson over to McKeesRocks for inbound, it doesn't matter how many lanes you build the Ft. Pitt Tunnel--unless widened--will back them up to 79. :(

• 2 months later...

Update! but alas a SAD one . . . they won't be changing the signs till 2009!?!?! I didn't read the every word of the article but they never explain why it will take SOOOOOOO long, they are just signs, I realize they need to "update" the roads to "interstate standards" but there is nothing magical about 2009, the roads will probably take a decade (or more) to update fully. Why not change the signs this month!!!

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Archived