East Lansing Development

hood

The two new Stonehouse projects moving forward and I think are scheduled to start in the spring. City Center II is supposedly moving forward but has no dates assigned, demoltion of the Citizens Bank Building was rumored to be starting this month but thats looking less and less likely. Finally West Village construction should start anytime, as the site has been cleared. EL is already working with private developers on the beginnings of East Village, but no dates have yet been established. As for new buildings, the city is working with a developer on a 10-12 floor development of Lot #1, they saud they are early in discussion with no dates estabished.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no clue what rental rates are, but I do know that they are high compared to other area around Lansing and demand is very high during the school year, of course both things are contigent that you are willing to deal with MSU students.

I am an MSU student myself and am planning on dealing with other MSU students. I am thinking a $550-$650 + utilities/room range would not be out of the question considering the...I'm blanking on the name...but considering the apartments above the new Taco Bell are $650 + utilities/room down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

The projects developing in downtown East Lansing have been promising. Finally, the Evergreen Grille is getting a new breath of life as the Dublin Square Irish Restaurant and Pub. This redevelopment is north of the proposed City Center II site; east of the west village condo site. I would post the rendering, but haven't figured that out yet...

Thats pretty cool, do you know if they are going to have a liqour license? This place would be a nice addition to the thriving East Lansing Bar Scene.

Does anyone know whats in that building above Lou and Harry's Grill on Albert? It says CMC2 on it, so I assume its offices, but just curious because someone could buy that and turn it into a reallly nice nightclub and probably bank. East Lansing only have 1 nightclub, right next door at Harpers.

Does anyone have any news on City Center II, strathmore took the rendering off their website of it, so I wonder whats going on.

Thats pretty cool, do you know if they are going to have a liqour license? This place would be a nice addition to the thriving East Lansing Bar Scene.

Does anyone know whats in that building above Lou and Harry's Grill on Albert? It says CMC2 on it, so I assume its offices, but just curious because someone could buy that and turn it into a reallly nice nightclub and probably bank. East Lansing only have 1 nightclub, right next door at Harpers.

Does anyone have any news on City Center II, strathmore took the rendering off their website of it, so I wonder whats going on.

yep the irish pub will have a liquor license, and outdoor patio. believe they will serve till 2am. ive heard the city wanted to have them stop serving at midnight. the owners of the ricks/beggars/riv did not like the idea of them taking a piece of the pie. the building where lou and harrys is, CMC2, is offices. and it would make a nice club, too bad the city wont give another liquor license out to save there lives.

also, found this when searching on the state news.. does anyone have any updates ?

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=38725

the site is located right behind the new irish pub, and adjacent to the "city centre II" plot. i use to live at the big house 334 evergreen when goin to college, i loved that house! so many great times, i might be sad to see it go :(

• 2 weeks later...

stonehouse village II has been cancelled, couldnt get enough public funds, but III is still underway as well as City Center II, but on strathmore's site, they took off the rendition of it, are they revamping it again? The cancelling of stonehouse II could be a good thing since they were going to make it look similar to the one right next to it and have it at the same height which probably would have looked tacky. Someone should buy the old taco bell across the street and break it down and build a nice apartment/retail building right there. It would give them a lot more space to work with.

I think i'll call Strathmore Development and see whats up with City Center II

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I noticed a sign for a development at the SE corner of Mt. Hope and Hagadorn, across the street from the MSU farms. I passed too quickly to see the rendering or details of the sign. Can anyone inform me of what the plans are for this site. TIA

They are called The Hamptons. I dont have a rendering but here is an article on them.

The Hamptons will contain apartments with three bedrooms and have commercial space on the first floor, Cronin said. The space could house student-oriented businesses.

"We're hoping for a Beaner's or Panera Bread," Cronin said. "You can live upstairs and do a little shopping downstairs."

DTN has spoken with commercial groups interested in moving into the property. However, Cronin said it won't realistically be ready until spring 2008 and that renters shouldn't expect to move in until August 2008.

Michi, that is a huge problem. The traffic between Bogue and Hagadorn is so incredibly bad, because there are very few thru-side streets to capture the traffic. There really isn't any way of taking another bridge across the Red Cedar because of the conservation area on the other side.

What I'm hoping is that with this increased density, this will push for most mass, and possibly rapid, transit. Because, the area now, traffic-wise, is a mess, and that's only going to get worse.

This is an impressive plan; the largest mixed-use development in Metropolitan Lansing's history, probably. That is, until the GM sites in Lansing and Lansing Township are developed. ;)

Some facts from Pierce Company (developer) to show how expansive this project is:

Location: The site is bounded by East Grand River Avenue (north), Hagadorn Road (east), Bogue Street (west) and the Red Cedar River (south). The site is contiguous to MSU on two sides (Bogue and Red Cedar River).

Developer: The Pierce Company

Cost: $500 million (estimated)

Land Area: 35 acres

Investment Banker: Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.

Tentative Development Program:

410,000 square feet of retail space

200,000 square feet of civic and/or university office space

1,300 units of housing with approximately 2,500 beds, including rental housing for undergraduate and graduate students, and for-sale housing for faculty, staff, alumni and the workforce

200-room Hotel with a 35,000 square foot conference center

4,780 parking spaces

12-acre riverfront park

http://www.piercecompany.com/msu-printer.html

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if MSU opened up more of their land, on campus, for student apartments with stipulations that it must be affordable. Actually, I've always wanted them to open up more to the private sector, in general on South Campus (south of the Red Cedar) to get more retail in, and to give it a more vibrant fill after the normal clase schedule. I know a lot of people that like that the city is seperate from the campus, but it's always seemed really depressing, to me, creating a lot of dead space on campus after classes, even with the huge dormitory presence (largest resident hall system in the country).

• 2 months later...

Yeah on weekday nights when there isnt a sporting event going on, south campus looks deserted since it is farther away from the downtown area and cedar village.

East Lansing is going to be changing a lot in the next few years. The first phase of West Village, on the street townhouses is being worked on and second phase of the 4 story condominiums and retail should begin to. They have torn up the whole area since its located kind of in a hilly area and are redoing the whole spot. It will be a great anchor for the west part of East Lansing.

On the East part of downtown, Stonehouse village III is underway with initial work. Bailey street is closed off and will be closed for the duration of the year. A 5 story building ( 2 stories of parking, 3 of condos) will be there right behind the new taco bell apartments.

City Center II is finally ready to be started as well. According to Strathmore Developments site, Fall 2007 should see the ground breaking and completion will be in 2009. There isnt a model of the building other than the general lay out.

The Kresge Museum is supposed to have a new entrance/expansion being built to it. The MSU Museum and is moving to City Center II and a brand new art museum will be on the campus side of Grand River and Collingwood, facing Downtown East Lansing. Other buildings such as the Chemistry Building and Duffy Daughtery Football building are being expanded with new entrances as well. Bottom line is the area is improving drastically and we can see a much more lively downtown approaching. 3 museums being upgrades will definitely make this area more cultured. Not to mention the new liberal arts college almost completed (although the some of the construction workers are on strike at this moment) will add to the diversity.

One thing i've noticed this year was reduced police-student troubles meaning more people hanging around downtown and more entertainment and new businesses coming in. Being from metro-Detroit and usually going to Ann Arbor since it was closer and friends there has made me realize how much potential East Lansing-Lansing area has. This area's changing a lot and IMO we can see this area become an even larger cultural/educational center for Michigan than it already is.

I actually like the dead feel to south campus at those various times. The East Lansing campus has always been and should always have a park like feel to it. The pedestrian traffic is never too congested and you would never know that there are 70 thousand people on campus at any given time (students, staff, guests). Whether classes are in session or not, the campus is always majestic and low key and I think that is the way it should remain.

Park-like it good for a place like the tightly-packed north campus, but the tree-less suburban-like south campus can be down-right depressing, to me. I guess I just wish the south campus was more densely built and natural, even if it were not have businesses in it. To me, at times, it can feel like a isolated wasteland.

Archived