NCB

Baton Rouge City Profile

6 minutes ago, cajun said:

It's the people and a culture of corruption.   It allows Louisiana and its natural resources to be exploited without the benefit of real corporate opportunities.   The state's best and brightest often leave for better opportunity in states with a more business-friendly government like Texas.

New Orleans has tourism, which itself is highly cyclical and depended on the economic health of the entire country.   A bit part of what insulated New Orleans from the last economic downturn was the federal and state dollars being shoveled into its redevelopment and recovery.   In fact that helped delay the state's budget crisis for a couple of years and bolstered the housing market in south Louisiana    New Orleans outperforms its weight class in entertainment, culture, hotels, and restaurants.....but it is an embarrassment when it comes to publicly traded corporate headquarters and white collar jobs.   In that respect it can barely keep up with Baton Rouge - and it has a reputation of being both parochial and a very difficult place for outsiders to grow professionally.

We are currently in an oil bust, which is forcing an unwilling, uncooperative state government into spending cuts.   If oil prices go up, the state government will see more revenue.   They'll just waste more of it on anything except the infrastructure the taxpayers desperately need.

Partisan politics I think are some of the largest culprits of this condition. FOUR of my closest friends have relocated to the Denver/Boulder area because of this. 

You hit the nail on the head with NOLA. What's even more telling are the amount of friends I have come from out of state and they rave about the city yet there's no way they could get a job in their field that pays more than $12/hr. 

Are we in a oil or not state? Meaning is this the time in which we need to disband from our connection to oil production and giving that industry massive tax breaks in order to invest in the infrastructure and citizens? I fear that we cannot have a happy medium of removing these tax breaks as well as retaining majority of the industry as well as growing it through infrastructure investment. This region is literally choking itself into irrelevancy. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, a huge problem is that there is not a united political agenda even in the legislature. The LAGOP and the LADP are both treated like branches of the larger organizations and as such have no coherent policy on where to take the state. Maybe that's just my perspective, but I feel if our state political parties had genuine agenda's on how to solve our states problems we could maybe actually get stuff done. We need organization and we need to focus on the real issues, not the petty social issues that some Republicans use just to get out the vote (Democrats do it too, but I really thinking about Jeff Landry and his targeted fights on gay rights). 

Taking away tax breaks and pledging to reinvest that money in our states infrastructure would not only just make sense, but I sense it would be very politically palpable to literally everyone. Reinvestment in infrastructure without raising the public's taxes? Why the hell HAVEN'T we done this.

Think this Crest will Rank 16th all time...the system should be able to handle ok

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
riteofspring2017_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
Annual Rite of Spring
Experience the MISSISSIPPI RIVER CRESTING!

The Mighty Mississippi River's annual cresting is occurring once again, and downtown is the best place to view this phenomenon! It will not be long before the waters begin to recede with this annual rite of spring. Use this week and the Memorial Day weekend activities to experience the power of the Mississippi River along the levee promenade. You can now access the levee promenade from 3 downtown locations: South Boulevard, Riverfront Plaza, and River Road at Florida Street. While downtown, take in some of the riverfront attractions and events. See links below!

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Attractions >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif EVENTS >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif

Nice Infill development for the Celtic Studios/Costco area!   Good location along the Gulf South 10/12 corridor btwn Texas  &  Florida

• Like 1

Cool! Hopefully they really build it. Even though it's relatively small is still something. This is another thing I'll have to reserve full excitement until I see dirt moving. Only thing left is a new bridge.

Edited by dan326

On 7/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, dan326 said:

Cool! Hopefully they really build it. Even though it's relatively small is still something. This is another thing I'll have to reserve full excitement until I see dirt moving. Only thing left is a new bridge.

It's already under construction from what I understand.   They are trying to hire people to staff it now.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:02 PM, mr. bernham said:

Taking away tax breaks and pledging to reinvest that money in our states infrastructure would not only just make sense

We aren't getting that money either way.   Without those tax breaks, those companies that receive them wouldn't invest here.  

So we can either provide tax breaks and have jobs for our citizens, or not provide them and not have the jobs.    Either way, we aren't getting revenue  directly from those new companies.   At least in providing tax breaks and attracting the investment, we would at least get ancillary tax revenue as the employees earn and spend money in Louisiana.   

So eliminating tax breaks to pay for infrastructure doesn't make sense at all  because eliminating them won't result in new tax revenue.   The companies would just go to Texas or to some other state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cajun said:

It's already under construction from what I understand.   They are trying to hire people to staff it now.

We aren't getting that money either way.   Without those tax breaks, those companies that receive them wouldn't invest here.  

So we can either provide tax breaks and have jobs for our citizens, or not provide them and not have the jobs.    Either way, we aren't getting revenue  directly from those new companies.   At least in providing tax breaks and attracting the investment, we would at least get ancillary tax revenue as the employees earn and spend money in Louisiana.   

So eliminating tax breaks to pay for infrastructure doesn't make sense at all  because eliminating them won't result in new tax revenue.   The companies would just go to Texas or to some other state.

I would imagine a competent plan would invest in other, more diverse, less taxing on our environment and infrastructure, and less economically fluctuating industries than we currently give tax dollars to. We have options there. 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:06 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I would imagine a competent plan would invest in other, more diverse, less taxing on our environment and infrastructure, and less economically fluctuating industries than we currently give tax dollars to. We have options there. 

IBM and DXC are a decent start.    

But our historically stupid state government and craptastic infrastructure hold us back "bigly".  

• Like 2