New Orleans and River Road.

darwinism

We visited New Orleans last weekend. The first thing we did was to visit the plantation houses on River Road. We made a few quick stops to see the Houmas House, Oak Alley, Laura, Evergreen and San Francisco.

We then spent the night in a hotel within the French Quarter. Our late dinner at Deanie's Seafood was absolutely awesome. For under $20, we had a huge platter of shrimp, catfish and oyster, plus 2 drinks. Great value for delicious food.

We also visited St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square and so on. The morning walk along the French Quarter streets can be quite a daunting task due to the foul smell of beer, urine, vomit and etc. particularly near Bourbon Street.

The streetcar ride along the St. Charles route was a delighful experience as well. All in all, we have certainly enjoyed our trip to New Orleans, LA.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you had a nice time. Where do you live? As far as Bourbon Street and the morning smells, you quickly learned why many locals avoid that street. With that said, Bourbon Street has been there since this city was founded and has always been a hard party street, so, it goes without saying that we understand that Bourbon Street is a place that many visitors enjoy seeing and experiencing. And locals experience it from time to time, but, it can be a bit much, to be quite honest. Nice to see you took a streetcar ride. You got to see "where we live." I live one house off of the avenue and hear that streetcar pass every half hour or so (when I'm home). I enjoy the sound of the streetcar passing...

We visited New Orleans last weekend. The first thing we did was to visit the plantation houses on River Road. We made a few quick stops to see the Houmas House, Oak Alley, Laura, Evergreen and San Francisco.

We then spent the night in a hotel within the French Quarter. Our late dinner at Deanie's Seafood was absolutely awesome. For under $20, we had a huge platter of shrimp, catfish and oyster, plus 2 drinks. Great value for delicious food.

We also visited St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square and so on. The morning walk along the French Quarter streets can be quite a daunting task due to the foul smell of beer, urine, vomit and etc. particularly near Bourbon Street.

The streetcar ride along the St. Charles route was a delighful experience as well. All in all, we have certainly enjoyed our trip to New Orleans, LA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you enjoyed your trip darwinism!

Yea, the smell in the French Quarter in the morning can be VERY bad, but you just get used to it after a while, its worse on some days then others.(walk around the French Quarter on the morning of ash wenesday...now thats BAD)

Also glad to hear you liked the streetcar ride, the St. Charles Ave. streetcar is one thing that I really love about New Orleans, you can really see the true beauty and history of the city just by riding on that streetcar..

Hope you come down again sometime soon, N.O. will look very different in early-mid 2006, that is when the Canal Street renovation, Street Scape plan, and the "beautifying" of many areas around New Orleans are scheduled to be finished.

Glad you had a nice time.  Where do you live?  As far as Bourbon Street and the morning smells, you quickly learned why many locals avoid that street.  With that said, Bourbon Street has been there since this city was founded and has always been a hard party street, so, it goes without saying that we understand that Bourbon Street is a place that many visitors enjoy seeing and experiencing.  And locals experience it from time to time, but, it can be a bit much, to be quite honest.  Nice to see you took a streetcar ride.  You got to see "where we live."  I live one house off of the avenue and hear that streetcar pass every half hour or so (when I'm home).  I enjoy the sound of the streetcar passing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We live north of Detroit, Michigan. The houses along the St. Charles streetcar path are definitely the jewels of the city of New Orleans.

Glad you enjoyed your trip darwinism!

Yea, the smell in the French Quarter in the morning can be VERY bad, but you just get used to it after a while, its worse on some days then others.(walk around the French Quarter on the morning of ash wenesday...now thats BAD)

Also glad to hear you liked the streetcar ride, the St. Charles Ave. streetcar is one thing that I really love about New Orleans, you can really see the true beauty and history of the city just by riding on that streetcar..

Hope you come down again sometime soon, N.O. will look very different in early-mid 2006, that is when the Canal Street renovation, Street Scape plan, and the "beautifying" of many areas around New Orleans are scheduled to be finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...two years ago I walked straight down Bourbon Street on Lundi Gras and I was on antibiotics and was cold sober. MAN...as soon as I entered Bourbon off of Canal St. the smell was just atrocious. It was so powerful of beer and just human body. I almost got sick. When you are drunk and in a crowd it is one thing, but, walking down Bourbon Street drinking a diet coke in the middle of Mardi Gras is another story....wow, you could tell that intense partying had occurred the night before for the Bacchus parade!!!

LOL...two years ago I walked straight down Bourbon Street on Lundi Gras and I was on antibiotics and was cold sober.  MAN...as soon as I entered Bourbon off of Canal St. the smell was just atrocious.  It was so powerful of beer and just human body.  I almost got sick.  When you are drunk and in a crowd it is one thing, but, walking down Bourbon Street drinking a diet coke in the middle of Mardi Gras is another story....wow, you could tell that intense partying had occurred the night before for the Bacchus parade!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL..I think that is something every New Orleanian has encountered...Bourbon St. on Lundi Gras Morning :w00t:

We live north of Detroit, Michigan. The houses along the St. Charles streetcar path are definitely the jewels of the city of New Orleans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow...Thats a long trip, but im glad you enjoyed what New Orleans has to offer.

Those houses are certainly a jewel of New Orleans, and it doesnt smell like vomit and beer over there either :D

Archived