Your city's age

Ruso

Quito definetly got there first (when did St. Augustine, and Santa Fe get founded late 1500's? also the French were in what's now Pensacola before even Santa Fe or St. Augustine).

in the 1500's present day Pittsburgh was an indian settlement (Irqouis I think) about 2 miles up the Ohio from the point. I doubt any westerner even saw the forks of the Ohio in downtown until the mid 1600's.

1758 founded under its current name, 1740's founded under the French.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**Minneapolis** formally the community of St. Anthony was founded on the east side of the Mississippi River near St. Anthony Falls was surveyed and platted as a townsite in 1849, the same year the territory of Minnesota was established. In 1852, President Millard Fillmore approved an act of Congress reducing the Fort Snelling reservation, thereby opening the land west of the river to settlers, although most of the settlers did not receive clear title until 1855. In 1858 the town of Minneapolis government was organized.

What is the oldest colonial American city?Jamestone?

:ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jamestown, Virginia was the first successful English settlement in America.

St. Augustine, Florida is the oldest European settlement in the US.

Santa Fe, New Mexico is the nation's oldest capital city (a capital even when it was under Spanish control).

• 2 weeks later...

We are so young compared to a lot of these. Louis Campau set up a trading post along the banks of the Grand River in 1826, which is now Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

in one day, april 22 1889, oklahoma city was founded. the great land run brought in 20,000 people to this central location in 24 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Winston-Salem's origins date to 1753 with the founding of Bethabara, the first Moravian settlement in Wachau or Wachovia (hence Wachovia Bank), a tract of land deeded to the Moravians by Count Nicolas Ludwig von Zinzendorf of Moravia, then a part of the Holy Roman Empire (now a part of the Czech Republic). There next settlement, Salem, was begun in 1766. The town of Winston was chartered to become the county seat of the newly formed Forsyth County in 1849. The two cities merged and got the hyphen in 1913, the same year that R.J. Reynolds debuted Camel cigarettes.

I've lived in Villeneuve-d'Ascq created in 1970. B)

In fact this new town bring together three former communes : Annapes, Flers and Ascq. Annapes is named from the Gaulish ana- = marsh (old irish : enach). Ascq is Germanic : ask = oak.

The head city, Lille, is born from a castle in an island in the middle of the Deule river in 1066. The castle was simply named "L'Isle".

hmmm Ruso guess what? I think Quito may not be the oldest kid on the block after all ;)

Constantine was inhabited before the phoenicians, before the romans, before the arabs, before the ottomans, before the french, and before the tourists like me. it's possible that it was inhabited since prehistoric times.. check out Mr. Serge Gilard's timeline:

http://www.constantine.free.fr/LaVille/histoire.htm

its old name I believe was "cirta" during phoenician times i think..? don't quote me on that :P Then it was re-named after the Roman emperor Constantine the great. i remember seeing a big statue of him in shining armor guarding the front of the train station.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Se

for both of my residences:

BOSTON, MA:

Town: 1630

City: 1822

BONITA SPRINGS, FL:

City: 1932 then disbanded in 1933 (gave up incorporation because city couldn't afford first year's street light bill that was owed to the county, disbanded and gave land back to county to settle bill).

City (again and for real this time): 1999 (approx 24,000 people in '99, approx 41,000+ this year and growing).

• 2 weeks later...

Tuscaloosa is named for the Choctaw chief Tascaluza, or Tuskalusa, who was defeated by Hernando de Soto in 1540 in the Battle of Mauvila.

The city itself was not incorporated until 1819 and it served as the state capital of Alabama for 20 years, from 1826 until 1846, when the capital was moved to Montgomery.

The area that now holds Birmingham was originally named Elyton after the Elyton Land Company (now RealtySouth). The original community of Elyton died out and the majority of the residents relocated the heart of Jones Valley and named the development Birmingham after the industrial city in England. Birmingham was officially incorporated in 1847.

• 2 weeks later...

Asheville was founded bypioneer town planner and real estate broker John Burton in 1794. The town was known as Morristown during its early years and was called Buncombe Courthouse until 1797, when it was incorporated and officially named Asheville in honor of North Carolina Governor Samuel Ashe of New Hanover County.

Greensboro was established in 1808 as Guilford

San Antonio was first settled by Europeans in 1718. Spanish Missions were established and many remain today. The most famous being the Alamo, site of the 1836 battle between Texas and Mexico.

The most impressive mission, IMO, is the Mission San Jose located on the southside.

San Antonio is the oldest major city in Texas.

Archived