Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Story in The State about the Main St. and North Main streetscaping projects. Due to financial restraints, the Main St. project will only go from Hampton to Blanding instead of to Laurel. The first phase of the long-awaited North Main project, now out for bids with a budget of $18 million in federal grants and matching city money, will start at the southern end, from Elmwood Avenue, and go to north of River Drive. A plan to work simultaneously from the northern end

To say I'm disappointed about having to wait even longer for the more northerly component of this project to begin is an understatement. I understand the lack of money, but I'm tired of waiting. I think the state should be a bigger provider of funds for the city of Columbia because the lack of tax revenue on state-owned property puts a major crimp in Columbia's budget. I think its amazing the city is able to balance its budget considering how much property is untaxed. Look at all of the USC property that provides no tax revenue.

The way I read it, only the second phase of the streetscaping will encompass the blocks from Hampton to Blanding. I'm assuming that (a) later phase(s) will encompass Blanding to Elmwood. If that is the case, you're probably looking at 2012 before the entirety of Main is streetscaped.

I'm with you concerning the state kicking in some dollars, Matt.

To say I'm disappointed about having to wait even longer for the more northerly component of this project to begin is an understatement. I understand the lack of money, but I'm tired of waiting. I think the state should be a bigger provider of funds for the city of Columbia because the lack of tax revenue on state-owned property puts a major crimp in Columbia's budget. I think its amazing the city is able to balance its budget considering how much property is untaxed. Look at all of the USC property that provides no tax revenue.

I understand your frustration, but that would be highly unfair to the other cities in the state. To say that USC provides no tax revue is not accurate. The 27000 students who go there provide a lot of tax revenue to the city.

I understand your frustration, but that would be highly unfair to the other cities in the state.

How so? What other city in the state has as much non-taxable state-owned property as Columbia? I'm not saying the state should throw a small fortune at Columbia, but it could provide some funds on a case-by-case basis, particularly when it comes to infrastructure.

I'm not saying the state should throw a small fortune at Columbia, but it could provide some funds on a case-by-case basis, particularly when it comes to infrastructure.

I agree, Columbia does alot for the state and its buildings. The buildings require fire protection provided by Cola Fire, as well as EMS and at time Cola Police. Plus these workers use city roads and use city water, the state really should give back more to Columbia to help it out a bit.

How so? What other city in the state has as much non-taxable state-owned property as Columbia? I'm not saying the state should throw a small fortune at Columbia, but it could provide some funds on a case-by-case basis, particularly when it comes to infrastructure.

While not state owned, non-taxable land in Spartanburg takes up about 1/4 of the entire city. Wofford, Converse, and SRMC and several large churches downtown are ever expanding. Government in general, and other smaller churches take up a lot of valuable real estate downtown and elsewhere. None of this is taxable. Its not all state government, but it makes an arguably larger impact because with a smaller population and smaller sales-tax-based offsets. Not to mention the much smaller corporate base in the city of Spartanburg vs the city of Columbia (in real terms or per capita). In Columbia the 27,000 students at Carolina plus the students at Allen and Benedict, plus the regular draw of visitors because of state government generate a lot of sales tax revenue, much more than in Spartanburg. I would also argue that state employees are better compensated than Spartanburg city and county government employees.

But I do agree, however, that its not unreasonable for the state to provide some money for investments that will improve the capital city that is supposed to represent the state. Using the land argument just doesn't work for me.

In the business section of yesterday's "The State," the journalist who writes about Columbia retail each Friday wrote that the Sheraton at Main and Washington is set to open in March and that a Starbucks will be in it.

That will be a nice addition to Main St. They also said there would be 4 restaurants /bars in there as well. I can't wait to see the finished product

That will be a nice addition to Main St. They also said there would be 4 restaurants /bars in there as well. I can't wait to see the finished product

I think some or all of those will actually be across the street in the old Republic Bank Building. With the Marriott and the Sheraton on the same block I think that part of Main Street could begin to generate some more nighttime activity.

Well i appreciate a strong kick :shok: of Starbucks (I do love Dunkin Donuts Coffee though!) every once in a while. I agree that the addition will add much needed foot traffic to the area and hopefully more retail :good: and restaurants. So we have a Hilton, a Marriott, a Radisson, and a Shareton...time to kick it up a notch with a W or something! :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...