HOTTEST, RESURGED FLORIDA DOWNTOWNS

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

For all of you who don't, you should read Florida Trend Magazine. This magazine is "the authority" on all Florida cities and all of Florida relative to growth, economy, construction, population, people, cultures, etc.

A recent article chronicled the resurgence of the "hottest downtowns" in Florida. The hottest downtowns, with the most explosive growth and construction are Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando, Sarasota, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Pensacola, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Hollywood, Naples, and Delray Beach.

Ironically Jacksonville was not in the "hottest" list, but was instead shoved to the end of this list in a generic section titled, "budding downtowns." The budding downtowns listed Jacksonville's downtown growth on a par with that of Punta Gorda, Bradenton, Fort Pierce, and Panama City; not good for Florida's largest City. So here is the article from Florida Trend Magazine for you to read and enjoy (excerpted from www.floridatrend.com):

Hot Downtowns: Resurgence

Movie theaters, restaurants, entertainment and retail are following residents downtown, making city living more attractive.

By Cynthia Barnett, Amy Keller, Barbara Miracle, Mike Vogel

Just two years ago, it was as impossible to catch a movie in downtown Orlando as it was for a downtown worker in St. Petersburg to go grocery shopping on her lunch break. Today, those cities and others across Florida have passed perhaps the most important milestone on the road to rebuilding vital and vibrant city cores: Their downtowns have the infrastructure of everyday life

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the primary reasons they left Jax out of the "hottest" list was because overall, we are weak. We may have a construction boom, but the other elements to make us "well rounded," that is, restaurants, retail, movie theaters, entertainment, overall downtown economy, transportation, etc. is sorely lacking.

Tell me what y'all think.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I just added it up....over 6000 units planned, approved or UC. Compare that.

They also state the the Shipyards delay was the only reason Jax wasn't listed in 'Hot' yet they even point out the project is now happeneing anyway.

Miami - 17k

WPB -6k

Jax - 6k

StP - 6k

FtL - 6k

Tampa - 6k

Orl - 4k

The rest were in the 4k, 1k and lower range yet we aren't listed???????

I wouldn't dispute leaving Jax off the "hottest downtowns" list. Even if all our proposals come to fruition, we are still looking at around 2010+ before our downtown population even has a shot at getting in the 5000-10,000 resident range. What are we now ... 1,500 people with 700ish units actually under construction?? We are definitely behind the pace of South Florida. They are definitely ahead of us at the moment - however many of our longer term projects might very well push us past some of them 5+ years from now.

But yeah, the magazine clearly didn't do its research on Jacksonville. It's laughable to only mention the ~650 unit Shipyards proposal, when the combined Southbank proposals (and u/c) might yeild several thousand units by build-out.

The listing isn't about what's there now and places like Tally, Hollywood, Delray beach, Gainesville, and Pensacola don't even compare to our DT population now anyway.

I pretty much slammed them in my email.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Boy, LOL, I would have loved to have been a fly on your computer screen! :rofl:

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

When you get paid to write and research for that stuff is available all over the place, there is simply no excuse at all for that level of ineptitude. It's almost as though they researched every city except Jax and just went by what they heard on the news about the Shipyards issues while sitting in their St. Pete office.

Half my staff are unpaid but research everything they write. That is simply ridiculous.

EDIT:

What's worse, some of the data needed was already in their own archives.

We'll, their condo numbers are wrong for Orlando, don't know about other cities..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I told them their lack of research for Jacksonville causes questioning to the rest of the article and here it is they are off on Orlando as well.

I told them their lack of research for Jacksonville causes questioning to the rest of the article and here it is they are off on Orlando as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, they could have gone to the Orlando development board's website to get the numbers, which hovers around 7000+ right now. Florida Trend has never struck me as "journalism" anyway, its just fluff.

Too bad Jax was near the lowest on their downtown scale. As far as what exactly "hottest" actually means, I'm guessing they mean fun things to do. And while Delray Beach may not be as big as Jacksonville, I can personally say that there's way more to do in Delray than downtown Jax.

All in good time, Jax will get its own great retail and entertainment venues... But right now, it's mostly business-oriented.

Just my two cents....

While this story misses the mark when it comes to Jax, it still pretty good and sheds some light on some of the smaller, yet exciting downtowns in cities like Delray Beach.

Nevertheless, I will say, although Jax's numbers and units are close to Tampa'a & Orlando's, our downtown suffers from these projects being spread out across the CBD. The impact will only be felt when a majority of the planned projects along the Adam's corridor start to near completion.

Again, I really believe and think that the primary reasons they left Jax out of the "hottest" list was because overall, we are weak. We may have a construction boom, with many buildings, etc. on the drawing board(s), but the other elements to make us "well rounded," that is, restaurants, retail, movie theaters, entertainment, overall downtown economy, transportation, etc. are sorely lacking.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

The heading of this article leads one to believe that growth in downtown entertainment is the main reason these cities are on the list. If this were the case, i can understand leaving jax off. However, in the write-ups on each city, it seems that population is the main factor. Therefore, i think jax should certainly be on the "hot" list.

I do not believe that jax is currently experiencing a downtown "boom", but i would say that we are definitely on the verge of such a thing. Right now the framework is being set for an explosion of growth in all areas. More residents/businesses are coming downtown, the infrastructure is being improved, and public sentiment is very favorable. However, the lack of success currently experienced by numerous downtown venues indicates that we aren't quite at the tipping point. Everyone knows downtown is on its way to being extremely prosperous, but we forumers are able to see a little bit farther down the road than most.

I'm sure plenty of forumers here could have written a better article, but it was alright for a commoner.

By the way: I'm currently in LA, so i don't know how often i'll be able to check the site. I look forward to catching up on the latest news when i get home.

The heading of this article leads one to believe that growth in downtown entertainment is the main reason these cities are on the list.  If this were the case, i can understand leaving jax off.  However, in the write-ups on each city, it seems that population is the main factor.  Therefore, i think jax should certainly be on the "hot" list.

I do not believe that jax is currently experiencing a downtown "boom", but i would say that we are definitely on the verge of such a thing.  Right now the framework is being set for an explosion of growth in all areas.  More residents/businesses are coming downtown, the infrastructure is being improved, and public sentiment is very favorable.  However, the lack of success currently experienced by numerous downtown venues indicates that we aren't quite at the tipping point.  Everyone knows downtown is on its way to being extremely prosperous, but we forumers are able to see a little bit farther down the road than most. 

I'm sure plenty of forumers here could have written a better article, but it was alright for a commoner.

By the way:  I'm currently in LA, so i don't know how often i'll be able to check the site.  I look forward to catching up on the latest news when i get home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well stated post. Maybe that's why they put Jax under the "budding downtown" in stead of "hottest downtown" sector?

I feel Jax should have been put under the hottest column just for the number of buildings/units that currently exist and are on the drawing board(s); but it was not to be from Florida Trend. I agree, some people look at what is there right now, right this minute, instead of what is clearly visible but not necessarily tangible looking down the portal into the future.

Don't fret everyone, we know what Jax is capable of and what is being done in our City. We know the enormous potential ready to burst and explode for the world to see. We also, finally, pretty much know who we are, where we came from, and where we are going.

So keep your head up, don't listen to columnists, being an administrator, and a damn good one, I can tell you that the majority of them know absolutely nothing, don't do thorough research, and I'll bet the person that wrote that article is young, dumb, and snotty nosed! ;)

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Compared to Gainseville? Pensacola? Tally?  Etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Although Jax is bigger and has more constrution/units on the drawing board and in existence at present, those cities downtowns must be bustling a lot more in terms of restaurants, retail, movie theaters, entertainment, overall downtown economy, transportation, etc. It is possible for a smaller city to have more going on in its downtown than a bigger city, but not have much construction going on.

Let's face it, Jax is on the upswing, we all would agree eh? But right now, right this minute, Jax barely has anything going on, for the exception of the construction boom, to make it a hot downtown; there is very little entertainment, not enough restaurants, very little retail, no movie theaters, at present a suspect economy (but on the upswing), and transportation mode(s) are pretty good; however, on the whole, Jax is JUST NOT THERE, therefore the reason Florida Trend terms it a "budding downtown," instead of a hot one.

Again, Jax is MY CITY and I love Jax. But I am sure that many of the heavy hitters in this forum would also agree with me that Jax is just not there yet with the viable and essential amenities that would make it a HOT DOWNTOWN. :(

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I've been to all three and none are exactly bustling in terms of entertainment.  Like Jax, they're all in the stage of possibly going on an urban boom.  I wouldn't read too much into this article, considering several other Florida cities with booming downtowns were also left off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been around Florida, that is, in other Florida cities downtowns like you have, so I really wouldn't know. But when someone initiates or creates an article of this nature, I am trusting them to have done their research, homework, and to be truthful in what is being printed.

It appears that the writer left a lot of stones unturned and was basically shooting off the hip with either heresay or no research!

Florida Trend, to me, is a good magazine that provides good stuff. I've been reading it for years now and it has given me a heartbeat and indicator of where Florida is and where it is going. This one article seems to have "missed the boat" on a lot of stuff, in particular Jax, Florida; therefore, I won't read into it. But it is good to comment on it and it does provide some good stuff relative to the other big cities in Florida and smaller cities that are headed in the same direction as Jax.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER :)

Now that I think about it, downtown Tampa's nightlife isn't much to brag about either. At least Jax does have the Landing, for whatever that's worth. Tampa's urban entertainment districts are actually located, just outside of the CBD. Nevertheless, I like Florida Trend, its a decent magazine. They just dropped the ball on this particular article.

Archived