Dollywood In Ashland City?

smeagolsfree

:w00t: I read this with interest, I hope the link works but if not there is a link from the Tennessean. The rumor mill here says The Dollywood people are interested in a 500 acre plus plot of land right off Hwy. 12 just before it turns back in to a two lane rd. close to the river. The land is owned by Louise Mandrell. Its just a rumor but of not I guess we will take.

http://www.ashlandcitytimes.com/apps/pbcs....032/1296/MTCN01

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the misguided and downright stupid closing of Opryland--for a mall???--this can only be good news if it comes to fruition.

Her Highness Ms. Parton is a canny business lady and only invests in what she thinks will work. And everything she lends her name to seems to do just fine. :)

And as canny businesspeople do, they keep their mouths shut. I agree that Cheatham County would be a beautiful spot for a park, its hills, the river (which is experiencing expensive condo interest at the moment), the relative ease of access and proximity to downtown Nashville and lots of accessible lodging makes it a viable choice.

I would much rather see a Dollywood here than a Six Flags or other generic non- or quasi- thematic operation. If we're going to keep this international reputation as a great place to get entertained and exercise our hard-earned moniker of Music City, well, let's get on with it. And let's suck as much cash from something like this as is possible. It's all about the bucks, and this would be a fiscal goldmine.

That is why the folks in the know are saying it is a rumor. If the rumor turns out to be true, it would be great. Highway 12 was 4 laned with a turn lane about 4 years ago, and there is not really a lot of traffic on this road. The land that is rumored is only about three miles outside of Davidson county and that would spur a lot of growth on the northwest end of Davidson.

I think it would be great if this happened. I think it's kind of weird another Dollywood would be built somewhat close to the original, but it would certainly help Nashville tourism and provide many jobs.

Dolly and the Herschends also bought some land down in Florida near Orlando, though they haven't announced what they will be doing with it yet.

Nah its not rally all that close. The current Dollywood is over in that other Grand Divison ;). LOL

No actually witht he proposed/remored site being on the west side of Nashville it would draw well as a base from Nashville, Western TN, Western KY, and northern AL/MS, which IMO is a great location. It takes a long time to get from Paducah (KY) or Memphis to Sevierville, Ashland City would give alot of folks a great local option to visit frequently, instead of once a year.

A theme park would be great for the Nashville area and that would be a great location. I'm not holding my breath for this one though. I've been in Nashville visiting for a weeks and my parents live in northwest Nashville near Cheatham County. I've been roaming around a lot. I know that area is reported to be too rocky to build but I did notice the addition of several subdivisions heading out towards Cheatham County.

There's also plenty of nice valleys between those hills that I'm quite sure could be used for housing. A theme park in Cheatham County would greatly help that area of Davidson County finally take off.

I can't see Dolly taking a chance that a new park would cannibalize her hugely successful park in P.F.

Of course, I've heard for several years now that Disney is quietly buying up land in East Davidson/West Wilson for a "music themed" park. It sure would be an interesting thumb in Gaylord's eye (for closing down O'Land). I just loved going to that park when I visited my grandparents in the 70s.

I would have much rather seen the new theme park downtown on the stiener liff property. I think it would have been huge for tourism, plus there is a huge parking lot there that only gets used 8 days a year. But since this idea has already been written I would settle for a park on the outskirts. I just think the idea of having a park downtown is awesome.

Archived