Why are cities more liberal?

Certainly not, but we project value onto money, and that money projects value onto ourselves. You are therefore one tenth as necessary as your neighbor. Because of that, you deserve worse food, less recreation, less healthcare, possibly less say in community matters, a worse residence, and the degree of all these things should be subject to the whim of your supuriors. Now, if you really are worth that little to society; and you have no potential for growth, perhaps you're getting just deserves. That matter is relatively subjective, and not knowing what you do, I can't judge one way or another.

--

Until your ideal version of a safety net becomes established, what should we do to the government services? Underfund them because we hate them so?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must confess that can't make head or tail of your first paragraph, unless you mean to decry the emphasis on monetary value, or material wealth, in which case we'd agree.

And I'm afraid I can't offer an 'ideal safety net'. I will argue that our modern approach to actual poverty has become less and less ideal in that we are less discerning about who shall receive, and under what circumstances, and with what stipulations. But then that's one of the problems with welfare.

And I suppose this is as good a time as any to clarify that it is by no means necessary to posit an alternative to welfare, which is as complex and farreaching as is the present system, in order to criticize the system. This is especially the case because welfare has been a disaster - worse than never having had it.

That said, thoughtful critics of welfare will acknowledge that if it were abolished, that such should occur gradually, and that some will be freed from the system more easily than others.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tallahassee has a Democrat dominated Commission also. I know this community historically votes 2 to 1 in favor of Democrats but I haven't really stopped to ask why. It would seem those who choose to live in the city and take advantage of municipal services and pay the taxes would allign themselves with the more liberal minded groups of obvious reasons. Take people out of the city, and they don't have to pay the money to keep the streets paved, and clean, or the schools open, or the fire stations running yet they often benifit from these services in times of emergency or when its time to shop. Not sure if they are smarter than city dwellers, or purely tight with funds.

Archived