Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the same distance apart as San Antonio and Austin and if those two huge cities can't merge together then I don't think we will ether. I know everybody probably thinks I'm being ridiculous, but I don't want New Orleans and Baton Rouge to merge. As much as I like New Orleans I don't want them to "subordinate" as the region becomes the New Orleans/ Baton Rouge Metropolita Area. -_-

Edited by dan326

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the same distance apart as San Antonio and Austin and if those two huge cities can't merge together then I don't think we will ether. I know everybody probably thinks I'm being ridiculous, but I don't want New Orleans and Baton Rouge to merge. As much as I like New Orleans I don't want them to "subordinate" as the region becomes the New Orleans/ Baton Rouge Metropolita Area. -_-

haha yea, i def. think its a silly idea...

if you wanna live in a huge metro, move to DFW, Houston, or NYC

You guys don't know how well you have things.

I've lived in Houston and Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I feel sorry for the 2 million people that live in Houston. Baton Rouge was pretty cool.

Everyone keeps saying that they'd like more people to move here. Take it slow. The Houston area is growing faster than any city in America save for Las Vegas.

Trust me, people don't move to Houston because the WANT to live there. People move to Houston because that is where their job is.

I want Baton Rouge to do it's own thing and New Orleans to be itself. All this talk about one combined city would scare me if I lived there.

Edited by cajun

Not everyone moves to Houston b/c they have to. I'd move to Houston voluntarily. I like Houston and their 4 million ppl.

eek, i don't... my sister lives there... horribly ugly city with no great geography... whats it near?? an ugly coast? (i'd rather have alabama's beaches...) At least Atlanta and Charlotte has the Mountains near by, Chicago has the lakes, LA has coast and mountains....Dallas isnt as ugly haha.... Houston's just ick... at least thats my opinion...

Technically, Houston is right on the coast. If I had to move to Houston or Dallas/Ft.Worth, I'd do it voluntarily because not only could I get a better-paying job for what I'm doing now, but there's bookoo stuff to get into in DFW & Houston. The only issue I have with Houston & Dallas is that they're spread out; almost nothing is within walking distance. You can't get around either city without a car.

I LOVE Houston's skyline. I think they have the best in the country. I love their towers, very modern and new.

yea, they do have a nice skyline...but i say thats all they got goin for them...haha

sure they have all the crap a huge city has to offer, but like said above, its too spread out, no real mass transit system, and the coast its on doesnt have nice beaches or anything...

Edited by MobileLSUboy09

I LOVE Houston's skyline. I think they have the best in the country. I love their towers, very modern and new.

Yeah, my favorite part is driving up 610 N from the Bellaire area through uptown. It's kind of amazing actually. Everytime I take a plane from Houston I am always looking out of the window at all the tall buildings.

Beltway 8 at Westchase is building up so much that it is starting to look like Westheimer at 610. Very impressive indeed.

Houston is not my favorite place to be, but I imagine that if I was loaded and could afford one of those 50th floor penthouses then I'd appreciate it more ;)

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

This was in the Sunday Business section of The Advocate; Nice read....but very lengthy. It mentions retail like Perkins Rowe, The Boulevard; Cabela's/ Bass Pro; Juban Crossing, Acadian Village; Staples. The rise of the TND. Cinema shuffle; Real Estate deals like II City Plaza; Wampold Hotel (Radisson?) on Bluebonnet; Howell Place;Kaiser Plant. It also mentions Old SBR; Mid City, Florida Blvd overlay district. Downtown Development like Kress; One Eleven; The Brownstones;(not the new Courthouse) and MUCH more!

*can click on pic of part of Perkins Rowe*

A look back at major business stories of 2007

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/12886982.html

Sent into overdrive by the 2005 hurricanes, Baton Rouge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found a book in the library with a little information on the retail jewel Cortana Mall.

Cortana Mall

cortanamall.jpg

$70 million Cortana Mall opened in 1976 at 1.4 million sq ft ,almost double Bon Marche Mall, and the largest mall in Louisiana, one of the largest malls in the South, and one of the top 10 largest malls in the world. It was regarded as the "Showplace for Shoppers" and I'm sure the "Showcase for Retailers". Later they added the small wing with the former Mervyn's which increased the size to 1.6 million making it still the largest mall in Baton Rouge and probably in Louisiana.

My mom worked there as a teen when it first opened and she said it was the place to be. Everyone was there all the time. I remember going to Bn Marche Mall a very long time ago and playing with the toys while my mom shopped for clothes. I also remember going to Cortana all the time, it was like a huge maze. Then the Mall of Louisiana opened at which time my mom says they changed the name to "Mall at Cortana". The Mall of Louisiana was like a huge maze also(I was only 6). Crossing from the Parisian's(now Macy's) to Dillard's was like a great migration. :lol:

Mall of Louisiana

mall.jpg

I really love Cortana and I hope it doesn't get screwed over by Juban Crossing. What I think they should do is knock off the Mervyn's shell and replace it with a movie theater,maybe a AMC and turn the Mervyn's wing into a full-fledged food court. I also think they should replace Steve&Barry's with a legitimate store like Belk. They also need to knock down Cortana Square and MJ's Superstore and build something new in its place as they are nothing but embarissing eyesores. Updating the inside decor with a more contemporary theme would probably help. And take out those cheezy bling boothes,I'm sorry but those things chase away the kind of clientele that the nice stores follow. Also they need to stop spending money on advertisng because people already know about the mall they just don't want to go there. Maybe I should send these sugestions to the mall manager?

Mall at Cortana Layout

c1bi3.png

Edited by dan326

Where did you find the old Cotana pic?? At least it's good to see a new Office Depot, Bed Bath Beyond, etc. fronting Florida Blvd now. Super Wal-Mart and Lowe's help keep the Cortana Blvd. very active. I would like a hotel at the Mall of LA. at least 12-stories; if we could just move the Renaissance Hotel that way??lol

Maybe BR leaders can get some good idea's??

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber has selected Richmond, Va., for its 2008 traveling workshop.

Several colleges have created an advanced partnership for transferring technology from campuses to industry; public schools are making rapid advances; downtown revitalization will be abetted by a new James River canal walk opening this year; a full beltway loop has relatively low congestion; and Richmond offers minor league sports, amusement parks and nine Fortune 1000 companies.

Previous trips were to Austin, Texas; Nashville, Tenn.; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; and Portland.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/15425641.html

Edited by richyb83

Look at this super neat maps I found. :w00t:

"Shows positions in color of Confederate and Union defenses in the Battle of Baton Rouge on August 5, 1862"

batonrouge1862.jpg

"The territorial expansion of Baton Rouge accelerated in the post-World War II years as new suburbs pushed the city to the south and east. Cartography by Molly McGraw. Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Planning Commission."

subdivisionsmap.jpg

Edited by dan326