Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

• 2 weeks later...

Look at this. It reminiscent of what is going to happen with the Westmoreland Shopping Center on Governmanet Street.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...5426entry715426

It's "proposed a re-development of Arlington Market that will include 110 condominium units, 54 townhomes and about 40,000 square feet of retail space"

Also going to have 2 5-story buildings, just like us. :)

Edited by dan326

Thanks for the research there Dan :thumbsup: Nice comparisons. That will be good to see the Mid-City area continue it's strong comeback. BRCC still growing; Bonne Carre/La.Tech Park; New BREC HQ's; The Design District; North Blvd. R.R. Overpass; and other redevelopments all around. They even converted a old gas station into a Smoothie King. The Westmoreland Village is a key-component of all of this.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Te other day I wrote JR Ball Vice Pres.-Editorial from BRBusiness Report on Baton Rouge getting a new high-rise office "skyscraper". Saying BR seems to be "Vertically Challenged" when it comes to tall buildings. Here is his reply.

The simpliest answer is going vertical adds significant cost to a project... less expensive to go horizontal. As long as downtown demand remains where it is (not that high for housing and flat for office) there's no financial reason to build up.

Richard Preis is scaling back his project (including its height) because of escalating costs, not sagging demand from intial buyers. Mike Wampold cut the height of his planned office building (moving the parking garage to a separate structure on the property) due to soaring material costs.

Height is a by-product of huge demand and little land... neither of which applies to Baton Rouge at the moment.

JR Ball

*Looking around the U.S. there is not that much new office tower projects going -up. The demand is soft!

>>There are TOO MANY suburban garden offices going up in BR too; that doesn't help.

^That sucks. I really wanted to see some really tall building get build. If Richard Preis cut the height, then why are there more units than orginally proposed. I figured he did that so it could stay the same, and what about bidclerk? I guess we'll just have to wait until Asia builds something a mile high and 1000ft is the new norm.

How long ago did you send that question, because I sent a question and never got an answer.

BRBusinessReport had a small rendering of the new (redeveloped) 13-story 300-room Renaissance hotel on Bluebonnet Blvd; I am unable to find the rendering on a website.

Could you describe it? Was it sheathed in glass?

BR Business Report had an ad in it from Wampold Compaines, the name was just Bluebonnet Hotel, it was nothing fancy, but better than what is there now. No shine and blind for Bluebonnet. Just brick.

Edited by Louisiana Thunder

^That sucks. I really wanted to see some really tall building get build. If Richard Preis cut the height, then why are there more units than orginally proposed. I figured he did that so it could stay the same, and what about bidclerk? I guess we'll just have to wait until Asia builds something a mile high and 1000ft is the new norm.

How long ago did you send that question, because I sent a question and never got an answer.

It's what I had already been saying. I talked to the developer(Preis) and he said it's now 30-stories. I don't hold Bidclerk as accurate as I first thought when it comes to that; Another example; They also went with he original 9-story new Courthouse last week. It will be at least 10 stories. Don't understand why they are wrong??

The BusinessReport(pg.61) was part of new ad by Wampold with 3 pics... "Live"(Crescent @ Univ.Lake), "Work"(II City Plaza), "Play" Bluebonnet Hotel. Actually it looked more like large concrete slabs( kind of like Shreveport's new Hilton Convention Center hotel). It looks nice, the pic is just set far back. Looks like there could be large meeting space.

The Bluebonnet corridor is under-going a serious transformation with the 13-story hotel, Perkins Rowe,and The Boulevard. a Hopefully the connector road will begin soon.

Edited by richyb83

According to wikipedia, census recorded an increase of 19,264 people raising the population to approximately 243,361.

I saw on the news last week sometime, when they mentioned that number(closely), and kip holding ordered that the census bureau recount, becuse from his numbers" he says" the population increased well over 50,000 people due to katrina... SO it was said that the count would be rechecked, so that baton rouge could reap all the benefits needed for a 50,000 people increase rather than a rushed "19,000+..

so that would bump us up to around 274,000 give or take a couple thousand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was looking on google maps and is saw this mall in the Woodlands entitled "The Woodlands Mall" and thought it was similar to the Mall of Louisiana.I admit, I probably did go a little outline crazy and found some rather common things, but I just wanted to make sure ya'll saw it.

For one they have an outdoor expansionlike the Boulevard(pink). There is also a strip mall near it like the Bluebonnet Parc Ithink it's called(yellow). Stores in the front(green). By an interstate,overpass, and side roads (blue and green).

untitledfk2.png

I like the way you think Dan. You got an eye for development. The Woodlands Mall is configured similar to Mall of La. Though I like the Mall of LA. better.

What you have outlined in yellow(to the left) in the Woodlands is called Market Street; it's nicer than Bluebonnet Parc and more of a Perkins Rowe type development. Here is a pic I took of Market Street last Summer. It was a pretty cool place. I wish I had taken more pics. It has more of an old Main Street theme.

*Not shown; cinema, parking garage, grocery store, etc.

woodlandstx007fy9.jpg

woodlandstx006rl3.jpg

This is Anadarko Tower; easily The Woodlands Tallest Building at 32-stories and 430'ft. & tallest between Houston and Dallas

woodlandstx005yl4.jpg

This high-rise would look great in downtown BR :camera:

I like the way you think Dan. You got an eye for development.

Thanks. Speaking of developments, I was riding down Florida Boulevard, and the whole way is was looking at vacant lots and thinking that would be a neat place for some 3-4 story condos/apartments or Florida style strip mall. Actually I had seriouly considered being a developer at one time, but I no much of a public speaker.

:offtopic: The funny thing is that since I knew about it is was going to be a veterinarian,until about a few monts ago I lost interest. Now I'm considering something in architecture, linguistics, or a medical career. So what do ya'll think. I like to get opinions :) :)

Edited by dan326

Wow Dan, that's some good choices. You are really well rounded!!! :thumbsup: What grade will you been in??

Next year I'll be a junior in high school. :D

I know you like the emicons.

That's why I picked a pikachu for my avatar. I think it really imbodies the emoticon spirit. :D

You what I think would be a neat idea was if they took the vintage Broadmoor Theater sign and use it for an oldstyle downtown theater on 3rd street. :)

Edited by dan326

About the Baton Rouge parish/city government disputing the Census population stats...yea, welcome to the club. Orleans Parish and Ray Nagin say the same thing, along with Jefferson Parish, Saint Tammany Parish, and Saint Bernard Parish. In this post-Katrina world we live in, I trust local demographers more than the Census, especially in New Orleans, because of the methods they use to determine population. The Census uses normal methods, and "normal" just isn't accurate right now.

I heard from somewhere that the population figures for the region won't become accurate til the 2010 census???

That's correct, Richy; especially in the parishes that sustained the most damage from Katrina. For the next three years, we'll be stuck with these hit or miss "estimates" that will be disputed every time they're released.