East Lansing Development

hood

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I thought the Beaumont was the typical suburban sprawl, but I should have figured more seeing as how the Gillespie Group is building it.  They seem to be the forerunners in great, urban design in Mid-Michigan.  I like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, with that development, the Hawk's Nest, the Villas at Stratford Place, and the hundreds of student apartments, that area is booming. Also with the Chandler Crossings Mall. There has been talk for years of an I-69 ramp built at Chandler and I-69, but who knows when that will actually happen. I heard land has already been acquired but I don't know any more than that.

Plus, land value by Coolidge, Coleman, and West Rd, has skyrocketed. Did you see that there is 8 acres for sale for 1.195 million? I think the boom came from designating it a smart zone, I hope it continues. With land that expensive, a multiple story building seems like it would be a must. There is already the 5/3 Bank building and a new five story building that is nearing completion. I wonder what will come at the corner of Coolidge & Coleman, and along Coolidge on the west side between Coleman and State?

I'm sorry, but the northwest part of East Lansing (newly annexed) is nothing but sprawl. It's booming for the simple fact that it is newly aquired land. I hate to see the city sprawl like it is when focus should be on filling in the missing blocks in the inner-city. I don't know if many people realize this, but East Lansing is losing population, and the only reason it is projected to have grown since 2000 is because of the newly annexed land.

I currently live at The Village at Chandler Crossings out on Chandler @ Coleman, but I'd be the first to move downtown if apartment living ever went large scale down there. It kinda sucks that downtown EL is overdeveloped, and leaves no opportunity for new apartments. I would like to see the "gerbal cage" demolished and a large scale apartment in its place. I dont think that would be a good idea, considering it is a prime retail location, but that is just my goofy thinking I guess. That is the one thing that makes Ann Arbor better than East Lansing-...the ONE AND ONLY THING (Go Green!) :P

What do you think of "The Beaumont", a new development in East Lansing.  It's being built in the "Northern Tier".  I wish they had a site plan available, but I can't find one.  It's been in planning for years now, and there is now new activity there.  They have a sign up and a website, which describes what should be built. 

Their website is at:  http://www.thebeaumontlife.com

The development is approxamitely here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.772453,-...,0.010131&hl=en

It is on the south side of Coleman Road, and the sign is almost directly across the street from the entrance to Hawk's Nest Neighborhood.

It seems like it is built around New Urbanism, but they don't mention any commercial.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Beaumont looks great, of course that if it's built as planned.

For EL's dowtown it appears they do plan to do a lot of infill, from the Virginia Ave Project to the plan for downtown. They have the entire stretch of Grand River planned out from the planned 10 story collection of buildings near the City Center 2 and the 4-5 story buildings lining gaps all along Grand River. Check out the East Lansing Planning Area reports (PDF), to get a brief overview of the plan on pages 100-113, they have some big plans and considering the current momentum they will probably meet their goals.

I'm sorry, but the northwest part of East Lansing (newly annexed) is nothing but sprawl.  It's booming for the simple fact that it is newly aquired land.  I hate to see the city sprawl like it is when focus should be on filling in the missing blocks in the inner-city.  I don't know if many people realize this, but East Lansing is losing population, and the only reason it is projected to have grown since 2000 is because of the newly annexed land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see where you are going with this but there are a couple different characteristics from the Northern Teir developements than traditional urban sprawl.

With all of the developments north of Lake Lansing and south of State Road, there is high density. Whether it be Hawks Nest, a neighborhood with narrow streets and houses that are nearly 8 feet apart, or the multiple three story apartment complexes. True that urban sprawl means people will find ways to stay away from downtowns, and the area also has a largly increasing commercial district, but that commercial district by US-127 deserves to be a large commercial district. It is by the popular Eastwood Towne Center, 127, and the busy Lake Lansing Rd. Having five story commercial buildings looks nice as people are heading south on 127 coming in to Lansing/East Lansing.

I wish those buildings were built in either downtown East Lansing or downtown Lansing, but the easy on/easy off of the 127 really benefits those large banks that occupy those buildings. And Eyde and the City of Lansing want to create "Eastown" in that area, a 20 year plan for another part of the city like Old Town.

The plans for Eastwood Towne Center are extensive, they are planning new offices, including a 7+ story tower, much more retail, a major Hotel, possibly an Embassy suites, an extended stay hotel, nearly 3,000 residential units and since after all of this will use up much of the surface lots they plan on building several parking ramps.

Check out the article on future development here

Also, there is a pdf of the master plan that shows all of the planned development here

But, the Lansing Township "downtown" development plan is shortsighted. The metro will not be able to support another downtown. This is simply scattering around resources pulling potential retail/office/hotel/residential space from both East Lansing and Lansing. We already have the anchors on the west and east and the two downtowns. Eastwood Towne Center is simply too close to both cities downtowns, in effect, splitting all new development. I tend to believe the school of thought that Eastwood, downtown Lansing, and downtown East Lansing have their own pools of potential businesses, but they also overlap. The sudden and aggresive push for development along Lake Lansing will just that much more handicap the other two downtown's abilities to fill up. And not just the downtown's but the other smaller business districts in each city.

Just look at a map. If this would have been developed futher north in DeWitt Township that would have been all right sense those residents need more quality retail and a true retail center. But building this new "town center" so close to both downtown Lansing and East Lansing was irresponsible planning at best. This is one reason I wish Lansing would have annexed the rest of Lansing Township long ago, so they could better control spawl. Unfortunately, it seems as if Lansing Township has forgot it's place and seems to think that the fractured and scattered township exist independently of all other responsibilities it has in a metro area.

But, the Lansing Township "downtown" development plan is shortsighted.  The metro will not be able to support another downtown.  This is simply scattering around resources pulling potential retail/office/hotel/residential space from both East Lansing and Lansing.  We already have the anchors on the west and east and the two downtowns.  Eastwood Towne Center is simply too close to both cities downtowns, in effect, splitting all new development.  I tend to believe the school of thought that Eastwood, downtown Lansing, and downtown East Lansing have their own pools of potential businesses, but they also overlap.  The sudden and aggresive push for development along Lake Lansing will just that much more handicap the other two downtown's abilities to fill up.  And not just the downtown's but the other smaller business districts in each city. 

Just look at a map.  If this would have been developed futher north in DeWitt Township that would have been all right sense those residents need more quality retail and a true retail center.  But building this new "town center" so close to both downtown Lansing and East Lansing was irresponsible planning at best.  This is one reason I wish Lansing would have annexed the rest of Lansing Township long ago, so they could better control spawl.  Unfortunately, it seems as if Lansing Township has forgot it's place and seems to think that the fractured and scattered township exist independently of all other responsibilities it has in a metro area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree.

But, the Lansing Township "downtown" development plan is shortsighted.  The metro will not be able to support another downtown.  This is simply scattering around resources pulling potential retail/office/hotel/residential space from both East Lansing and Lansing.  We already have the anchors on the west and east and the two downtowns.  Eastwood Towne Center is simply too close to both cities downtowns, in effect, splitting all new development.  I tend to believe the school of thought that Eastwood, downtown Lansing, and downtown East Lansing have their own pools of potential businesses, but they also overlap.  The sudden and aggresive push for development along Lake Lansing will just that much more handicap the other two downtown's abilities to fill up.  And not just the downtown's but the other smaller business districts in each city. 

Just look at a map.  If this would have been developed futher north in DeWitt Township that would have been all right sense those residents need more quality retail and a true retail center.  But building this new "town center" so close to both downtown Lansing and East Lansing was irresponsible planning at best.  This is one reason I wish Lansing would have annexed the rest of Lansing Township long ago, so they could better control spawl.  Unfortunately, it seems as if Lansing Township has forgot it's place and seems to think that the fractured and scattered township exist independently of all other responsibilities it has in a metro area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eastwood's location is ideal because of the expressway access that allows for it to be a destination for people from other cities in Michigan, plus it is near the higher-income areas of northern metro Lansing. While it does detract from the downtown areas, it is accessible for many people.

Additionally, the land that Granger holds on Wood Rd, as well as the surrounding areas of Granger Park are highly valuable for Residential and Commercial development.

I think Eastwood will be greatly successful and will not likely have a major affect on Lansing's or East Lansing's downtown, it will, and has, significantly affected numerous plazas, the malls, and the efforts to create a Meridian Township downtown. I don't particularly like Lansing Twps way of running their governement though, they run things very loosly, Sparty's being able to go unchecked for years is an example of that (the bouncer/management problems at Sparty's.)

I have been trying to keep up on the City Center 2 project, but I can't find the article your talking about, it appears the State News site is messed up or something. Do you have a link to the article or can you sum up what it said?

I have been trying to keep up on the City Center 2 project, but I can't find the article your talking about, it appears the State News site is messed up or something. Do you have a link to the article or can you sum up what it said?

Their website is back up heres the link to the story: City Center II This should prove to be a very interesting and important project for downtown East Lansing. It should really help that part of downtown become more like Michigan Ave is further East. Hopefully it can spur other projects like it, East Lansing's goal is to have this area be midrises of around 10 floors, with low rise developments of around 4-6 floors on each side, like City Center 1, West Village and Stonehouse Village.

what does anybody think about the State News relocating to East Lansing's Downtown? They bring a good number of jobs, like 50 or so, and add a unique business that has large barriers to entry. The State News has a subscription base of over 46,000 people. It is located in the building next to Student Book Store. State News bought the building, and has finished converting the building to it's needs.

I have mixed feelings on this. It is geared towards Michigan State University, and it's students make up it's reporters and such which would really call for it staying on campus. Actually, it would be good to see both a MSU and East Lansing newspaper. I've always liked the idea of dueling newspapers because you get more than one view.

I don't know what to think. lol

I have mixed feelings on this.  It is geared towards Michigan State University, and it's students make up it's reporters and such which would really call for it staying on campus.  Actually, it would be good to see both a MSU and East Lansing newspaper.  I've always liked the idea of dueling newspapers because you get more than one view.

I don't know what to think.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the newspaper is staying the same. It's been independent of MSU for many years. They are just moving off campus. This brings jobs and money to that area of downtown. It adds more diversity than another retail front. They are doubling their space by moving off campus. You should really stop by and see what they've done. The interior looks great, and they have iMacs infront of all the windows, I'm not too sure what they plan on doing with them, maybe a scrolling news source or something.

I was downtown today, and they have begun demolishing Stonehouse Village.  They had a large backhoe there and about a 1/4 of the building had been torn  down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When are they expected to finish this? It seems as though they are starting a bit late in the construction season.

Archived