Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

No Excuse. lol... There's people on Atlanta's Peachtree on Sundays, there just needs to be more residential along Columbia's Main.

And also more retail needs to be open on Sunday.

Ellen, I posted a link in a post at the top of this page that has some nighttime shots, and indeed, it does look awesome.

And also more retail needs to be open on Sunday.

Ellen, I posted a link in a post at the top of this page that has some nighttime shots, and indeed, it does look awesome.

krazeeboi, Sorry I had overlooked your link. That first shot captures my favorite angle beautifully. Thanks!

No Excuse. lol... There's people on Atlanta's Peachtree on Sundays, there just needs to be more residential along Columbia's Main.

Right now they're in the Vista and Five Points on Sunday. More will be on Main Street, which I think should have it's name returned to Richardson Street, when the Sheraton Boutique hotel is complete and the Nickelodeon (sp) moves to their new digs just above Taylor in 2009. Thank goodness it's not just all about Main Street.

Columbia doesn't have blue laws for retail.

LOL, I was just about to type that, also. The only remaining vestige of blue laws in Richland County is the state law that stores can't sell alcohol on Sunday outside of the coastal areas and that bars and restaurants must get Sunday alcohol sales permits. Stores in Richland County may open whenever they like on Sundays.

They've been in a long interior demolition phase. I'll check the bin outside for signs of new debris when I go by. In the recent past it has gone from where you see nothing to where you see debris higher than the walls of the bin within hours. I haven't paid that close of attention to it in the last couple of weeks, though.

You're welcome. This morning I noticed the bin is still by the sidewalk, but I didn't see any debris in it. The construction company's Port-a-John is still there and the parking meters there still have plastic bags over them. The two windows they have thrown the debris from are still open without glass, and the "Danger"/Construction or whatever it says sign is still on the rear entrance. I could see through the top window that the interior has been gutted down to steel columns. They might just be catching their breath for the next round. I'll let you know if I actually see construction workers on-site.

I checked out the sculpture today on my lunch break and it looks really awesome. Water comes out from different parts and the sound of it coming down the sculpture is so calming. What a great addition to Main St. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera. :blush:

I got a chance to check it out this week also. It's really is a nice addition to downtown. I've never seen one of it's kind.

I was told this morning that First Citizen's Bank has long-term interest in developing the corner lot across from their headquarters at Lady and Main, but for right now they are making it into a little urban park. They are building the park now. Already they have laid an all brick, bow-shaped walkway through the heart of the lot, from the Main Street sidewalk to the Lady Street sidewalk. And they have little flags of different colors in the ground all over the lot marking where different things will be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...