Philadelphia wins a championship

PghUSA

Second story down:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05217/549006.stm

It does only cover one election cycle (2004 Presidential/local elections), but it's kind of shocking to me as a Pennsylvanian, I thought Seattle (from the vote fraud with the Governor's race out there in '04 or was that '05?) and Chicago owned that title. I remember hearing some grumblings from minorities and some Republicans on the voter access in 2004 in Philly, but I didn't realize it was that bad. To the "easterners" on this board, this study have some legit points or is it just a bogus hack job? Interested in hearing your opinions on it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a registered Democrat I am sure there is voter fraud in Philadelphia. I have never experienced it and I have crossed over and voted for Katz (Republican) in both of his failed elections for mayor. One of my best friends is a Republican committee person for CC and he says it is almost impossible for a Republican to win in Philly and the national comittee hates that.

Anyway, even if we are #1 or #21...voter fraud or intimidation should never be tolerated!!!

But for some lucky reason even though we have a corupt mayor "America's Worst" by Time magazine, #1 voter fraud, fatest city, most depressed...this city is booming big time.

I think that somehow we have reached the point where "We Just Don't Care" what anybody says. I know, I don't! My sister is in this weekend...I called 5 restaurants in old city to get a reservation a week ago and I couldn't get into one place I wanted before 9:30pm.

West Elm the modern furniture store from Williams Sonomo is opening a 40,000 sq. ft. showroom, Lucky Strikes the LA based club/bowling alley is building a $6 million dollar 3 floor bowling lounge with roof deck next to the Olive Garden, Mitchell-Gold is building only their 5th free standing showroom at 1308 Chestnut, House of Blues is spending $11 million to convert the Packard Building all this on only 3 blocks of Chestnut Street.

Yes stamp out the fraud, but Philadelphians realize that we are bigger than our idiot elected officials and we , not they, control Philadelphia's future. This city belongs to me and anyone else who is lucky enough to visit, live, work or play here.

Be advised, the ACVR is a very controversial group, most likely it is a GOP front group perpetrating a scam akin to the Swift Boaters. There's been a ton of stuff about it floating on the 'net long before this report even came out. Their particular press release is being refuted on just about every blog I've seen. Here's just a couple.

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=5142

http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1123042430.shtml

http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00001653.htm

Reading some of the wording from their press release, it starts out by saying (paraphrased) "Both parties have been found to commit voter fraud." then "But Democrats are worse," cites someone's tires that got slashed in one city, then goes on to list the worst voter-fraud offending cities. Hillarious that they only ranked cities, considering that urban centers are hardly a bastion of Republican power. Doesn't talk about Ohio, Florida, etc. Just petty stuff that supposedly some Democrat or another did, and concludes "voter intimidation by Democrats was much worse." It says that they sent out letters to Democratic senators, governors, and mayors warning them to shape up their party. No mention of Republicans. Only Republicans mentioned in this whole thing are the names of the authors, this entire group is appearantly made up of only Republicans. I wholeheartedly agree that this whole thing is a complete scam.

-blue black cat

But for some lucky reason even though we have a corupt mayor "America's Worst" by Time magazine, #1 voter fraud, fatest city, most depressed...this city is booming big time. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you ever notice how these ratings are carried out? Philadelphia is America's fattest city based on the number of pizza shops per capita and the number of health clubs per capita. Ok I don't like Philly that much so I moved to Pittsburgh, but it's that's just plain bs that doesn't say anything about anything. Incidentally, I routinely miss having a good slice of pizza or a real cheeze steak around here. I have a membership at Bally's and who cares whatever the per-capita health club ratio is because even the chains like Bally's are much better equipped in Philly than in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh only has the Pete' on Pitt's campus that pretty much blows everything else out of the water, but that's just one gym.

Another thing, I heard Philadelphia has the best female-to-male ratio in the US (something like 2-1 for singles). (sorry ladies, go to San Diego where it's 1-2, that place scared me to death when I saw better men than me walking around 4 abreast with women who had no right being with a man). Philly sucks in the suburbs as all other suburbs anywhere suck and I coudln't have afforded to live closer to Center City, so I picked Pittsburgh. But meeting really nice women in Philly is just so much easier than anywhere. And that doesn't depress me. I don't hear about that, though. Only the "bad" stuff... ie bad statistics, ever gets pointed out.

I just think this whole thing is collectively being rigged.

-blue black cat

Archived