Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

Unfortunately, it looks like Baton Rouge just made the national news during a highly politicized election year in the worst way possible.

There will be a lot of outside activists and journalists trying to exploit this for some political narrative.   Let's remember to keep a cool head about this and let the facts come out before we jump to conclusions.   Very bad week for the city.   :(

23 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Very unfortunate way to make national news....dark days indeed...on the coat-tails of Shillary being above the law...

Very true.  A media frenzy of this magnitude was going to happen in some community this summer before the election.  I wish it was not Baton Rouge.  

I was skeptical....but I think Baton Rouge is trying to do the right thing here.   They've handed over the investigation to the feds (which is appropriate in this case) and suspended the two officers involved.   I think the chief, DA, and mayor will ensure that the right heads will roll if there was wrongdoing.   We'll find out soon I think.

This may be one of those situations where there is no clear path forward.   There may not be a clearly right or clearly wrong answer.   Whatever happens Baton Rouge and Louisiana will be dragged through the mud by some people, which is unfortunate.   

I have faith that Baton Rouge can overcome this and repair the damage.....and hopefully learn a few lessons if we are honest with ourselves.

Edited by cajun

On 7/9/2016 at 1:56 PM, dan326 said:

^ Yes that's true but I'd substitute law enforcement for authority. The fact that all this is covering up Hillary not getting punished doesn't make it any better. 

You are on to something there Dan...this election  has long been decided since 08'...don't want to go into further detail...try to stay out of the controversy here on UP....But it's obvious there are a different set of rules..it was actually encouraging too see Britain leave the authoritarian EU...however there are question marks there for intentional chaos....with manipulative events

Just a sad week....a lot of emotion...since the Sterling killing... there have been 5 shootings in that area in separate incidences.

Edited by richyb83

7 hours ago, richyb83 said:

You are on to something there Dan...this election  has long been decided since 08'...don't want to go into further detail...try to stay out of the controversy here on UP....But it's obvious there are a different set of rules..it was actually encouraging too see Britain leave the authoritarian EU

Just a sad week....a lot of emotion...since the Sterling killing... there have been 5 shootings in that area in separate incidences.

5? I heard of one only.

8 hours ago, richyb83 said:

You are on to something there Dan...this election  has long been decided since 08'...don't want to go into further detail...try to stay out of the controversy here on UP....But it's obvious there are a different set of rules..it was actually encouraging too see Britain leave the authoritarian EU

Indeed.

There is a BR Crime thread that could easily have the most post....but choose to stay away from it(keep it on back pages).....Summer can be cruel; tricky situations...but no wonder police are scared(being killed in record numbers)...they would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Thursday night not far away near Gus Young Ave
http://theadvocate.com/news/1634239...y-night-near-scene-of-alton-sterling-shooting

Thursday Morning
http://theadvocate.com/news/1633581...r-altercation-at-apartments-on-lobdell-avenue

The night before...Woman shot in neck in a car..injured...just few blocks away
http://www.wafb.com/story/32387017/...r-location-of-alton-sterling-shooting-protest

Over off Winbourne just across the tracks...
http://theadvocate.com/news/1633771...n-winbourne-wounded-person-found-a-block-away
& another possible shooting a few blocks from that...didn't bother to find details..this stuff can get depressing

On 7/9/2016 at 11:39 AM, Antrell Williams said:

Distrust of law enforcement mainly. 

Police Brutality and distrust of law enforcement is a serious issue....but things get hyper political and framed as racial the summer before elections intentionally.   

Cool heads are needed.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dan326 said:

^It is but I'm saying its sort of a hypocritical article considering Los Angeles is probably also segregated, especially by class.

That doesn't mean that the situation in Baton Rouge is any less significant. Most cities with a historical black population are segregated. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016 at 0:24 AM, mr. bernham said:

So....the LA Times is portraying Baton Rouge as a divided city,

Screw them and every other national media outlet that create division and sacrifices public safety in Baton Rouge for some BS agenda (I seriously will not watch CNN anymore after the shooting).   The shooter was not from Baton Rouge, and the most divisive rhetoric heard in this city in decades were from national media sources spouting the same tired old "copy and paste" crap about southern towns along with outside agitators that came into the city with nefarious intentions.   

6 hours ago, dan326 said:

^It is but I'm saying its sort of a hypocritical article considering Los Angeles is probably also segregated, especially by class.

Los Angeles has been dealing with major problems with racism, police brutality, and violent activists for decades now.   Baton Rouge isn't perfect....but her worst day in 2016 featured a populace that is less divided and less hateful than Los Angeles in the 1990s alone.

Edited by cajun

On 7/22/2016 at 10:11 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Is Baton Rouge not divided by Florida Blvd?

Pretty much...however more blacks are south of the Florida Blvd dividing-line than whites north of it..(in BR proper)..when you include Old South BR; Valley Park; Mayfair ; Gardere; Blvd de Province & other smaller enclaves

Hispanic corridor has formed along Old Hammond Hwy east of Sherwood Forest....including Spanish market; radio station & drivers license place

Edited by richyb83

13 hours ago, cajun said:

Screw them and every other national media outlet that create division and sacrifices public safety in Baton Rouge for some BS agenda (I seriously will not watch CNN anymore after the shooting).   The shooter was not from Baton Rouge, and the most divisive rhetoric heard in this city in decades were from national media sources spouting the same tired old "copy and paste" crap about southern towns along with outside agitators that came into the city with nefarious intentions.   

Los Angeles has been dealing with major problems with racism, police brutality, and violent activists for decades now.   Baton Rouge isn't perfect....but her worst day in 2016 featured a populace that is less divided and less hateful than Los Angeles in the 1990s alone.

What makes you believe that this division was not there before? 

10 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Pretty much...however more blacks are south of the Florida Blvd dividing-line than whites north of it..(in BR proper)..when you include Old South BR; Valley Park; Mayfair ; Blvd de Province & other smaller enclaves

Hispanic corridor has formed along Old Hammond Hwy east of Sherwood Forest....including Spanish market; radio station & drivers license place

I don't understand what you mean? They are still treated the same, and are statistically the same as those neighborhoods in north BR. 

2 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

What makes you believe that this division was not there before? 

I CLEARLY stated that the most divisive rhetoric heard in decades were from national media sources.  Not the ONLY divisive rhetoric.  Why jump to build a straw man?   YOU suggested that posters keep it civil....but it's YOU that's using fallacious logic to instigate a response from me.  

The activist media frenzy around these events made things vastly worse for Baton Rouge citizens and law enforcement.   That's clear as day to anyone without their head in the sand.    

Baton Rouge pulls together after tragedy: Editorial

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/07/baton_rouge_shootings.html

Edited by cajun