Vulcan Park

darwinism

My family and I stopped in Birmingham, Alabama, along our roadtrip. We stayed in a hotel outside the city around the Cahaba Commons area by I-459 and 280.

This is an absolutely beautiful city with a lot of hills and valleys. The feeling of serenity and greenery blanketed our memories. We also tried to visit the Mercedes Benz factory tour, but unfortunately it had been discontinued. That was a bummer. We went on forward into town to see the Arlington Antebellum Home and Gardens. Then, we went up to Vulcan Park to spend the afternoon.

The people of Birmingham and the city have done a terrific job supporting an iconic structure such as the Vulcan statue. The view was breath-taking and the museum/park were also wonderful as well. Providing a free Wi-Fi hotspot at Vulcan Park is also a brilliant idea. Working professionals as well as families can feel comfortable enjoying the calming atmosphere while still be connected whenever necessary.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you had a nice visit to Birmingham. We do love our green hills, and, fortunately, we continue to protect them. (Ruffner Mountain Preserve and the newly proposed Red Mountain Park, both of which are larger than Central Park in NYC)

I didn't realize that Mercedes has suspended factory tours during their current expansion. (here's the press release). Hopefully you'll be able to do that on a future trip. Before long, Sloss Furnace should have a fantastic new visitor's center like Vulcan's, so I recommend putting that on your itenerary.

Archived