Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raintree21

Myrtle Beach looking to beef up security

Myrtle Beach looking to beef up security

Myrtle Beach Mayor Mark McBride says he wants to spend $2 million to hire more law enforcement officers during two major tourism events along the Grand Strand.

The project, which McBride has dubbed "Operation: Enough is Enough," would put more officers on the streets during bike festivals in May and during a week in June when hundreds of high school seniors visit the beach.

This is an example of a Yankee mayor trying to get re-elected who has had his own problems with nepotism and corruption. He is trying to use this issue to deflect criticism away from his own record. If he really wanted to do something about this issue, he would have a better plan than this.

Somehow I doubt that the crime associated with these events is limited to his term in office. What else shoulh or could be done? I know that many businesses close during the black biker week becuase the crime can be worse then.

I guess I should have said this has been a problem the entire time he was in office and he did nothing about it. Now he is suggesting a solution for it when the event wont ever occur again until 7 months after the next election.

*BUMP*

I'm in the Myrtle Beach area with work, and channel 15 news here has just reported that the city of Myrtle Beach is no longer welcoming the May motorcycle events. The Convention Center has been directed to cancel all contracts related to any motorcycle events. Broadway at the Beach is doing the same. Horry County has said they will pass resolutions covering the county that mirror and support Myrtle Beach's movements. Will this completely end Bike Week? Doubtful for the next few years, but with the lack of city support, it'll probably move elsewhere..

Here is a link to the news story I referenced last night. It also mentions the Atlantic Beach rally, but not if Myrtle's actions will have any effect. According to this report, Myrtle Beach is going to 'talk' with Harley Davidson and ask them to move their Rally. The city has actually approved a property tax increase just to combat these rallies.

Myrtle Beach just announced that they are raising property taxes in an effort to compensate for lost revenue due to cancelling the biker rallies. They want to promote May as Family Month instead of having the Biker Rallies.

LOL this is going to be a interesting transition process. I will enjoy seeing how it goes next month. I assume that the biker weeks had a negative connotation in the the M B area.

LOL this is going to be a interesting transition process. I will enjoy seeing how it goes next month. I assume that the biker weeks had a negative connotation in the the M B area.

My mom summed it up this way. She said that she never wanted to go to a grocery store again to stand in line behind a 400 pound jello butt biker chick in a thong.

I wonder how much business is lost from "normal tourists" who stay away from Myrtle Beach because of the biker weeks. I'm sure the loss of business will quickly be replaced by families coming back for a normal vacation.