Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

Yeah only wine and hard alcohol sales on Sunday cause those problems. But yet Burgess had no problem buying beer on Sundays, I guess beer doesn't cause those kinds of problems. Then theres "Bones" not wanting them to buy wine or hard liquor on a day when he worships God, but beer sales on those days are okay. Such hypocrits... Yet they managed to have a city amendment on the ballot that was loaded with 28 seperate issues so they could get their pay raises b/c they knew standing along the people of this parish would have never voted for that. I know I voted "No" on that amendment simply b/c they wanted a raise and I don't feel they deserve one. Had they passed the "Acceptance Resolution" I would have voted "yes". As a gay man living, working and paying taxes in this city they have made me feel like my contribution to the city is not wanted and that I am not wanted here. They just gave me more incentive to stay here, if for no other reason just to annoy them that there is another gay person living among them. LOL

Yeah only wine and hard alcohol sales on Sunday cause those problems. But yet Burgess had no problem buying beer on Sundays, I guess beer doesn't cause those kinds of problems. Then theres "Bones" not wanting them to buy wine or hard liquor on a day when he worships God, but beer sales on those days are okay. Such hypocrits... Yet they managed to have a city amendment on the ballot that was loaded with 28 seperate issues so they could get their pay raises b/c they knew standing along the people of this parish would have never voted for that. I know I voted "No" on that amendment simply b/c they wanted a raise and I don't feel they deserve one. Had they passed the "Acceptance Resolution" I would have voted "yes". As a gay man living, working and paying taxes in this city they have made me feel like my contribution to the city is not wanted and that I am not wanted here. They just gave me more incentive to stay here, if for no other reason just to annoy them that there is another gay person living among them. LOL

It's personal responsibility issues meeting separation of church and state. The Blue Laws never should have been allowed in the first place. It's backwards thinking.

Here's a little map I made of Baton Rouge road patterns. Red is square grid pattern, Green is rectuagular grid pattern,Blue are large neighborhoods with linear roads and good connectivity and Purple are relatively large neighborhoods with loose linears roads and good connectivitey.

brmapanyby5.jpg

I really like this kind of stuff, it is cool. :shades: The red-shade in the urban core sure has a tight grid. NBR has a nice lengthy area of linnear/rectangular grid patterns.

BR being the late bloomer it was had built Airline Hwy. as a by-pass; and built "diagonal" NW to SE (SE headed toward NOLA) really threw the grid patterns into a shamble. Poor planning thinking all development was good development which isn't true. Also Jefferson Hwy; Perkins Rd; Highland; and I-10 all head SE and messed with a good grid system.

Bayou Duplantier really affects the connectivity between Perkins and Highland; residents did not want those neighborhoods along there to connect. Also those old roads followed the highlands between the creeks and bayou's diagonal in direction messing the grid up; of course all those single entranced neighborhoods add to the problem.

Conecting Bluebonnet Blvd.with Coursey Blvd. was a great idea. Such a short stretch of road to make such a big impact!!

The 400 or 500+ acre Rural Life Plantation off Essen is a huge gap really messed up traffic. The big gap in the middle continues to fill up around the Towne Center. But the Cedar Lodge horse ranch decide to keep some of that land.

Infil TND's Rouzan and Arden should fil in the other larger gaps.

Edited by richyb83

See I don't think Airline had to be that big of a problem. We could have had our grid pattern but make the whole grid curve around the core like a big semi-circle. It really could have worked especially had we continued with the "green" patern, it already basically semi-circled around the core.

I was in BR for two days attending a meeting downtown. Although I usually spend some time at the Capitol when the legislature is in session, this was the first time that I really had an opportunity to venture off, go to the Shaw Center, the river front, etc. When I drove home, I decided to avoid I-10 and took Perkins. Perkins Rowe is very nice. A Bally's Fitness? I'm jealous. I hope they build one in NOLA. I'm very impressed with how far BR has come!

Regrettably, though, your council's statements in connection with the diversity resolution made me ill. I thought I was reading the results of a deliberation of some small town in north east Louisiana or somewhere in Mississippi.

I bet each one of those judgmental council members thinks of himself/herself as a "Christian", and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the councilmen is closeted and self-loathing. Oh well, progress takes time!

I was in BR for two days attending a meeting downtown. Although I usually spend some time at the Capitol when the legislature is in session, this was the first time that I really had an opportunity to venture off, go to the Shaw Center, the river front, etc. When I drove home, I decided to avoid I-10 and took Perkins. Perkins Rowe is very nice. A Bally's Fitness? I'm jealous. I hope they build one in NOLA. I'm very impressed with how far BR has come!

Regrettably, though, your council's statements in connection with the diversity resolution made me ill. I thought I was reading the results of a deliberation of some small town in north east Louisiana or somewhere in Mississippi.

I bet each one of those judgmental council members thinks of himself/herself as a "Christian", and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the councilmen is closeted and self-loathing. Oh well, progress takes time!

Thanks for noticing our growth. We like it, it gives us something to talk about. As far as our council..... they are a big joke. Thats a sore subject with me mainly b/c of the "Acceptance Resolution", although I wasn't fond of them before. A couple of more years and we can have more progess when we vote them out. And yes, "NOLA does matter" :D

Thanks for noticing our growth. ............ And yes, "NOLA does matter" :D

You're quite welcome. And thanks for concurring. It seems that some have written off the city. The city's population is now at or slighlty above 300K, and the metro area is over 1,150,000. Things seem so much busier than they were a year ago, and seeing the streetcars on St. Charles this morning was a great sight.

Perhaps, in 20 years, there will be no rural area between the two cities, and we can have our own megacity!

You're quite welcome. And thanks for concurring. It seems that some have written off the city. The city's population is now at or slighlty above 300K, and the metro area is over 1,150,000. Things seem so much busier than they were a year ago, and seeing the streetcars on St. Charles this morning was a great sight.

Perhaps, in 20 years, there will be no rural area between the two cities, and we can have our own megacity!

yea like new york and jersey

With the way both metro's are growing, you know they will merge eventually. Though there is obviously a long way to go on both sides of the lake. On the southshore, there's nothing but development in New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, then you have the lake and the swamp, and then a great deal of undeveloped land all the way over to Gonzales. On the northshore, the row of development is certainly spreading from Slidell to Covington and beyond, but there is still much to be done in Tangipahoa and Livingston.

And Dan, unless New Orleans' metro somehow triples in size over the next few decades and Baton Rouge doesn't grow at all, B.R. would never be absorbed by Greater New Orleans. However, I could definately see a smaller Dallas-Fort Worth forming over time. Two distinctly different and well-defined cities sitting on opposite sides of one large metro area. That would certainly be pretty cool! :shades: