Baton Rouge City Profile

On 8/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, dan326 said:

Interesting. I wonder how St George's setup is coming along?

Delayed b/c of Covid officially.   Delayed for political reasons unofficially.

Regardless of how you feel about St. George.....it's hard to argue with a referendum of the people.   That's what legally happened when they elected to incorporate.    No do-overs just because the Parish President doesn't like the idea of another municipality in EBR.

It's my opinion that if the St. George tax base were so important to the city of Baton Rouge and that we are all truly "Together", they should have annexed the area decades ago and extended fire and other city services to the area.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scott: Next two years poised to be among brightest in B.R. history   The Baton Rouge metro area's economic outlook for the next two years is one of the brightest economist Loren Scott can remember o

I could see this, I was pre-approved for a  pretty decent loan. Baton Rouge ranked No. 7 among top 10 cities for first-time homebuyers    Baton Rouge is ranked No. 7 in the natio

Crazy to think the average depth of the lakes is only 2.5' ft. deep...glad something is being done!   Website for the LSU Lakes project:   http://www.batonrougelakes.org/  

Posted Images

Southern end of Baton Rouge, Central, Zachary, St. George biggest gainers in new census data

East Baton Rouge Parish grew by nearly 4% over the past decade — about middle of the pack for large urban parishes in Louisiana — but new census data show that the growth rate was not evenly shared in Louisiana's largest parish.

Population growth instead has been largely focused on the parish's southern half and outside Baton Rouge's city limits, with pockets of strong to sharp growth happening in two cities in the parish's northern end.

Indeed, the unincorporated parts of East Baton Rouge grew by 8.4%, while the city limits of Baton Rouge fell by just less than 1% between 2010 and 2020, new census data show.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_60e4995a-fc6e-11eb-8420-07d3aa76ca82.html

Zachary, St. George, Central, and the far southern part of EBR grew faster than the national population growth rate (which is about 7%).     Baton Rouge and the remaining portions of unincorporated EBR actually shrunk, so the overall growth rate was still around only 4%.  

Southern end of Baton Rouge, Central, Zachary, St. George biggest gainers  in new census data | News | theadvocate.com

The Baton Rouge metro population is up to 870,569...up by about 5.41%.   Well short of the 7% national growth rate, but better than most other metro areas in Louisiana.

Edited by cajun
  • 3 weeks later...

How is everyone doing after the storm? 

No issues with my family, although some of our folks have lost power.   I've also decided to spec out a 2700w liquid cooled generator for the house we are building.     

• Like 1

Those Generac's would be nice to have ; but my house is already built.   Not sure it's worth 10-15 K for me. 

Fortunate to be in the Western Eye-Wall and not the Eastern Eye-Wall....75-80mph wind gust in Millerville area (Airport 65 mph gust ...ten miles further way from the eye)

First we were without power for 22 hours (got  back on Monday evening 7:00 pm nice to sleep in AC for 19 hours)....then went OFF  2:00pm Tues  for 24  hours  (total of 46 hours ) came back on Wednesday 2:00  pm ...Weird

Sounds like you will have a very nice place.

Dan 326 and i posted in La.Weather thread ...next to Lafayette thread (big news for them)

Yes, a generator and cool is a beautiful thing... but that cost and upkeep is a killer. My power went out but came back Wednesday night, so I'm grateful or wasn't longer. A tree fell in my parents yard but it feel away from the house which was a blessing.

• 1 month later...

Glad everything worked out ok Dan 326. No doubt it could have  been worse in BR. Wonder if places like Houma; Galiano ; Leeville ; Grand Isle; etc will ever be the same? 

My bad not responding sooner.   Football websites have been side tracking me some.   Hoping more positive things are in store for BR .

Here's 3 things you need to know about the Baton Rouge economy through 2023

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_ae5f3e52-22d3-11ec-8e00-33061f23e6d6.html

The Baton Rouge metro area is forecasted to reach 415,300 jobs by the end of 2023, up from 393,400 jobs in 2021 as the region recovers from an economic downturn spurred by the coronavirus pandemic. 

By the end of the year, the Baton Rouge region is expected to recover 81% of the jobs lost during the economic downturn in 2020, according to the Louisiana Economic Outlook. 

BR.wilddowntown.adv HS 001.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/4/2021 at 12:29 AM, richyb83 said:

Those Generac's would be nice to have ; but my house is already built.   Not sure it's worth 10-15 K for me. 

Fortunate to be in the Western Eye-Wall and not the Eastern Eye-Wall....75-80mph wind gust in Millerville area (Airport 65 mph gust ...ten miles further way from the eye)

First we were without power for 22 hours (got  back on Monday evening 7:00 pm nice to sleep in AC for 19 hours)....then went OFF  2:00pm Tues  for 24  hours  (total of 46 hours ) came back on Wednesday 2:00  pm ...Weird

Sounds like you will have a very nice place.

Dan 326 and i posted in La.Weather thread ...next to Lafayette thread (big news for them)

It's easier to swallow if you can include it in the mortage when building new.  

Otherwise, a portable generator is probably more ideal if you can secure a solid supply of fuel (usually gas or diesel) with the assumption that you might not be able to get more of it for 5-6 days after the storm.