Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

On 5/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, richyb83 said:

Also after the Garth Brooks concert....(old news) College Drive was blocked off

https://www.wbrz.com/news/police-street-racer-showed-zero-regard-for-human-life-while-fleeing-officers-2-arrested-for-weekend-car-stunts

https://www.wbrz.com/news/street-racer-connected-to-college-drive-shutdown-after-garth-brooks-concert-arrested-sunday-morning

A7EHO3OYLNHTFB74P77JJ5IA3M.jpg

And for some more Underground Urban Planet

This whacko sicko goof ball.....Coursey / Cedarcrest

Police: Man tried to rape guard dogs after breaking into Baton Rouge business

https://www.wbrz.com/news/police-man-tried-to-rape-guard-dogs-after-breaking-into-baton-rouge-business

vJj_-DLs3BjvgtOReWK1KwIQRmXc4HgpzPE7xVVAc91wM9yThHRfrl91XKP_g9bPVLezeBiqo2D3I4I3nL2--CkLdlXyrc2sgAyeBCcnXfLGEBI4FcDLcakbrpRk94cqM

There is increasing evidence that we live in a clown world, where rules don't really apply and the general public wants nothing to do with logical thought.

Also FYI.   I learned today that you can still get plenty of gas in Baton Rouge for $1.89 at 3125 College Drive.    Just a PSA to our Urban Planet friends.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cajun said:

There is increasing evidence that we live in a clown world, where rules don't really apply and the general public wants nothing to do with logical thought.

Also FYI.   I learned today that you can still get plenty of gas in Baton Rouge for $1.89 at 3125 College Drive.    Just a PSA to our Urban Planet friends.

Where/what gas station???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CityStats: 70% of residents say EBR is headed in the wrong direction

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/564b4eabe4b0d6f83cf45269/t/63693fc91ed7ce3a9938044e/1667842004510/CityStats2022.pdf

https://www.businessreport.com/business/citystats-is-ebr-headed-in-the-wrong-direction-70-of-residents-say-yes

Select results from the CityStats poll:

Stay or Go?

• Fifty-two percent of EBR parents say they want their children to leave the parish, while 39% say it doesn’t matter where their children live as adults. Just 6% say they want their children to stay put.
  • Fifty-nine percent of all respondents say EBR children don’t have opportunities here to earn more than their parents.
  • Reversing the negative trend from 2020, 8,656 people moved into the parish last year. This was nearly 3,700 more than in 2017, the year with the next highest net migration. Most of the inmigration occurred from other parishes within Louisiana rather than from other states.

Government and Civic Engagement

• Seventy percent say the pace of progress is too slow, and 57% say the parish is going in the wrong direction, a record for the four years this indicator has been tracked.
  • Sixty-two percent say they have little or no influence over elected officials. The highest rate was 68% in 2020.
  • Sixty-one percent say they trust nonprofits to improve the quality of life here. The same percentage also trust businesses to make the parish better. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another weekend in the Dirty South....partially? blocking a Interstate will not end up well eventually.

Sometimes you can hear it late off I-12 too

WATCH: Street racers set fire to parking lot, shut down I-10 in Baton Rouge with overnight car stunts

https://www.wbrz.com/news/watch-street-racers-set-fire-to-parking-lot-shut-down-i-10-in-baton-rouge-with-overnight-car-stunts

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool WAFB weatherman Jay Grymes showed the new Mardi Gras lights on the South Chase Tower (BR's 3rd Tallest) on tonight's telecast!

IMG_3681.thumb.jpg.09701772da3a0104714e74a9ced993c4.jpg

Now if One American Place would only follow suit ; called DDD a while back they thought it was a good idea. But nothing yet. BR's 2nd Tallest is virtually invisible at night

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, richyb83 said:

A Sign of the Times ....not a good look sadly.

Yes it does send the message that this area is done with. It'd be nice if they just bulldozed vacant properties like the former apartments/gas station at Drusilla and Old Hammond. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 10:54 PM, richyb83 said:

If the state gets even half of what they are predicting, we are going to see economic growth that we haven't seen since 2010-2015.   

It's not realistic for north Louisiana to maintain two legislative seats.   The state gerrymandered their way into keeping 2 up north despite the population loss up there and the growth in south Louisiana - it's really weird that East Feliciana and northern St. Tammany are in the same district as Monroe (they had to borrow people from the northern Baton Rouge suburbs to keep that Monroe-bases seat).   

In 2030 it is going to be impossible to do that unless there's some kind of boom that happens in the Monroe area.    South Louisiana is the only reason the state is even posting positive gains - and I'm hoping that growth accelerates in 2025-2030.    We need to outpace the national average to attract the investment we really need.   We need more affordable housing and a bigger tax base to draw other investment.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 11:56 PM, richyb83 said:

Seeing this reminds me of how badly we need the Darlington reservoir to be built.   It would be a big recreational lake if we do it right - and that would draw tourism and investment to St. Helena and eastern portions of East Feliciana - both of which are currently struggling.

False River has helped the New Roads area despite Pointe Coupee having inconsistent performance with public schools and being a little farther outside of the Baton Rouge area (although they are technically in the metro now).   It's very common to see $1mm-$2mm houses there, and a lot of very successful small businesses.    Would be really nice to see something like that in Clinton, Bluff Creek, or the Greensburg area.   

Imagine being able to have full control over the Amite river level - dropping the level in the reservoir when you expect to have to retain extra fresh water for drinking or irrigation, increasing it when it's fairly dry and maintenance needs to occur on the Amite river banks.    Most importantly - flood control.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Found this Map of BR's 2 Fault Line's .......not sure of the exact accuracy ; Was not aware of the Northern one

But the Southern one is well known and  highly visible on the College Drive "Hill" a couple blocks North of  I-10;

also cut  across the old  Woodlawn middle school in SE BR Tiger Bend Rd/ Jones Creek Rd ;  cracks in the foundation (in the gym) began to compromising  the structure ; then prompting them to move the School to a new location next door; but they prolly should have moved it to a completely different area instead; because now the school is beginning to have cracks in the pluming/sewage system

There is a BREC Park walking trail at the old school location

https://www.brec.org/assets/Parks/Special-Use/WoodlawnWalkingTrail-map.jpg

IMG_5259.PNG.7da0d9b5dc3ed8c12c559578fdefdc20.PNG

Base map of southern Louisiana showing an oversimplified distribution of major fault trends with Cenozoic strata. The trend of the Tepetate-Baton Rouge-Denham Springs fault does not show the distribution of splays that have been suggested to exist within Lake Pontchartrain (5). Black arrow denotes the approximate location of the seismic image presented in Figure 2 in the vicinity of the Highway 11 Bridge as well as the photograph of Figure 3. LP = Lake Pontchartrain and LB = Lake Borgne, both of which are separated by the East New Orleans Land Bridge.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, richyb83 said:

Found this Map of BR's 2 Fault Line's .......not sure of the exact accuracy ; Was not aware of the Northern one

But the Southern one is well known and  highly visible on the College Drive "Hill" a couple blocks North of  I-10;

also cut  across the old  Woodlawn middle school in SE BR Tiger Bend Rd/ Jones Creek Rd ;  cracks in the foundation (in the gym) began to compromising  the structure ; then prompting them to move the School to a new location next door; but they prolly should have moved it to a completely different area instead; because now the school is beginning to have cracks in the pluming/sewage system

There is a BREC Park walking trail at the old school location

That's interesting. You usually only think of faults being in California but but I guess they're everywhere.

Where is the College Drive one? I'm sure I've seen it and it didn't register as a fault.