Theme park PROPOSED in Miami by REAL MADRID

MADRID, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Real Madrid plan to construct branded theme parks in Miami and Beijing as part of a strategy to expand and develop marketing opportunities across the globe.

"We are in negotiations with the mayors of Miami and Beijing to create two theme parks," Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was quoted as saying in Spanish sports daily AS.

AS reported that the club is aiming to have all three parks in place by 2008.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...-09_L05167835:1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be interesting to see what "theme" a Soccer organization is going to use for this park. IMO, this sounds too speculative at the moment to take entirely seriously. However, whatever they decide to build will hopefully "fit" for Miami. Maybe this park will be built near the MetroZoo's planned expansion???

This is interesting... A bit bizarre to see this type of an organization venture into theme parks. But then look at a conglomerate like Virgin that has an airline and media business.

I'm curious where they'd put it too... If central and easily accessible are what they are looking for, my guess is that it could be built someplace out by Doral and the Turnpike. That's relatively easily accessible to Broward and Palm Beach visitors as well... plus it's super easy to get to from MIA.

Here's some interesting info I found...

Inspired by Disney, here's how the "theme" would compare:

The Disney logo will be replaced by the Real one and instead of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto or Bambi, there will be Robinho, Ronaldo, David Beckham or Zinedine Zidane, according to the club.
Apart from the usual rollercoasters and theme rides, the parks will also attempt to portray the club's 103-year-old history. It his hoped to have the Real Madrid Park in Beijing up and running in time for the 2008 Olympics there.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&cl...23235821842S163

Finally, some roller coasters down there! If this pulls through, of course.

Currently South Florida's only permanent roller coaster is the Dania Beach Hurricane, a wooden coaster located at Boomers. You can see it off of I-95 between Griffin and Stirling Roads. Otherwise you have to wait until March for the Miami-Dade County Fair and Expo or head up to Tampa or Orlando. When they were building Dolphin Mall a few years ago, they had grandiose plans of making it a mini-theme park, with roller coasters and other stuff. Then the mall got scaled back and none of that stuff happened.

I think thats marvelous,not only cause they recognized us as a significant city and also because there is always some good stuff.New attractions and a better reputation for Miami,thats  a nice thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How will a theme park based on soccer players improve Miami's reputation? If anything, it'll just make Miami a laughing stock among theme park fans. I mean honestly, who here really cares at all about soccer? As if it wasn't a kooky idea to begin with, there's no fanbase in America.

How will a theme park based on soccer players improve Miami's reputation? If anything, it'll just make Miami a laughing stock among theme park fans. I mean honestly, who here really cares at all about soccer? As if it wasn't a kooky idea to begin with, there's no fanbase in America.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are in the Americas, which makes up a significant amount of Miami's tourist base. Outside of the United States, soccer is the premi

Sorry to ruin everyones party, but an article in the Herald's Sunday Sports section claims that "theme park" is a bad translation for what they want to build. They're looking at something more like a youth soccer academey. It would still be a tourist attraction no doubt to soccer/futbol fans throughout the Americas. It won't be a theme park but this may still be very very good for Miami. There's also talks of Real Madrid playing a exihibition game in the Orange Bowl next year and the possibility of the MLS returning with a team playing there.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12323245.htm

FLA, you don't think there's a strong fan base for soccer in Miami? The soccer parks here are packed all the time. Here in Kendall we have two new lighted fields with astro turf and I am yet to drive by at any time (day or night) that there aren't games going on. Many times there are a bunch of teams waiting for the current game to finish in order for their game to start. These aren't kids leagues either; they're adults.

Even though the large majority of Cubans could care less about soccer, Cubans aren't the only Hispanics in South Florida...remember, Miami is a quasi-Latin American city and soccer/futbol is life to some of its residents.

Archived