Best surrounding town outside of Mecklenburg

What's your favorite surrounding Mecklenburg?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite surrounding Mecklenburg?

• Concord
    • Harrisburg
    • Mooresville
    • Lincolnton
    • Gastonia
    • Fort Mill/Tega Cay
    • Monroe
    • Midland/Fairview/Stanly County

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't really like the flight from core counties just to escape things like taxes....but i voted concord because I have known of quite a few people personally who have jumped to cabarrus county. People cite its proximity to university city, the lake towns, and concord mills.

Does anyone know or have easy access to the tax rates in the surrounding counties? I've always wondered if it was really a big difference because it seems like everyone I work with lives outside Mecklenburg and they all talk about the lower taxes. As you can see I've been too lazy to look it up myself.

I jumped to Meck county FOR the lower taxes lol Of course this was coming from Monroe county in upstate NY. When I hear people complain about taxes and traffic and what not in Meck county, I get a nice little chuckle out of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really? i lived in the NE area of the US for quite a while and have found Charlotte to be just as expensive on everything BUT housing.

None of those places are appealing to me. When I escape town my favorite place to go is Stanley, Idaho. It is right on the Snake River in the Grand Tetons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, the Grand Tetons are great! I've never been to the Idaho side though, but I must say the area around Jackson Hole is quite nice, although I haven't been there since I was 7, about 10 years ago, but I do actually remember it thoroughly. Maybe sometime I will get out there to ski, I have some relatives in Steamboat Springs, CO, so maybe I could take a side trip up to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone in Wyoming.

really?  i lived in the NE area of the US for quite a while and have found Charlotte to be just as expensive on everything BUT housing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rochester, NY (Monroe County):

2100 sqft house/.33 acre lot

$205,000

$5,875/yr taxes

Charlotte, NC (Meck County)

3000 sqft house/.3 acre lot

$220,000

$2,100/yr taxes

Then take into account energy bills. Last January I paid close to $300, that was just for Jan alone. (not to mention that my back is spared from all the shoveling).

F*** the northeast. I'm so glad to be out of there.

Rochester, NY (Monroe County):

2100 sqft house/.33 acre lot

$205,000

$5,875/yr taxes

Charlotte, NC (Meck County)

3000 sqft house/.3 acre lot

$220,000

$2,100/yr taxes

Then take into account energy bills. Last January I paid close to $300, that was just for Jan alone. (not to mention that my back is spared from all the shoveling).

F*** the northeast. I'm so glad to be out of there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I said housing IS cheaper down here! But then again most of your middle class up north dont have AC during the summer. So the bills would tend to almost even out. Housing is the big thing though. You can get a lot more house for your money down here and pay a lot less in taxes.

Comment about the a/c thing in the northeast. I lived in North Central Massachusettes for a yr and a half. I spent 2 full summers there. I did not have a/c in my apartment, nor did all but a small handful of the many people that I met up there. Out of the 3 people who actually had a/c all but 1 had a window unit, and oddly enough the person who had central air lived in a newly built section 8 apartment. Wal-Mart sold fans like crazy during the heat waves. So no, most people in New England, at least in the blue collar middle class areas of central and western Massachusettes do NOT have a/c. I don't know about the affluent "suburbs" surrounding Boston, I suppose when you can afford $2500/mo for a 2 bedroom apt you can at least have a window unit a/c. For the record, it gets quite hot up there, nothing like down here though, the humidity is much less. Plus the heat waves last shorter periods of time and it still gets in the 50's and 60's at night there alot, even in July and August. Plus by the end of September you are already having frost at night anyway, so the unbearable periods don't last nearly as long as down here....

example...right now at 2:52 am it's 64 degrees in Orange, MA

-avg temps for this date are 81/58

Wed: 85/67, Thu: 88/60, Fri: 84/59 Sat: 86/66 Sun: 86/63 Mon: lower 80's/upper 50's Tues: upper 70's-----according to weatherunderground.com

muahahahahaha

ok I suppose we can get back to Charlotte lol

• 3 weeks later...

Its not on the list but I think Salisbury and specifically Southwest Rowan county is going to be the next hot spot. Taxes are lower then even Cabarrus and it has relatively easy access to both 77 and 85. I have a feeling that area will see more upscale development. There is tons of open land, and northwest cabarrus is already seeing larger lot upscale homes being built. Salisbury offers tons of history. I encourage everyone to take a weekend and stay at a bed and breakfast in one of 10 historic districts in Salisbury. Its only about 45 mins from most of Charlotte. I think you all would enjoy. It has a suprisingly open accepting feel to it.

• 1 month later...

I found this source for tax rates in the Charlotte area:

http://www.realestate-charlotte.com/Proper...age_208967.html

I live in Michigan now, and I can tell you that almost every one of my neighbors in our sub (and I don't live in an affluent area) have A/C. June through mid-September humidity is pretty wretched here (I think our humidity is higher than yours due to the proximity of Lake Michigan). I just assumed that NY and Boston were the same. Maybe not. And you can't find a car (newer than 10 years) that doesn't come standard with air here either.

Archived