Retail you would like to see in Downtown Richmond

Downtowner

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see something in the berry burke building and GRace st full of restaurants, shops, and apartments on upper floors. I can't name names but I just love to see retail there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, coupe. And in all those other vacant stores along Grace, too! :lol:

I could go with that but it would have to be very urban. No sprawling parking lot like they pulled on us for that freakin Lowe's on broad. parking deck, target fronting the street, maybe with other small stores at the street level....I'd say go for it. Does target do this?

and I still think that Circuit City should build a flagship store in downtown Richmond on multiple levels. Hell, if they moved their HQ downtown into a new tower, this could be on the lower floors! I'd also like to see a museum there dedicated to how electronics and technology have transformed Richmond.

I bet none of you know that Circuit City started as Ward's TV which was a very small shop on West Broad near the old Sears building (maybe a good Target site?). Ward's sold TV's and other electrical appliances and then grew and grew. It is now Circuit City. That's why its headquarters is in Richmond.

A similar story was Best Products (now defunct) which started as a one-store operation in Richmond (not sure of the location) and expanded into an international company. The widow of its founder, Frances Lewis who still lives on Monument Avenue, is one of Richmond's most respected and noted cultural benefactors. :)

I could go with that but it would have to be very urban. No sprawling parking lot like they pulled on us for that freakin Lowe's on broad. parking deck, target fronting the street, maybe with other small stores at the street level....I'd say go for it. Does target do this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This month's Architectural Record magazine shows some urban Target stores. When pressed to conform to an urban site, they can and will, and they produce some really nice stores.

I actually did know about Ward's....It's one of the things that got this museum thing in my head. didn;t know everything about Best but I always can see their old HQ off I-95 on my way back and forth to school....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best was famous for somewhat outlandish architecture - like a peeling, curved brick wall on it Midlothian TPK store.

BEST_Peel_ext03_300_t.jpg

I did a thread on Best Products showrooms a few weeks back:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11913

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just got around to visiting that site, Steven. Really wonderful pictures of outlandish buildings. Funny comment about the guy not wanting to visit the Houston store because he thought it was being demolished! Can't you imagine the daily flow of passing motorist wondering "when are they gonna finish tearing down that damned building?" :lol:

• 7 months later...

Best's original location was 4909 W. Marshall.

Wards' first address was 705 W. Broad.

When I lived in Richmond Ward's TV (now Circuit City) was in the block of Broad just west of the old Sear's building between Allen Avenue and Meadow Street. But, it's very possible that they had a store at 705 W. Broad before that, but I can't picture the 700 block of West Broad in my mind. Was it east of Belvidere?

I do remember Best's at that West Marshall Street address near Willow Lawn. I always thought it was an odd location, but despite that, it thrived.

Archived