Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

No I asked a constuction worker the back in March when they had the crane up blocking washington street, they are now aiming for Dec to possibly early 2008, :cry: the building is in far worst shape than they thought, and trying to keep up with codes for a historic building are wearing on them.

Not only historic codes, I think the real problem is that it has to be bought up to current building codes. Very difficult and costly, especially in a big, old building where there are so many systems and sub-systems out of sight.

Anyone know what's going on with the 1556 Main development? Any work been going on on the outside?

I attended the DDRC (architectural review board) hearing last week and the architect for the 1556 Main project presented the latest details. The board approved it contingent on some changes. They have scaled back the exterior changes to respect the architectural period the building basically represents. They will put in new windows and add flower boxes to all of them. Also, on the ground floor they will put in new windows along Taylor Street and along Main. And the facade will have better colors all over. By that afternoon, two of the windows on the upper floor were out, and I assume they are using the now windowless spaces to throw debris through while gutting the interior, since there's also a big bin down below again.

Thanks for the shot; seems as though it just doesn't have the detailing of the front and sides.

I don't think the back of the building looks bad at all. Ornamentation is meant only for the facade(s), right?

Trying to replicate the heavy ornamentation of that era would be astronomical today, especially when another building could be built next to it that would hide any rear ornamentation.

Learned last night that Friday May 11 is Jammin Java's last day. Grrrr. I really hate losing another unique, local venue. Anyone know what happened? Did the rent skyrocket with all the new neighbors coming in? I always thought JJ did a good business.

Learned last night that Friday May 11 is Jammin Java's last day. Grrrr. I really hate losing another unique, local venue. Anyone know what happened? Did the rent skyrocket with all the new neighbors coming in? I always thought JJ did a good business.

THAT SUCKS! but that might be a good place for Sherlock Holmes if they are still looking for space on Main St

JJ always did okay business but as far as I know always struggled to turn a profit. A buyout had been in the works, but it has fallen through. Any last minute takers? ;)

I ate lunch there once to check it out and it was ok, but nothing terribly unique. There is alot of competition out there and you better do something that really sets you apart or you will fall by the wayside.

I saw that the Arcade had a new tenant in the right side space facing Main.

I can't remember what magazine I saw it in, but there was this market in an area that looked a lot like the inside of the Arcade. How cool would it be if we could get businesses like Kromer's, a small grocery store, etc. to locate in there. The space has more potential than any other spot on main. If the right person (me?!?!?) could develop the property to its potential, I think it could be the anchor the brings after hours and weekend life back to Main.

Fountain sounds cool - does anyone have a picture or rendering of what it is going to look like?

I can see the fountain area right outside my office window. Yesterday there was a lot of acitivity going on there, but today there's NO ONE there. They do have it boarded off...but once they get started, I can't imagine why you'd take a day off already.