Skyways Over Tryon

ilektronik

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha... yeah... im surprised u missed it the first 800 times it was mentioned ;)

you guys are really hard on the overstreet mall. Just because you can't see the foot traffic, doesn't mean the mall is a failure.

Everytime I have been in it it is packed, and that says a lot. It keeps us from sweating. The reason it took so long for a lot of the south from getting skyscrapers is for the invdention of air conditioning. This is the reason a lot of the south doesn't have pedestrian foot traffic outdoors... umm.... DUH! just because you can't see the foot traffic doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is thriving. I haven't seen many vacancies in the overstreet mall, have you? i'm surprised at the amount of people on here that dont really get the big picture on a lot of things. atleast the banks do.

Just because you can't see the foot traffic, doesn't mean the mall is a failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall is not a failure that is the point. It's success has sucked the life and retail off the streets of Charlotte for decades and is one of the reasons that you can go downtown at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon and the place is completely void of people.

Imagine London and NYC with a bunch of skywalks and no stores at street level.

haha... yeah... im surprised u missed it the first 800 times it was mentioned ;)

you guys are really hard on the overstreet mall. Just because you can't see the foot traffic, doesn't mean the mall is a failure.

Everytime I have been in it it is packed, and that says a lot. It keeps us from sweating. The reason it took so long for a lot of the south from getting skyscrapers is for the invdention of air conditioning. This is the reason a lot of the south doesn't have pedestrian foot traffic outdoors... umm.... DUH! just because you can't see the foot traffic doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It is thriving. I haven't seen many vacancies in the overstreet mall, have you? i'm surprised at the amount of people on here that dont really get the big picture on a lot of things. atleast the banks do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall is a success - and I use it every day. But, it goes a long way to hurt the impression Charlotte has on visitors. Without street level retail, the city simply looks dead.

It has long been my beief - that if the Overstreet and Founders Hall were street level, instead of inside - the city would have more people walking around during the day and even after work. This would encourage these retailers to stay open later, making the city seem more lively, encouraging more people to come visit / move here, making it grow.

With everything inside, the city seems dead, and there's nothing open on the weekends.

the traffic lights at trade and tryon are awesome!

i love to walk by there at lunch time and 'people-watch'. its best in the summer :D

The light is pretty quick at lunchtime and its not like i'm powerwalking or anything.

my point being that any kind of secondary accessways over the street, whether they be covered or open will create a boundary between them and the already sparse streets of downtown charlotte.

the steet is a big mixing bowl that i immensly enjoy participating in.

the overstreet mall also sucks out the populace that could otherwise be in the streets. I do use it sometimes on my walk from the Y to my home in 4th wd. in the winter but i realise that i'm not in the wintry NE and could easily do without it.

the traffic lights at trade and tryon are awesome!

i love to walk by there at lunch time and 'people-watch'.  its best in the summer  :D

The light is pretty quick at lunchtime and its not like i'm powerwalking or anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try Tryon and 2nd, you'll change your tune

why aren't there any? It is such a hassle crossing Tryon everyday at lunch to head over the the Atrium.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have time to wait two minutes for a light to change on Tryon? It's not like you are trying to cross I-85 here.

Worked uptown for 5 years and not once did I have to just "sit around" and wait for a light to change and be incovienced. When was the last time you saw a raised walkway in NYC crossing 6+ lanes? None that I know of. That damn overhead mall has screwed up street level stores that will take decades to change.

You don't have time to wait two minutes for a light to change on Tryon?  It's not like you are trying to cross I-85 here. 

Worked uptown for 5 years and not once did I have to just "sit around" and wait for a light to change and be incovienced.  When was the last time you saw a raised walkway in NYC crossing 6+ lanes?  None that I know of.  That damn overhead mall has screwed up street level stores that will take decades to change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when i was working in NYC i never had a reason to cross a street. there was always something on the same block where i would work. if you work on south tryon you only have latta arcade or the atrium

• 4 months later...

Archived