Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Exports significant part of Baton Rouge economy

Petrochemicals largest contributor

Exports accounted for a sizable share of the Baton Rouge economy in 2010, ranking the Capital Region at No. 2 out of the 100 largest metros mostly because of the area’s chemical sector, according to a study by the Brookings Institution.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2258245-125/exports-significant-part-of-baton.html

Exports’ share

of Metro GDP

1. Wichita, Kan. 20.4%

2. Baton Rouge 18.3%

3. Portland, Ore. 18.2%

4. San Jose, Calif. 18.0%

5. Greensboro, N.C. 17.3%

6. Indianapolis, Ind. 17.2%

7. Oxnard, Calif. 15.7%

8. Grand Rapids, Mich. 15.3%

9. Toledo, Ohio 15.0%

10. Youngstown, Ohio 15.0%

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BR Ranked #1 Metro's w/ pop. 200,000 to 1 million for # of projects w/ 38....followed by Tulsa & Dayton 34. Shreveport was tied for 9th 23...and Lake Charles ranked tied for 4th Metro's (pop. less than 200,000) w/ 9 projects.

Houston #1 in North America easily defeating #2 Chicago.... is flexing it's muscle among the World's Best

http://www.siteselec...ros-of-2011.cfm

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No...never tried it...that is cool they make it in town.

Urban farming....

Family’s yard houses chickens, bees, veggies, more

Chris Frink and Emily Taylor live in Goodwood Heights in a ’50s-style brick house on a 1.75-acre lot they call Urban Insanity Farm. They have two daughters, five dogs, a large chicken coop with 14 hens, four bee hives, 17 citrus trees, nine raised beds filled with vegetables, a selection of native plants, several large trees and an expansive lawn.

http://theadvocate.com/features/people/3140660-123/urban-farming

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/25/us/one-worker-killed-and-several-hurt-in-blast-at-louisiana-refinery.html

Does anyone remember the Christmas Eve 1989 explosion at Exxon in Baton Rouge?

My parents and I were visiting family in West Baton Rouge about 10 miles from the plant. My cousins and I were playing in the yard when it happened. That was my first time riding a horse....and my aunt had just taken me off the saddle when we heard (and saw) the explosion. It was massive.

My uncle worked at the plant. We were all crying until we found out he was already on his way home. We were sure Baton Rouge was leveled.

I know some homes and businesses in Baton Rouge were damaged. I read in college that the blast was nearly as powerful as the Hiroshima bomb.

Anyone remember this? Sorry if this was discussed on UP already. Didn't feel like searching through the old posts.

I was talking to my cousin earlier about one oil company's horrible safety culture (this particular one was based in London) and how the domestic industry made big changes after this that were not adopted by all firms- which contributed to the Texas City explosion and the Gulf oil spill.

Edited by cajun

Don't think it's ever been mentioned??

Oh yeah....remember that! Happened to be taking a nap...thought it was a giant clap of thunder at first...but said no way! If my memory serves me correctly we had Record-Breaking Low Temps around that time...8 DEGREES! Was this to blame for the explosion?? We lived about 12 miles away...

Edited by richyb83

True...the sun was out that day, and when the explosion happened, it was around 40 degrees

It was cooler than usual during the nights leading up to the accident, and I believe unexpectedly cold temperatures over the previous week was a contributing factor to a gas leak . A worker started a truck and the spark plugs pretty much ignited the air near the tunnel. At the time there was a tank farm to the east of the plant that went up.....it was a couple of hundred yards away (to get an idea of how large the explosion was). Apparently the gas settled in the tunnel area and the guy who drove the truck through it set it off.

It's hard to find info on it online....or a picture of the smoke plume. My mom has Polaroids of it. I was very young at the time, but I remember the initial blast produced a mushroom cloud.

I know people in Shenandoah that had wall mounted pictures fall to the floor. Massive initial explosion. There were secondary explosions as the nearby tank farm went up.

A few places in town had looting problems after the power went out. National guard was called out. Some skylights at Cortana Mall shattered.

This accident prompted Exxon to create the "green belt" east of Scenic HWY. If you were around, you'd have sworn half of Baton Rouge was wiped off the face of the earth. It was one of those experiences that I'll never forget. .

Edited by cajun

I wasn't even born. :shok:

But if it was near the power of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, surely more than 1 person would have been killed yea?

Any pics Cajun?

The plant was at idle for the cold weather. Only a few people were around that day.

Only Internet pics I've seen was a picture hours after the explosion with black smoke and the capital in the foreground d.

Thanks for the pic Antrel :shades: That's some nasty looking smoke!

It would be nice for the proposed Economic Bldg to finally one day go into it's place; instead of the bare concrete slab w/ underground parking...and the failed Capitol Lofts would have looked nice right next to it.

• Like 1

The ED building will not be going there anytime soon. If ever.

I wouldn't want apts there. What if they went downhill and got trashy over a few years. Wouldn't want that next to the capital.

Pretty sure condos were proposed for the site adjacent to that one (facing the park).

Edited by cajun

COMITE RIVER PARK

This park features up to 20 miles of unpaved trail perfect for biking and adventurous hikers. To have something of this scale in Baton Rouge is a blessing. After visiting this week for a bike ride I was so impressed I had to make a post about it. There are lots of hills, ramps, and fun on this trail. Come hydrated and bring lots of water.

Here is a map of the various trail routes throughout.

http://www2.coxservers.com:8181/images/Comite-trail-map-flyer.pdf

Edited by BRPJ