High Five Interchange I-635/US75

The most expensive project in north texas history the "High Five" interchange is set to be complete way ahead of schedule around september all ramps will be open except HOV lanes. The interchange is set to be the most amazing in the country and a landmark for dallas. I went by the thing recently and since last year when i moved here haved been amazed by it and still am. The highest pillar is 110 feet tall and the colors are great i think this will be the greatest interchange ever built.

Before:

beforeHighFive2.jpg

After:

HighFive.jpg

HighFive2.jpg

This site has the facts etc about it http://dallashighfive.org/progress/construction_progress.stm

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Project Pegasus is a project to reinvent/rebuild.improve the Dallas MixMaster. 

Follow this link to learn more about the project.

Project Pegaus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the link, great pictures on that website. Looks like it would class up these freeways similar to the way North Central looks now. I'm glad they're fixing that mess.

• 3 months later...

Crews are expected to remove the final barriers early Sunday marking the unofficial completion of the High Five. Work began in summer 2001 and will be finished about a year ahead of schedule.

When work began, the High Five was the most expensive contract ever awarded in Texas.

At its busiest point, about 500 workers converged on the High Five at one time

• 2 weeks later...

^The High Five is different (and getting so much publicity) for a few reasons:

a.) Its a five level interchange. Most of the largest are really 4 level interchanges(2 levels of crossing freeway + 2 levels of flyovers). The High Five has a complete frontage road complex that creates a whole level. For those familiar with Dallas, its a more elaborate version of the DNT@ LBJ elevated intersections. The High Five version has more cross streets connected to it.

b.) The HOV factor. There are actual ramps for the HOV on LBJ and in the future of NCX north of LBJ. It has created very interesting complexes within the interchange.

c.) Size. For those that haven't seen it in person, its not just tall and complex. Its massive. The ramp length on the east side of the interchange is incredible. Its almost comparable to a larger version of the double deck section of I-35 in Austin. That's how long the east side ramps are. And they are very complex in how they connect to the various cross streets. Definitely unlike any interchange around. This is due to the fact that the center of the interchange is much lower in elevation as well as crossing over 3 deep creeks.

The interesting news is that the I-635@I-35E interchange will be comparable in size and complexity. Supposedly it will have a full 4 way HOV complex of flyovers. It doesn't have tunnel entrances to worry about though.

If you want to see a Central Expressway style freeway upgrade, cross the Trinity on I-30. The section through Oak Cliff is super nice, complete with Tom Landry hats(Tom Landry Expressway) and leaf shapes into the retaining walls. I think it looks better than Central Expressway. Its just not as long and doesn't have the plants. Its the first part of Project Pegasus. The next phase breaks ground tomorrow: The Woodall Rodgers extension, which will feature the 40-story, Margaret Hunt-Hill bridge designed by Santiage Calatrava. So, yes, the bridges are real.

The interesting news is that the I-635@I-35E interchange will be comparable in size and complexity. Supposedly it will have a full 4 way HOV complex of flyovers. It doesn't have tunnel entrances to worry about though.

Haven't seen anything about a 4-way HOV complex planned for that interchange, but I have read in the Dallas Morning News that when the 35/635 interchange gets reconstructed, there will be direct-connector ramps from that interchange all the way down to the Loop 12/I-35 split. I think that's a distance of 2-3 miles or so--much longer than the eastern ramps on the High Five! They sure know how to dream up of some massive road projects here in Texas!

Just want to let you guys over here know that Dallas has some of the most appealing interstates in the country. They really do a good job designing them and painting the individual columns just for starters. Great looking stuff down there fellas. You should be proud.

• 2 weeks later...

With completion of the High 5 Interchange, it should alleviate the Dallas traffic jams, allowing residents to take alternate routes and still be able to get downtown for their jobs.

Even though the new interchange will help somewhat with traffic flow in that area of Dallas, we still have significant backups in that area almost every day, especially during rush hour (believe me; I drive through that area quite a bit). There have been quite a few occasions where I've seen absolute gridlock on the direct connection ramps...it's quite a sight to behold.

No interchange improvements, road widenings, or other road construction projects will ever completely alleviate traffic jams...not to say that these projects aren't needed. The new interchange is definitely a better setup than what was there before. :thumbsup:

Archived