Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

6 minutes ago, cajun said:

It's the people and a culture of corruption.   It allows Louisiana and its natural resources to be exploited without the benefit of real corporate opportunities.   The state's best and brightest often leave for better opportunity in states with a more business-friendly government like Texas.

New Orleans has tourism, which itself is highly cyclical and depended on the economic health of the entire country.   A bit part of what insulated New Orleans from the last economic downturn was the federal and state dollars being shoveled into its redevelopment and recovery.   In fact that helped delay the state's budget crisis for a couple of years and bolstered the housing market in south Louisiana    New Orleans outperforms its weight class in entertainment, culture, hotels, and restaurants.....but it is an embarrassment when it comes to publicly traded corporate headquarters and white collar jobs.   In that respect it can barely keep up with Baton Rouge - and it has a reputation of being both parochial and a very difficult place for outsiders to grow professionally.

We are currently in an oil bust, which is forcing an unwilling, uncooperative state government into spending cuts.   If oil prices go up, the state government will see more revenue.   They'll just waste more of it on anything except the infrastructure the taxpayers desperately need.

Partisan politics I think are some of the largest culprits of this condition. FOUR of my closest friends have relocated to the Denver/Boulder area because of this. 

You hit the nail on the head with NOLA. What's even more telling are the amount of friends I have come from out of state and they rave about the city yet there's no way they could get a job in their field that pays more than $12/hr. 

Are we in a oil or not state? Meaning is this the time in which we need to disband from our connection to oil production and giving that industry massive tax breaks in order to invest in the infrastructure and citizens? I fear that we cannot have a happy medium of removing these tax breaks as well as retaining majority of the industry as well as growing it through infrastructure investment. This region is literally choking itself into irrelevancy. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, a huge problem is that there is not a united political agenda even in the legislature. The LAGOP and the LADP are both treated like branches of the larger organizations and as such have no coherent policy on where to take the state. Maybe that's just my perspective, but I feel if our state political parties had genuine agenda's on how to solve our states problems we could maybe actually get stuff done. We need organization and we need to focus on the real issues, not the petty social issues that some Republicans use just to get out the vote (Democrats do it too, but I really thinking about Jeff Landry and his targeted fights on gay rights). 

Taking away tax breaks and pledging to reinvest that money in our states infrastructure would not only just make sense, but I sense it would be very politically palpable to literally everyone. Reinvestment in infrastructure without raising the public's taxes? Why the hell HAVEN'T we done this.

• 5 weeks later...

Think this Crest will Rank 16th all time...the system should be able to handle ok

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
riteofspring2017_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
Annual Rite of Spring
Experience the MISSISSIPPI RIVER CRESTING!

The Mighty Mississippi River's annual cresting is occurring once again, and downtown is the best place to view this phenomenon! It will not be long before the waters begin to recede with this annual rite of spring. Use this week and the Memorial Day weekend activities to experience the power of the Mississippi River along the levee promenade. You can now access the levee promenade from 3 downtown locations: South Boulevard, Riverfront Plaza, and River Road at Florida Street. While downtown, take in some of the riverfront attractions and events. See links below!

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Attractions >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif EVENTS >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif

• 1 year later...

Cool! Hopefully they really build it. Even though it's relatively small is still something. This is another thing I'll have to reserve full excitement until I see dirt moving. Only thing left is a new bridge.

Edited by dan326

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, dan326 said:

Cool! Hopefully they really build it. Even though it's relatively small is still something. This is another thing I'll have to reserve full excitement until I see dirt moving. Only thing left is a new bridge.

It's already under construction from what I understand.   They are trying to hire people to staff it now.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:02 PM, mr. bernham said:

Taking away tax breaks and pledging to reinvest that money in our states infrastructure would not only just make sense

We aren't getting that money either way.   Without those tax breaks, those companies that receive them wouldn't invest here.  

So we can either provide tax breaks and have jobs for our citizens, or not provide them and not have the jobs.    Either way, we aren't getting revenue  directly from those new companies.   At least in providing tax breaks and attracting the investment, we would at least get ancillary tax revenue as the employees earn and spend money in Louisiana.   

So eliminating tax breaks to pay for infrastructure doesn't make sense at all  because eliminating them won't result in new tax revenue.   The companies would just go to Texas or to some other state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cajun said:

It's already under construction from what I understand.   They are trying to hire people to staff it now.

We aren't getting that money either way.   Without those tax breaks, those companies that receive them wouldn't invest here.  

So we can either provide tax breaks and have jobs for our citizens, or not provide them and not have the jobs.    Either way, we aren't getting revenue  directly from those new companies.   At least in providing tax breaks and attracting the investment, we would at least get ancillary tax revenue as the employees earn and spend money in Louisiana.   

So eliminating tax breaks to pay for infrastructure doesn't make sense at all  because eliminating them won't result in new tax revenue.   The companies would just go to Texas or to some other state.

I would imagine a competent plan would invest in other, more diverse, less taxing on our environment and infrastructure, and less economically fluctuating industries than we currently give tax dollars to. We have options there. 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:06 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I would imagine a competent plan would invest in other, more diverse, less taxing on our environment and infrastructure, and less economically fluctuating industries than we currently give tax dollars to. We have options there. 

IBM and DXC are a decent start.    

But our historically stupid state government and craptastic infrastructure hold us back "bigly".  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
IBM and DXC are a decent start.    
But our historically stupid state government and craptastic infrastructure hold us back "bigly".  
Depending on who you ask.
Yes, it does. Which is why I question giving them tax dollars while our infrastructure crumbles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

NBC commits to script for crime drama ‘Red Stick’ set in Baton Rouge                      https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/nbc-commits-to-script-for-crime-drama-red-stick-set-in-baton-rouge                   https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62280264

Edited by greg225

• 10 months later...

I newly found this historic house located just outside downtown. Shame it's fallen into disrepair.

The Knox Cottage is one of the few remaining Creole style cottages in Baton Rouge. This cottage type was quite prevalent in Louisiana vernacular architecture.

It says it was constructed around 1890 which isn't that old but still interesting.

knott house.PNG

knott house2.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 6:22 PM, richyb83 said:

What if East Baton Rouge and its $32.8B GDP were in another state?

East Baton Rouge Parish, with its $32.8 billion GDP in 2018, would be the economic county leader in 15 states, including Louisiana.

https://www.businessreport.com/business/east-baton-rouge-gdp-rank-other-states

Cool! I wonder how long EBR had been the #1 economy of Louisiana. New Orleans must not know that, lol.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well, let it be recorded in the annals of Baton Rouge that in March 2020 coronavirus caution has swept the state of Louisiana, causing events, businesses, and public facilities to shut down temporarily to prevent the spread of disease. 

Edited by dan326

1 hour ago, dan326 said:

Well, let it be recorded in the annals of Baton Rouge that in March 2020 coronavirus caution has swept the state of Louisiana, causing events, businesses, and public facilities to shut down temporarily to prevent the spread of disease. 

Yep...what a mess! Caution seems to have become PANIC  in grocery stores w empty shelves; have NEVER seen TOILET PAPER go so quick! has the feel of an approaching Hurricane in the Gulf/ 9 -11

Thought about posting Cancellation(Ppd?) of St.Patrick's Parade  in Perkins Road Over Pass... annually post the Green  Route Map  pic

2020 has already been a Roller Coaster ride in a little over two months....From LSU's National Championship; Kobe's helicopter death w daughter & 7 others ; Failed impeachment; Tyson Fury/Deontay Wilder Heavyweight Boxing Championship craziness ;.......NOW THIS

Edited by richyb83

On 3/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, richyb83 said:

Yep...what a mess! Caution seems to have become PANIC  in grocery stores w empty shelves; have NEVER seen TOILET PAPER go so quick! has the feel of an approaching Hurricane in the Gulf/ 9 -11

Thought about posting Cancellation(Ppd?) of St.Patrick's Parade  in Perkins Road Over Pass... annually post the Green  Route Map  pic

2020 has already been a Roller Coaster ride in a little over two months....From LSU's National Championship; Kobe's helicopter death w daughter & 7 others ; Failed impeachment; Tyson Fury/Deontay Wilder Heavyweight Boxing Championship craziness ;.......NOW THIS

Yh, I think 9/11/Katrina describes the atmosphere well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 9:55 PM, dan326 said:

Here are some pics of the nearly empty Interstates & Streets around BR

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/multimedia/photos/collection_bf0d302a-6e38-11ea-a00a-83ff31f668af.html#4

image.png.861a7b18c63b01e3c41bcf8163c47723.pngimage.png.861a7b18c63b01e3c41bcf8163c47723.pngimage.png.861a7b18c63b01e3c41bcf8163c47723.pngimage.png.861a7b18c63b01e3c41bcf8163c47723.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, dan326 said:

Census time is here. My educated guess is that BR metro is at 920k or at least that's what I want it to be.

If I had to guess, the metro area is now about 855,000 - 865,000 -  between 5% and 6% growth over 2010 for the 2020 census.    Targeting 905,000 or so by 2030 and 970,000 by 2040 -  barring any major localized natural disaster or unprecedented economic boom that causes unexpected decline or growth.

Baton Rouge has expanded slightly into Cajun country:  I think Assumption parish was added to the Baton Rouge metro area since 2010 although there weren't any news reports on this.    This is the Pierre Part and Paincourtville area.  It's appears that the plants and industrial facilities in Ibberville and West Baton Rouge draw more commuters from that area than Thibodeaux/Houma do at this point.   

• Assumption Parish new addition to the metro - about 22,000 people although I am having trouble verifying this.
  • Ascension+ Livingston are probably up 25,000-30,000 combined.  They'd be higher if not for the floods of 2016.
  • East Baton Rouge, St. Helena, East Feliciana,  Ibberville, and Pointe Coupee are all either stagnant or down slightly.    Maybe combined net loss of about 1500.
  • West Feliciana and West Baton Rouge may have added about 1,000 combined.   

Of course all of this is really dependent on how Covid impacted the census.   I imagine a lot of college students in the Baton Rouge area moved back home with their parents in March/April of 2020.    Some folks may have also just avoided filling out the census this year.

Other trends:

• Hammond is now it's own metro area, and will not join New Orleans or Baton Rouge.
  • Lafayette (approximately 500,000) and New Orleans (1,275,000) will post some gains as they have both added one new parish each, but the cities themselves are holding steady.
  • Shreveport is probably down slightly, and will officially be replaced by Lafayette as the state's 3rd largest metro when the 2020 census data becomes available.
  • Lake Charles is a question mark, as I think the hurricanes may have impacted the census responses.   I expect this area to have grown though considering the massive industrial expansion happening there.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:09 AM, richyb83 said:

Yes it is Dan...  hmmm lets see  In 2000.... 706,000 .....(MSA)   2010 up to 802,000

Long term, it would be helpful for the state and Baton Rouge to encourage more development north/west of Baton Rouge (towards St. Francisville, Clinton, New Roads, Port Allen, and Brusly).  Maybe even towards Woodville, MS.

Those areas are smaller, but much more dependent on the Baton Rouge metro area than anywhere else.    Hopefully we can get an automobile plant or some kind of factory north of the airport to help push some of this.    There's more developable land up there suitable for residential.   There's underutilized infrastructure (rare in Louisiana) and less flooding.   In some cases, there are very solid public schools (Brusly, West Feliciana).   All of those areas are very affordable for families, with low taxes and reasonable housing costs.

The other benefit is that retail in north BR would potentially benefit from nearby growth in that direction. 

Of course, projects like the Comite Canal or the Darlington Reservoir are critical for this.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1