Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

When I think of Baton Rouge, I think of pretty much all of east baton rouge.

People ask me how big BR is, and I just tell them that it's about 400,000 people. If you vote for mayor/president, then you are in Baton Rouge....even if you live in Central or Zachary or Baker.

Edited by cajun

I meant to post this a while ago. There is a show on VH1 called "I Know My Kid's a Star" and one of the contestants is from Baton Rouge. They are doing well, in the final 4 of 10. What I really like though is the way they represents our city and Louisiana. They are smart, mild tempered, don't curse, and most importantly don't have a heavy "Southern" accent.

shannon_mckenzie_111x71.jpg

"Growing up, Shannon held the title of Little Miss Baton Rouge, Teen Miss Baton Rouge, Miss Baton Rouge, and Miss Louisiana 1993. She has very high hopes for her daughter, and isn't afraid to speak her mind."

Edited by dan326

• 2 weeks later...

Looky what I found! Baton Rouge original airport.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freema...BatonRouge.html

"The original airport for the town of Baton Rouge was located on the eastern side of the city.An article in the June 17, 1931 issue of the Baton Rouge State Times (courtesy of Carl Hennigan)described the dedication ceremonies of the newly constructed $150,000 Baton Rouge Airport.According to Carl Hennigan,

I really wish that the would have put a better picture than this. While the Nottoway Plantation is nice, most of the other sizable cities got skyline pictures. <_< I guess I can't complain too much, this house looks way nicer than some of the others. :D

" B.R. real estate market among nation

Edited by dan326

I really wish that the would have put a better picture than this. While the Nottoway Plantation is nice, most of the other sizable cities got skyline pictures. <_< I guess I can't complain too much, this house looks way nicer than some of the others. :D

" B.R. real estate market among nation

This is a neat idea. Make sure to read the Business Report article first. I just skimmed it and when I looked at the draft I thought they were creating propoganda to make Baton Rouge look like the perfect city.

CityStats project to hold final meeting

The third and final community meeting for the Baton Rouge CityStats project is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday at BREC headquarters on Florida Boulevard. The project, led by Ben Warner of Jacksonville Community Council Inc. and the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, seeks to define a vision for Baton Rouge and select indicators to measure the progress toward that vision. The indicators could be anything that reflects quality of life, from the murder rate to art gallery attendance. The first meeting, BRAF spokesman Mukul Verma said, was attended by about 100 people and was primarily an introduction to the process. The second, attended by more than 70, was about creating the vision and beginning to pick the indicators. Tuesday

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ya'll, I found something neat! According to the Baton Rouge Area Chamber our 2007 metro population is approximately 790,000. I sure hope so! They predict that by 2010, we'll have 809,000 people. That's so neat because it will mean we'll have gained over 200,000 people in 10 years. :D :D :D

Of course, it could only be 100,000 people. I see 700,000 and 600,000 as 2000 census numbers. Can anybody explain this? Did they add some parishes?

I meant to post this a while ago. There is a show on VH1 called "I Know My Kid's a Star" and one of the contestants is from Baton Rouge. They are doing well, in the final 4 of 10. What I really like though is the way they represents our city and Louisiana. They are smart, mild tempered, don't curse, and most importantly don't have a heavy "Southern" accent.

shannon_mckenzie_111x71.jpg

"Growing up, Shannon held the title of Little Miss Baton Rouge, Teen Miss Baton Rouge, Miss Baton Rouge, and Miss Louisiana 1993. She has very high hopes for her daughter, and isn't afraid to speak her mind."

Guess what ya'll, she won! It so so great to have a contest from Baton Rouge win this show. Maybe if she really becomes famous, it will bring some attention to the city. :)

http://blog.vh1.com/utag/series/i-know-my-kids-a-star/24128/

Hey ya'll, I found something neat! According to the Baton Rouge Area Chamber our 2007 metro population is approximately 790,000. I sure hope so! They predict that by 2010, we'll have 809,000 people. That's so neat because it will mean we'll have gained over 200,000 people in 10 years. :D :D :D

Of course, it could only be 100,000 people. I see 700,000 and 600,000 as 2000 census numbers. Can anybody explain this? Did they add some parishes?

Good question Dan :dontknow: Not sure if parishes were added or not?? No doubt the BR Metro Area has been growing steadily; even pre-Katrina. The rules seem to change on what exactly constiutes as "Metro"; MSA, etc.

I was watching the news yesterday at a local watering hole- I wasn't paying much attention until I saw a Fox News reporter with what appeared to be the I10 bridge in the background. I even saw someone jogging on the levee.

I realized that Baton Rouge had once again made the national news. They were talking about Presidential hopeful John McCain visiting town. There's talk of Bobby Jindal being his running mate. It looks like it's a pretty good chance now that someone from Baton Rouge can be on a major party ticket this fall.

Has anyone from Baton Rouge ever made it to the White House in the past? My grandparents used to tell me that populist Huey Long had a good chance before he was shot. This has to be good press for Baton Rouge, right? The only other person high up in politics from the Baton Rouge area that I can think of is James Carville, who was at one point hose of CNN's crossfire program. I think they named that military base after him in St. Gabriel. Not sure.....but this is probably a good topic to add to Baton Rouge's wiki page.

Good question Dan Not sure if parishes were added or not?? No doubt the BR Metro Area has been growing steadily; even pre-Katrina. The rules seem to change on what exactly constiutes as "Metro"; MSA, etc.

Pointe Coupee and Iberville are probably going to be added in 2010 if they are not already. What are the requirements? I was under the impression that this was a residential growth statistic. I can see a good 100,000 resident gain over the 2000-2010 span to the area.

I think with higher gas prices, people are going to think twice about living that far out and commuting....so maybe there won't be any additional parishes. The major growth that I see in the suburbs are in Livingston, Ascension, and West Baton Rouge. Central and Zachary are also growing but they are already "in" Baton Rouge as far as I am concerned.

This suburban growth is just going to make the loop even more necessary. I hope they are not thinking that they can put in the loop instead of widening I-10 through town...because the city needs both.

Edited by cajun

Has anyone from Baton Rouge ever made it to the White House in the past? My grandparents used to tell me that populist Huey Long had a good chance before he was shot. This has to be good press for Baton Rouge, right? The only other person high up in politics from the Baton Rouge area that I can think of is James Carville, who was at one point hose of CNN's crossfire program. I think they named that military base after him in St. Gabriel. Not sure.....but this is probably a good topic to add to Baton Rouge's wiki page.

Carville, LA, which is just south of St. Gabriel, is named after James Carville's grandfather.

I think with the high gas prices it is going to bring about a big shift in our growth. I think you are going to see alot more semi-dense to dense "infill" developments. You are right people are not going to want to commute that far... I think now would be a good time to start introducing a "park-n-ride" program from the burbs. I think the major corporations like Dow, Exxon, etc.... should do an employee shuttle for their employees that life out in the burbs.... :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Here was the special pull-out section in the Advocate Sunday paper on Sunday the 15th with plenty of info for the entire BR Metro Area:Top 10 Things to Know About EBR; BR's Adjusting Role as Center of Attention; Economy; Food; Parks; Crime; Festivals; Top Music Venues; Top 10 Things for Teens; Sports; Real Estate; Zachary, Livingston, Ascension, NOLA Style; etc...

WHERE WE LIVE

http://www.2theadvocate.com/specialsections/wherewelive

Here was the special pull-out section in the Advocate Sunday paper on Sunday the 15th with plenty of info for the entire BR Metro Area:Top 10 Things to Know About EBR; BR's Adjusting Role as Center of Attention; Economy; Food; Parks; Crime; Festivals; Top Music Venues; Top 10 Things for Teens; Sports; Real Estate; Zachary, Livingston, Ascension, NOLA Style; etc...

WHERE WE LIVE

http://www.2theadvocate.com/specialsections/wherewelive

Yeah I read this this morning. It was quite interesting. This really should be our "visitors guide". :shades:

• 1 month later...

I understand New Orleans is the "big dog", but how hard would it have been to put one extra camera icon over Baton Rouge. <_<

Google Street View comes to Baton Rouge

Now you can find out what's going on across Baton Rouge by staying in front of your computer. Google Street View, which features panoramic roadside views of the city, has been launched locally. The site displays images that were earlier shot by a camera mounted in a car.

maprp1.jpg

Edited by dan326

That's good stuff Dan :thumbsup: Technology just keeps getting better and better. I guess BR gets an icon when the CBD builds-up some more??

The blue areas make for an interesting urban growth pattern with contrast. See how compact NOLA is with Kenner/Metairie flanking it to the left and Westbank on bottom; and how BR sprawls with Central/Zachary(north);in Livingston to the East(Denham Springs, Walker, Watson). Ascension to the SE almost looks like an island(or spur) with Prarieville/Gonzales.

The build up of growing places along the Northshore of the I-12 Corridor with Slidell, Covington, Mandeville, Hammond. Then a gap in Livingston.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...