Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

It will be nice once all the live-work units become occupied so as to have retail/shops on the ground floor of 1520 Main. I really like the design; it blends in well with its surroundings. The 1500 block of Main is really getting some good investment, with 1520 Main, the Free Times offices, the refurbished McCrory building, 1537 Main (Argyle Social Club), and the future installation of the fountain sculpture in Boyd Plaza. Hopefully that will trickle northward so those vacant shops can get filled.

I do like the finished product there. The only downside to me is that Jammin' Java just kind of fades into the background. They have that really cool sign that stood out before and now it's kind of lost. Maybe they can do something to make it a little more eye-catching... people are already hesitant enough to check it out since you have to go down into the basement. :)

Edited by emerging.me

• 2 weeks later...

On another thread (POTD), Waccamatt said:

Main Street in Columbia isn't totally devoid of fine dining/nightlife (Villa Tronco, Hennesey's, Hampton Street Vineyard, Mac's on Main), but it is not the CBD's primary focus - other parts of downtown cater to the nightlife crowd.

I've heard that latter statement mentioned more than once here, and I wanted to address it here.

You guys know I have a great deal of affection for Columbia, so what I'm saying here is constructive in nature. Firstly, with few exceptions, a city's main street (whether or not it actually goes by the name "Main Street") is what most people associate with downtown for a city. That said, I still think that, in the past, the city should have put just as much effort and energy into making Main Street a destination as it did for the Vista (and to a lesser extent Five Points--which is pretty much a self-sustaining district since it caters to the college crowd). The truth is, the city has dropped the ball when it comes to Main Street, and the successes in other parts of downtown do not negate that. Even with all of the current development along Main, I'm still not sure that the city's leaders truly understand what it will take to revive Main. They had a prime opportunity to demonstrate this with the First Citizens tower; while the tower itself is aesthetically pleasing--a great visual improvement at the street level compared to other structures like 1401 Main and 1441 Main--it still does basically nothing to generate pedestrian activity along Main. The fact is, new buildings alone won't do it. I haven't heard anything about simply improving the aesthetics of many of the shopfronts along the street, which are, frankly, in terrible condition. Are any grants for facade improvements in the works? Are any signage ordinances/design guidelines in place? We can clearly see what works for the Vista and Five Points--so why does it seem to be so hard to apply the same principles to Main?

I've heard that latter statement mentioned more than once here, and I wanted to address it here.

You guys know I have a great deal of affection for Columbia, so what I'm saying here is constructive in nature. Firstly, with few exceptions, a city's main street (whether or not it actually goes by the name "Main Street") is what most people associate with downtown for a city. That said, I still think that, in the past, the city should have put just as much effort and energy into making Main Street a destination as it did for the Vista (and to a lesser extent Five Points--which is pretty much a self-sustaining district since it caters to the college crowd). The truth is, the city has dropped the ball when it comes to Main Street, and the successes in other parts of downtown do not negate that. Even with all of the current development along Main, I'm still not sure that the city's leaders truly understand what it will take to revive Main. They had a prime opportunity to demonstrate this with the First Citizens tower; while the tower itself is aesthetically pleasing--a great visual improvement at the street level compared to other structures like 1401 Main and 1441 Main--it still does basically nothing to generate pedestrian activity along Main. The fact is, new buildings alone won't do it. I haven't heard anything about simply improving the aesthetics of many of the shopfronts along the street, which are, frankly, in terrible condition. Are any grants for facade improvements in the works? Are any signage ordinances/design guidelines in place? We can clearly see what works for the Vista and Five Points--so why does it seem to be so hard to apply the same principles to Main?

AMEN. I been saying the same thing. The city has completely ignored the area and it is a disgrace. For Main St to succeed, they city will need to make a commitment with incentives, TIF, or some sort of financial package to improve the area. There has been substantial private investment with housing and new class a office space but it still has not made the difference many of us had hoped. TIME FOR THE CITY TO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE

Edited by mainstreeter

Krazee, thanks for your post (and it does better fit here of course) -- that's exactly what I was getting at!

Folks, what I am saying here is we should NOT just consider Main Street and vicinity as the "CBD" and roll up its sidewalks everyday at 5pm. Sure, The Vista, Devine Street, and 5 Points have fun nightlife and some decent eateries. But where are the REAL restaurants? Not chains, and not bars that happen to serve food, but ORIGINAL chef-driven, eclectic, gourmet bistros and full-service fine dining? You can count them on one hand, and they are FAR-flung around the metro. We should have a Main Street lined with multiple choices of ethnic, eclectic, nouveau southern, and other cuisines where hotel guests, business people, and all of our new downtown residents can stroll down the block to enjoy, and the street vibe that goes along with it. We need more sophisticated ADULT hang-outs as well concentrated along these blocks. Then you and I and other locals will come in droves to populate Main Street and its environs.

And PLEASE stop using the excuse that other cities don't have a Vista or a Five Points, and so can't compare--that is a cop-out for our great city, not to mention an insult to our other beloved cities. No surprise Charleston has us beat since they are the state's primary travel destination. But Greenville too has us beat in fine dining choices (and being within walking distance is a GOOD thing), and even Myrtle Beach will continue to get more sophisticated eateries. Columbia has the market for these (has had it for years), and the population explosion of downtown residents with the Barringer Bldg., Vsion, Adesso, Canalside, etc. is sure to make even more of a demand for it. The logical place for these is Main Street--not the Vista, not Irmo, not NE, but right in the heart of the city which needs an influx of energy so, so desperately!

This will do more than anything to re-invent Main Street, IMO.

Edited by digital_sandlapper

I could understand the state of Main Street if Columbia were Youngstown, OH--a city and metro area in the midst of a real decline. However, given the increasing growth and development in other areas of downtown, the city, and the metro area as a whole, there's absolutely no reason why Main should not have taken off yet; that's what makes it all the more frustrating.

Now to look on the bright side. I expect that the 2nd phase of the streetscaping will at least give us hope for Main north of Hampton. But now is the time for the city to be articulating a detailed vision for Main. Otherwise, it'll just have a freshly paved street and some nice lights and banners and ZERO people.

OK, here is my list of good to awesome non-chain (or small chains) eateries in the downtown area in Columbia. They aren't all "gourmet", but I wouldn't hesitate taking a visitor to any of them:

Five Points/Devine Street

Baan Sawan - Thai

Sushi Yoshi - Japanese

Garibaldi's - Italian and Seafood

Saluda's - Continental

Al Amir - Middle Eastern

Za's - Pizza

Dianne's on Devine - Italian/Continental

Mo Mo's Bistro - good recommendations, never eaten there

Devine Foods - Greek

DiPrato's

Main Street and vicinity north and south of the State House (agreeably not alot of restaurants)

Hampton Street Vineyard - Continental/French

M Cafe - Asian

Miyo's - Asian

Villa Tronco - Italian

Hennesey's - Continental

Camon - Sushi

California Dreaming

Hunter Gatherer

The Vista

Gervais and Vine - Tapas

Saki Tumi - Sushi/Japanese

Divino - Italian

Bull Market - Greek

Blue Marlin - Seafood

Tsunami - Sushi/Seafood/Japanese

Hush - Tapas

Mellow Mushroom (OK, it's a chain, but I love their pizza and decor)

Liberty's (yeah it's a bar, but the food is damn good)

Nonnah's - dessert

I'm sure I missed some, but you get the idea and yes, I eat out too much, lol.

Don't forget Tio's, Miyo's, Hunter-Gatherer, Sandy's, Moe's Southwest Grill and Fire House Subs between the Capitol and Blossom. Some of the nation's largest, most dynamic cities with vibrant inner-city urban nightlife districts roll up the sidewalks at night in the heart of their central business districts. While Columbia's Main Street is coming back to life, if the only future improvements were the rest of the streetscaping and more daytime retail, I wouldn't lose sleep.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Some of the nation's largest, most dynamic cities with vibrant inner-city urban nightlife districts roll up the sidewalks at night in the heart of their central business districts.

Maybe, but why does Columbia have to be like them? I'm not saying Main should be Michigan Avenue, but it should at least be aesthetically pleasing (the whole street, not just parts) and should provide after-hours options for dining, entertainment, and even retail. The raw materials are already there to make this happen.

I wonder how many storefronts were taken out in order for the county courthouse to get built? If ever there were a building in the wrong spot, that would be it.

Maybe, but why does Columbia have to be like them? I'm not saying Main should be Michigan Avenue, but it should at least be aesthetically pleasing (the whole street, not just parts) and should provide after-hours options for dining, entertainment, and even retail. The raw materials are already there to make this happen.

I wonder how many storefronts were taken out in order for the county courthouse to get built? If ever there were a building in the wrong spot, that would be it.

Construction on the rest of the streetscaping is set to start in June. I just got my City Center Partnership newsletter in the mail yesterday, and it says construction has started on Argyle, the new nightclub next to the Columbia Conservatory of Dance, and I see they've put brown paper on the windows so you can't see inside. The newsletter has a picture of the building. It also has a picture of the McCrory building where that high-tech home accessory company is putting their headquarters, with an article about Sherlock Holmes reopening in the basement this spring. The newsletter talks about the Sheraton Boutique hotel, the Barringer apartments, and Collexus (sp?) an internet search engine company that recently chose Main Street for their headquarters. By the way, that firm has some big-name customers and their reputation is growing fast.

The Nickelodean is supposed to be in their new digs sometime next year in the old Fox Theater. A shoe repair place just relocated from Devine Street to Main where Blimpie's was, and their signage and facade are very pleasing to the eye.

The aesthetics will be all in place, after the headaches that come with the continued streetscaping construction, and this to me says Columbia's Main Street isn't settling for being a forgotten corridor. With the people living in the Tapps building, the Capitol Places apartment and condo buildings, including Vsion that they just started work on, the Nickelodean patrons, the Friday night Columbia Musem of Art patrons, and the Sheraton Boutique guests, Columbia is on the verge of showing that we don't have to roll up the sidewalks in the core of the central downtown business district at night, but I was just saying that if all there was to do in that core at night was to window shop while strolling on a brick sidewalk with attractive pedestrian lamps lighting the way, I wouldn't be upset, since there are other vibrant places to go in what is now considered to be part of downtown Columbia. With the streetscaping finished, new retailers will follow, and there are two or three big buildings with lots of floor space and large showcase windows that will be waiting for them in the block between Taylor and Blanding.

I just hope the residents upstairs along Main will be able to sleep when Main Street gets to be like Lincoln Street, Gervais Street, Harden Street, Saluda Avenue, Devine Street and Lady Street.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I posted before and after pictures of the building housing the Argyle Social Club, and the transformation is a rather impressive one.

I hadn't heard of the Collexus development, but that's good to know.

me either, but I dug this up. Looks like a great catch for the metro.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...17/ai_n16126047

"Collexis, the world leader in knowledge retrieval technology, today announced the location of its North American corporate headquarters in Columbia, South Carolina. The company was founded in 1999 and has global headquarters in Geldermalsen, The Netherlands."

Edited by Infinite1

Actually, I would love for Main Street to be like Michigan Avenue!