East Lansing Development

hood

Here are two major projects in the works for East Lansing.

First, there is the Michigan Museum Place, AKA City Center II. It will be a 720,000 sq. ft. mixed use development at the NW corner of Grand River & Albert, possibly including a new museum for the State/MSU and residences of some sort. If funding is not awarded for the museum portion the developer will look at alternatives, such as more residential, a hotel, or offices. Here are a couple renderings.

Grand River Ave elevation.

MichiganMuseumPlace2.jpg

Looking down Albert towards Grand River.

MichiganMuseumPlace1.jpg

The second project is known as "The East Village" and is bounded by Grand River Ave, the Red Cedar River, Bogue St, and Hagadorn. It will have up to 2,463,000 Sq. Ft. of mixed use development, it is still in it's early planning stages and will be contructed in phases by individual developers.

An arial rendering

EastVillage1.jpg

Looking East down Grand River Ave.

EastVillage2.jpg

Looking North on Bogue St.

EastVillage3.jpg

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I'd never catch myself saying this, but Museum Place, to me anyway, looks out of scale with downtown East Lansing and the surrounding neighborhood. But, maybe this is just what downtown East Lansing needs.

Also, there are many other developments happening in East Lansing outside of the core especially in the northwestern (suburban annexed) area of East Lansing.

Yeah, I'm sure there are but I'm too lazy to look them up, but I do think taller developments will help EL, they could really use some density.

There are some pretty nice row historic looking condos being built on Central Park Dr. by the Meridian Mall also. They are expensive though, $267,900 to $350,000, and there will be only 26 units in 4 buildings.

There will 4 of these:

AutumnPark-Montage9_Copy435.jpg

It is SO weird their location. They are wedged in between busy Okemos Road ane the busy and HUGE Meridian Mall parking lot. That land would have been much better suited for strip mall development.

As for East Lansig, it is nice to see them building up, but at that particular location it just seems so out of scale with the blocks around it.

It is SO weird their location.  They are wedged in between busy Okemos Road ane the busy and HUGE Meridian Mall parking lot.  That land would have been much better suited for strip mall development.

As for East Lansig, it is nice to see them building up, but at that particular location it just seems so out of scale with the blocks around it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for Autumn Park I think it is kind of nice, it's sort of secluded, surrounded in the back by wetland and I would hate to see even more retail.

Maybe they are trying to kickstart development on that part of Grand River, it is still decent now (except for the to be demolished building), but it is nothing compared to the situation just a little bit East, that area is very nice, I can only hope that downtown Lansing can someday become that lively.

There is also the "West Village" development near Valley Court Park. They are tearing down the old Greyhound Bus Station and a couple homes and are building a combination of townhouse condos, retail, apartments and underground parking.

I couldn't find any pictures of it, but they are planning on doing this pretty soon, because the owners of the homes have not let the current residents renew their leases for the 05/06 school year.

Also there is another developement that should start work probably in the spring across the street from Taco Bell in downtown East Lansing. This is a three story building (called "Stonehouse Village"), with 18' foot ceilings. I believe it would be mixed-use.

Also, on another front, MSU is building a new 6 story parking ramp right on Grand River across the street from City Center I, much to the dismay of the City of East Lansing. MSU doesn't charge for parking after 6, and the city does. Also, the city complained that it would create too much traffic on Grand River.

AND, the City has been teasing about building a 10-story building on the current site of the Evergreen Grill, across from City Hall on Abbott Road, and another development on City Parking Lot 1, across from Harper's on Albert.

I wish I had pictures. If you go by the "Stonehouse Village" location, there is a picture of the planned building on the side of the current building.

- Jared

Believe it or not, I found a rendering of the proposed condominium tower on the internet awhile back, but forgot to save it.  It was pretty modern looking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which proposed condominium tower are you talking about?

I always thought East Lansing needed more density, but not necessarily on Grand River. I lived in a big old co-op called Friends of the Highway at Ann and Charles Streets. It now looks at a jungle gym looking parking structure ...ugherly ...

Can't they take out Cedar Village, across from Snyder/Phillips? It must be decrepit by now ...

Can't they take out Cedar Village, across from Snyder/Phillips? It must be decrepit by now ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, that is within the borders of the proposed East Village, they are hoping it and everything around it will be razed.

There is also the "West Village" development near Valley Court Park.  They are tearing down the old Greyhound Bus Station and a couple homes and are building  a combination of townhouse condos, retail, apartments and underground parking.

I couldn't find any pictures of it, but they are planning on doing this pretty soon, because the owners of the homes have not let the current residents renew their leases for the 05/06 school year.

Also there is another developement that should start work probably in the spring across the street from Taco Bell in downtown East Lansing.  This is a three story building (I think called "Stonelight Village", but don't quote me on the name), with 18' foot ceilings.  I believe it would be mixed-use.

Also, on another front, MSU is building a new 7 story parking ramp right on Grand River across the street from City Center I, much to the dismay of the City of East Lansing.  MSU doesn't charge for parking after 6, and the city does.  Also, the city complained that it would create too much traffic on Grand River.

AND,  the City has been teasing about building a 10-story building on the current site of the Evergreen Grill, across from City Hall on Abbott Road, and another development on City Parking Lot 1, across from Harper's on Albert.

I wish I had pictures.  If you go by the "Stonelight Village" location, there is a picture of the planned building on the side of the current building.

- Jared

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The name of the develpment is "Stonehouse Village," I beleive it has been upped to a 4 story development now, but I am not sure. I have searched for renderings of this and West Village also, with no luck. Both projects are, from my understanding, sure deals and will begin construction either before this years end or next spring.

Where did you here about that 10 story development? I'd like to hear more.

Yes, I drove by the sign today for Stonehouse Village, and I'm pretty sure it shows a 4-story brick building.  Looking it up in the LSJ I see it was approved sometime this year and will contain 27 units (three floors of residential space above ground floore retail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, you know that project has been scrutinized so much by the city council. They don't want students living there, and keep trying to change it to make sure that it will only be owner occupied. I think it is either less than 27 units now, or that is the scaled down number from the proposal.

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I'm not sure where they would put that. Evergreen Grill is much too small a lot for that. I have been thinking for the past year or so what a cool idea it would be to build something like that along Grand River. I went to Florida and saw they were building condos that looked like that, close to the water. People could go out on their balconies and see the ocean. It would make for a cool and lively downtown, a sort of Mardi Gras feeling hopefully.

Here are pictures of the new parking lot that they are building on Grand River, across from City Center I.

ramp1.jpg

ramp2.jpg

ramp3.jpg

Artist renderings of the new parking structure that will be located behind Morrill Hall show a design that looks similar to other buildings in the vicinity. The first image shows the parking ramp from West Circle Drive with Morrill Hall in front of the structure. The second image shows the entrance to the ramp from Grand River Avenue. The third image shows the complete structure from Grand River Avenue.

They are building on the site of this surface lot.

parking_lot.jpg

More news can be found here:

http://newsbulletin.msu.edu/mar1705/parking_ramp.html

Did anybody know that the proposed Michigan Musuem Place, aka City Center II, is supposed to reach over the street to the west of the property? Here are some more pictures of it:

The site plan, with the building in the yellow area, as proposed:

MMP_SP_PROJECTS.jpg

http://www.strathmoredev.com%5b/url" target="_blank">]Michigan Museum Place is a redevelopment project involving two city blocks in downtown East Lansing, adjacent to Michigan State University.  Michigan Museum Place is being developed as a joint venture with the State of Michigan, City of East Lansing and Citizen

Did anybody know that the proposed Michigan Musuem Place, aka City Center II, is supposed to reach over the street to the west of the property?  Here are some more pictures of it:

The site plan, with the building in the yellow area, as proposed:

MMP_SP_PROJECTS.jpg

If you want more information, you can view all the elevation plans and everything at:  http://www.strathmoredev.com/Property_for_...Retail/MMP.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beleive that they plan to remove that street entirely.

And I remember a proposal for a 14 story building, it was turned down for being too tall, it was mentioned in this article, in the fourth paragraph from the bottom.

What do you think of "The Beaumont", a new development in East Lansing. It's being built in the "Northern Tier". I wish they had a site plan available, but I can't find one. It's been in planning for years now, and there is now new activity there. They have a sign up and a website, which describes what should be built.

Their website is at: http://www.thebeaumontlife.com

The development is approxamitely here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.772453,-...,0.010131&hl=en

It is on the south side of Coleman Road, and the sign is almost directly across the street from the entrance to Hawk's Nest Neighborhood.

It seems like it is built around New Urbanism, but they don't mention any commercial.

Archived