Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I think the Beach Company of Charleston does great when it comes to this. Here are two examples.

This is the Victoria Center on King Street, which houses a Brooks Brothers store on the ground floor:

VictoriaCenter.jpg

This is Majestic Square, adjacent to the Victoria Center, which houses a Saks:

MajesticSquare1.jpg

MajesticSquare2.jpg

MajesticSquare3.jpg

MajesticSquare4.jpg

I know that Charleston, due to its well preserved downtown and great architecture, sets a higher standard than most cities (particularly Southern cities), but it shows that it can be done here in the U.S.

When First Citizen's bought and tore down the building on the northeast corner of Main and Lady they said they were going to build an urban park there with an amphitheater.

I don't think that's a good spot for a park. If that plaza adjacent to their HQ's demonstrates how they think about open spaces, then I'd rather them not.

Not to be redundant, but I still haven't forgiven First Citizens for tearing down the charming "Jeweler" building. I can't even find a picture of it anywhere. Does anyone have one? :cry:

I don't remember that building, 'matt . . hope someone has an old pic with it. Although, then I will be mad at the loss too.

How would the Jeweler building work for DT in the CBD? The little thing was probably the same size as my childhood bedroom.

It would have made a great dog grooming shop. I'm a 1979 graduate of the New York School of Dog Grooming and I used to sit sometimes and imagine opening a shop there.